Brissie River

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Brissie River

Post by jaylay » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Went out around 5am for only my second ever fish of the river. I was armed with a QFM article by Gavin Dunne talking about the hotspots. I couldn't for the life of me find Clara's Rock or the ledge using the marker bouys he used as directions so brother in law and I headed for the reclaimed section right down the end of the river mouth (but still in river).
Was a very disappointing day. Chucked my Jackal mask all morning at rocks and terminals for not a single hit. I am still yet to christen my year old Egrell S4 and Certate 3000 (even though I have only used them twice).
Brother in law was using bait and got a nice flathead, squire and pike.
Anyone got any tips on times, tides and areas to fish. I keep seeing photos of snapper, threadies and jew coming out of the river.
One problem I am going to fix is getting a sounder. I'd love a side imaging unit so will look around for one on the forums.

Good luck to everyone else. Don't rub it in if you catch more than me...

nadders
Angler
Angler

Re: Brissie River

Post by nadders » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 am

I rarely fish during the day but i've found the deeper water under the structures holds the fish in the daytime and a bit shallower at night

claras rock is marked by the big white flashing red beacon near the entrance to the boat passage where the river first starts to narrow after the swing basin (just infront of the caltex wharf) theres a rocky ledge that runs in line with that beacon paralell to the banks.

literally all of the structures and rockwalls hold fish its just a matter of how each piece of real estate interacts with the tide, and thats something you have to work out for each spot. you want current on one side and slacker water + eddies on the other and you're in business

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Stephen Booth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stephen Booth » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:51 am

Guys

This post has been edited to take out the idiocy that comes with Brisbane River fishing and silly preferences with lures.

Please help where you can and try to get JayJay onto fish with real information.

It would be a shame to lock a topic that has such a big opportunity to help many on these boards because of small minded stupidity.

Keep it on track.

SB
Stephen Booth
QFM

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi Stephen.

I don't quite understand what was silly. Is it a particular lure in question? Please excuse my ignorance- I don't normally use these types of lures and only bought the masks based on Gavin Dunne's advice.

Thanks

Jay

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Jay, you will get fish there on Masks. Gav's advice is good, but you have to understand that it is only a guide the fish aren't always there. I fished with Gav on a regular basis and we nearly always caught fish, but we did have to find other spots at times. Keep trying, you will come upon fish soon enough. I suggest that you make a sounder your #1 purchase, your basically pissing into the wind without one. Once you have a sounder you will be able to find the structure that Gav has written about.

Hope that helps a bit.

Brad.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><