Pumicestone Passage

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Pumicestone Passage

Post by jaylay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 pm

Fished the mouth of Pumicestone Passage this morning and managed about 20 fish (squire, bream, sweetlip and a tuskfish) but only a handful of bream legal. A terrific day with minimal traffic on the water.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Re: Pumicestone Passage

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:07 am

Good work. It's a nice time of the year in this part of the world.

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Fish junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Fish junkie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Nice work mate I myself grew up on bribie I managed to get out lastweekend and snagged 2 two ripper lizards casting gulp shrimp along the banks around the 112 marker and landed a solid 2.1 lb bream in the mouth of ningi creek many people say the passage is over fished I say they just don't look hard enough I find if I drift rather than anchor I alway manage a couple of nice fish.
Thanks Justin

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:02 am

I have really only discovered how to fish the passage properly. It amazes me at how much reefy type areas you can find. I got a lovely school mackeral about a month ago and my wife now prefers them to the snapper, flathead and bream!
So just when I think i'm on to a pattern of catching snapper, she changes her preference to macks. Typical...

Fish junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Fish junkie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Haha yer mate typical isn't it Its remarkable how many different species can be court in the passage I have even at times cought baby cobbia at the bridge I got a nice queenfish and golden travely about 2 months ago iv fished it now for 21 years and the place still amazes me everytime
thanks Justin

Willy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Willy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 pm

i have been fishing my local spot for about 2 months before i started getting great catches. i knew they where there just had to work out the best times tide moon phase and sun phases. this might sound silly but wind direction plays a huge part. my local spot will have all of those phases in place at the right time this coming weekend and i hope the is a little north chop to stir up the water for those big ones. i drift out live nippers with no lead that works well. i been getting bream around the kilo mark and a few of them in one session. i been getting good catches for the last few weeks and i have them down pat. that could change tho. but keep in mind it took me to months before i got my first decent bream it was a nice flat head that started my roll with a lure flick with the young fella for a bit of fun. ppl need to stop winging about the fact the the bay is out fished and sit there ass down and study the species they are targeting. a great way of doing this is have a look at low tide for rocks and weed so to speak. i gota go bigger line to get the bust off one back in the craft. 4 pound don't cut it for near 2 kilo around pylons

Fish junkie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Fish junkie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 am

Couldn't have said it better myself mate no matter where u fish their isn't going to be quality fish their alday every day so when u do land a couple of monsters write it Down wat tide it is wat time it is? Wat bait ur using and wat the wind is doing to many ppl depend on sounders and plotter to catch fish I know I'm guilty of it but when ur up a creek or passage try and use land marked when u get a couple take 3 different markes two across from u and one infrount I will be suprised how quick and accurate this method is especially if you only have a short time to fish a spot. On a more recent note I went out in the bay lastnight my god their is dome snapper about fish after fish evey drop by the end I was drifting my bait just to try and see wat else was around but still snapper I haven't seen the bay tat alive in years. I also cought a very nice sweetlip i started with 2 rods out by the end I was using 1 because I couldn't keep up with them I only kept 2 nice squire but it. Was easy to see how they must be coping a battering from every man and his dog .

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm

I had the same luck at Scarborough two weeks ago. I had two rods but couldn't keep up with the hits. They were mostly undersized but with some nice ones thrown in. I ahve never enjoyed myself so much. Just a few simple changes to tactics and staying away from the crowds.