Scarborough Reef

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Scarborough Reef

Post by jaylay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Had a fish at Scarborough Reef this morning and watched the team Humminbird boys give the area a good work over. Had another fun session with plenty of bream, sweetlip and small snapper to keep me busy. It is great to see the number of juvenile fish in the system but painful to throw them all back when they are just under.

Hooked up to my first ever decent snapper around 5kg. I was just praying to get a glimpse of whatever it was and when I saw pink I just panicked. I actually had it boatside before grabbing the leader to guide it in and popping it off at the jighead. Man those things pull. It is a feeling I can't wait to get again with any luck and have learned my lesson- I am buying a net.

All in all about 20 fish landed but all just under. A great day.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Re: Scarborough Reef

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Bad luck on the snapper. They're a great fish.

Tim said that it was pretty tough morning - hooked a couple of big bream but they ended up towing him home.

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks Steve. It was my first true snapper hookup and I was just excited to see it boatside. I was amazed to see a fish that size around Scarborough. I am just hoping that they aren't once in a blue moon type of fish for this area.
Tim sure knows his way around that reef. I have never seen a bloke navigate his way around all the little channels and outcrops like that.

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Fished Scarborough again on Sunday morning. Absolute carpark out there with almost 30 boats taking advantage of beautiful conditions (inspite of the heavy fog that came down). Lots of small bream and a few squire. Took a good sweetlip for lunch. The only legal of the day, but very hard to fish with the ridiculously heavy traffic buzzing by.

KevC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KevC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm

Get used to it dude, you should try it in a kayak, some of those pricks just have no idea. It is an absolute joke out there when the weather is good. By some miracle if you do actually manage to catch something decent amongst the buzzing of dodgy outboards and anchor chains bashing aluminium, you then need to deal with all the dregs that will swarm the area you were just fishing, they come like flies to a turd.

Fishes better when it is rough anyway. Too shallow to have glassed out conditions with big fish, they take off and come back when the surface is chopped up providing them a bit more cover.

Happy days,

Kev

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am

KevC wrote:they come like flies to a turd.
Hey Kev - I'd be more careful with your similies. People might think you smell bad!

;)

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sun May 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Out early again today to have a go at the reef again with bait this time. There were only a couple of boats around so we headed to a quiet southern part of the reef. The wind had picked up slightly as we came around the infamous stick and I was hoping that it might put off any boats from coming around to join us. Last time every man and his dog fished the northern section and my guess was that it is closest to the ramp and harbour.
We had anchored and set out our burley trail just before the sun had come up and no sooner had we got settled when we were joined by two boats who anchored within casting distance of us. This bloke proceeded to up anchor no less than six times to get further up wind of the reef all the while banging the chain around on deck. The other bloke motored with a wave right through our burley trail and fished on the other side.

Thoroughly annoyed, I moved off to find another sheltered spot as more and more boats came past. It is just unbelieveable the lack of courtesy shown by some fishermen.

We had missed my favourite bite time and I was ready to call it quits by 7.30 but my brother in law began to start pulling in bream after bream just over the side. We ended up with around 10-15 bream some which I just had for lunch.

It will be the last time I head out on a weekend. I'll wait for the June holidays!

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Jay,
You will have far more success fishing with plastics or hardbody lures in this area. If you don't have an electric bow mount motor drifting the wide rubble patches and casting down wind will get you onto the pinkies. Often fishing right on top of the reefs and amongst all the boats can get you pulling good numbers of bream. Fish V shallow with artificials.....

Jay
http://www.fishconnect.com.au

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Jay.

Thanks for the info. I read your reports regularly in QFM. Where exactly are the wide rubble patches? I don't have a sounder fitted yet so am still learning the area. I have lived and fished with my father at Redcliffe for 20 years yet am only now learning the intricacies. I have been fishing relatively close to the prominent stick at the end of the reef. Should I be closer to shore or out towards the bigger green marker?
Thanks so much for the advice.

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Thu May 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Jason,
The stick would have to be the heaviest fished area, must be like a beacon for boaties. Good fish can still be caught there though, fishes best when conditions are uncomfortable for most. My best advice would be to get familliar with the area in winter when the water in jin clear, especially when the sun is high. This will show many reefs scattered right along the peninsula to discover. As far as the rubble grounds are concerned look futher out past the prominent reef systems most of the bottom becomes a rubbly sand, look for bait or even other boats (especially the yakers) and get a sounder. Keep trying, you will find it.

Jay

KevC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KevC » Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 am

fishconnect wrote: look for bait or even other boats (especially the yakers) and get a sounder. Keep trying, you will find it.

Jay

Steady on there Jay. :shock:

The biggest reason the yakkers catch a few fish out here is because of the lack of noise in a kayak, having tinnies come by even under electric power does create more noise just from the gentle hull slap of water on aluminium, I am always shocked at how much extra noise there is when fishing from a tinny as compared to my yak. To suggest that tinnies follow us will upset a few as we already get stalked from time to time anyway.

Also whilst some of the yakkers may know where to find fish, many others will simply troll lures aimlessly (which does account for a large amount of fish and cannot de discounted as a successful method) or they follow other yakkers, as they don't feel comfortable out there alone :cry: .

As Jay has said above, get yourself a sounder and if you can stretch the budget enough a GPS won't go astray either (even a simple handheld model) as this will help you find those spots that you have sounded out again later. Drift to the South of the main reef away from the boat traffic in what appears to be barren water 500-1000m off shore and you will inevitably pass over the sections of rubbly bottom and wirey weed where the snapper forage, you may even drift over a couple of the more isolated bommies that are around this area but without a sounder and GPS they are hard to find. Keep your baits fresh and natural by presenting things that the fish are eating at the moment (big bannana prawns) and keep them as lightly weighted as possible. If fishing plastics keep the jighead weight to a minimum also and you will get more strikes, don't forget to leave a deadstick plastic drifting behind you as these account for plenty of quality fish, you just need to get the weight right so it isn't snagging all the time.

Hope this helps to get you onto a few snapper this season, early indications are it should be pretty good with quality fish showing up regularly already. I hope this also helps you to become a more independant and considerate fisherman also, and then you can sit back and watch the sheep gather around the post on a sunny Sunday morning thinking to yourself that you are glad you don't have to do that anymore.

Kev

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Tue May 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks so much for the info Kev. I generally try and make as little noise as possible but you cannot help the passing traffic. I fished out a little deeper but found the bottom was mostly silt so am just working out whether this was too deep. I will probably head in and a little closer to the boat ramp on Scarborough Reef. I imagine fishing as far out as the green blinker is probably too deep. It looks like the reef must run almost the entire length of the peninsula so hopefully I can find a spot relatively isolated and try the drift for the first time. I have been doing most fishing at anchor with a berley trail going. I don't know what your thoughts are on that. Do you recommend specific plastics? I have been told to upsize to 7 inch Jerkshads rather than 5 inch. Mate your information was awesome- thanks a heap.

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Jay,
Try fishing further south of the green tripod, bout halfway would be as good a place to begin your searching and mental mapping of the area. bugger the anchor off, use artificials for better results.
Beware the yaks, you can run them over if not looking, especially this time of the year when the sun comes up late! or you can just run them over anyway! Ha ha! :twisted: (just jokes - love yaks, just wouldn't fish in one @ sub 28 degrees).

Jay

KevC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KevC » Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 pm

fishconnect wrote: Beware the yaks, you can run them over if not looking, especially this time of the year when the sun comes up late! or you can just run them over anyway! Ha ha! :twisted: (just jokes - love yaks, just wouldn't fish in one @ sub 28 degrees).

Jay

You haven't lived....just need to paddle harder to warm up.

I'm all lit up though and hopefully pretty visible to boats as I live in fear of getting run over out there, The problem this creates though is that none of the other boats put their lights on because it attracts the guys who don't know where to fish and they end up heading over to the only lights they can see which is usually a me :roll: . Haven't been out before dawn in the yak this season yet though, been slumming with a mate in his tinny.

Try atomic 4 inch jerkshads in pumkinseed for the snaps on 1/8th or lighter jigheads with strong hooks, the jewies like the green ones in the same pattern. :wink: . I have also been getting good hits on 2" gulp shrimp in the famous banana prawn as my deadsticker, they have been getting smashed, but not big fish, lots of little fellas like this plastic.

Kev

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Wed May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Jay I tried fishing a few hundred metres directly south of the green blinker but found the bottom was mostly silt. Am I too far out? I see alot of the Yakers back closer to shore but further South almost opposite the Scarborough beach boat ramp. I'll try and avoid the traffic and stay well away from all. I will try the drift but not having the stealth of an electric I worry that I'll spook the fish. I though I should anchor and burley like crazy. I'll try the plastics again on a drift and see what comes. I have an Egrell S4 with a Certate 3000 and a Loomis 822 with a Sol 2500- what do you reckon is most suitable in this area? Thanks again for the generous info- I will invest in a sounder/GPS in the next few weeks- my wife still doesn't believe me when I told her one of the top anglers from the magazine I read told me I needed one! It would be great if you can have a snapper session added to your vids Jay. Kev if you get sick of the Yak give me a yell and we can head out. Thanks again

Jas

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Had another trip to Scarborough Reef this morning with my brother in law. Was early at the stick as there were no boats around. Great conditions with a bit of chop and overcast sky. We were bait fishing this time around as the conditions for fishing plastics were tough (didn't fancy taking a dive off the tinny cast platform due to the waves).

Brother in law landed a nice legal snapper after only 10 minutes. I followed up soon after with a long tom and plenty of undersized squire and some barely legal bream.
The bite was quite hot for about an hour and we managed another just legal snapper.

We hung around till around midday and bagged a couple of chopper tailor late in the morning and another legal snapper.
Was a terrific trip with a total of 12 small snapper, 3 legal snapper, 2 chopper, 1 whiting, 4 bream, 1 longtom and 3 trevally.

It was wonderful to see a huge number of garfish schooling under the boat. We caught on that went around 16 inches and was absolutely beautiful to look at. There must have been several hundred attracted by the berley a metre of so below the surface (we initially thought they were pike). I rigged a small gar up live but it went untouched through the morning.

A highly enjoyable day.

wacky1

Post by wacky1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Great report

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Had another trip out on Saturday last week in the overcast conditions around midday. More sloppy weather meant I put down the plastics yet again (I thought Winter was supposed to be calm!)

Fished the South of the stick as there were fewer boats that side and had a bait taken before I even got the second rod in. A small squire was the result. Rebaited and returned bait to water- again bait taken before second rod was put in- another small squire.
Each bait was being hit regardless of whether it was pilly, mullet, gar, herring, prawn or squid.
Finally managed to get the second rod in and had a wonderful hit that resulted in a 38 cm snapper so was dead pleased to have a fish for dinner. Minutes later had a lovely tailor take a bait. These guys were pestering the garfish schools relentlessly with showers of gar on the surface every few minutes. The gar have been there for many months now.
While I was rebaiting it I watched my Loomis 913 rod bent over so far that the tip was practically in the water with the drag set too tight (forgot to check after I cleaned it). Hooks pulled clean so rebaited and waited- literally seconds later I pulled in my best ever snapper of 45cm. Yeah I know its only a squire but I was trembling after the short fight.
As the light faded and the wind started howling I left for the trip home with 14 small squire, 3 bream, 2 keeper snaps and 2 tailor. It was an awesome couple of hours. In fact I only left because the bloody birds were hammering every bait I tossed out.
What an amazing fishery Scarborough Reef is. Brought home a feed on the last three trips now- my wife can stop making jokes about my fishing at parties.

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Another trip to Scarborough today. The rain seemed to keep most people away. Had another hot bite with plenty of undersized bream and snapper coming aboard.
Managed two legal snaps and lost two beasts with small hooks pulling. Trademark snapper runs before we parted. I thought spring would see the end of the snapper and am thankful I might get another couple of weeks yet.
Only low point was damaging the tip of my Loomis 913.

I love this place when its quiet.

Sofish
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Sofish » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Is any nice snapper around in Dec ?

timlow
Beginner
Beginner

Post by timlow » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:28 pm

tis my dream to catch a decent snapper, need to live a lot further south though!