Scarborough Reef

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Scarborough Reef

Post by jaylay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:09 pm

First trip out for the year to the reef in my little tinny. Had a Humminbird 798 fitted over the break and was out investigating. Was terrible weather heading out which kept a few boats away, but improved as the evening wore on.
Used the side and down imaging to mark some great spots well away from the usual stick marker that I fish. The sounder wasn't liking the movement too much and I will have to work it out before the next trip.
Managed a nice snap of around 2kg and lost one at the boat that was larger again. Also had my first ever jew. It went around 60cm so went back but I was over the moon with getting one at long last. Also picked up a nice red throat emperor and numerous bream to 40cm. Fishing was running hot until a boat saw me hook up to the snap and came motoring over within casting range. After they dropped the pick rather loudly, then up anchored an hour later, the fish went off the chew. Still disappointed with the courtesy anglers show each other. But a great trip. I am in love with my sounder when it was working (considering it was worth as much as the boat). Now I have to figure out why I get static lines running through intermittently. Scarborough remains a fave haunt.

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Re: Scarborough Reef

Post by jaylay » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Was back at the reef today in spite of the wind. No other boats about so used the sounder and GPS to locate the mark from last week. Moved slightly because of the great showing on the side imaging unit. It was about an hour until the fish came on. In between re-rigging (I lost more tackle than I have ever done before) we managed at least a dozen bream with one going 41cm and three good Snaps. I had my best snapper of 50cm so was thrilled. It didn't matter what we put down it was being snaffled up.

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:47 pm

My worst trip to the reef today. Plenty of boats around. I headed out to my usual spot but with boats all around I pushed a little wider. Second cast of the day had me hooked up to a little snap of 37cm then nothing. A few hours later out of nowhere I hooked another pb snap of 58cm at the reef. Very difficult fishing with the amount of traffic.

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Another trip to the reef yesterday!
I went out alot wider than I fish usually decided to try more Deception Bay/Scarborough Spit direction over a patch of rock (seems to be everywhere out from the spit). Anchored up and sent out some baits. Was a terrific trip with 1 cod around 45 cm (released) 5 legal snaps the biggest going 50cm (kept 4) and 5 great tailor biggest going 60cm (kept 2). It was the first time I have ever had a fish leap out the water when the tailor struck and actually had two tailor on at the same time. The conditions were great and it made a huge difference fishing away from the hoards of people. I can't believe how great this year has been for snapper and tailor on the Redcliffe reefs.

KevC
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KevC » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:39 am

Hey Jay,

I've been following your trip reports from Scarby and it looks as though you are really starting to get the place wired! Well done mate, it's really good to see you read between the lines and take on the advise of others. You certainly seem to be a competent, thinking and self reliant fisherman that will soon be dishing out the same info to others that you feel could do with some advise.

Scarborough is a great spot to fish and there are some amazing captures still coming from this area. It is just a shame that so many people are so ignorant / inconsiderate of other users of this great place, sometimes they can really spoil your day.

As a side note, don't feel that winter is the only time to target the snapper out there. There were still snapper up to and over 90cm being caught out there in October this year and my own records show fish all through summer in previous years. The 2010/2011 rain certainly slowed them down last year though but hopefully there will be a few around this summer to keep things interesting.

Now that you are building up your data base of spots, it might be time to consider also keeping a log of your catches to refer to in the future, this can be an extremely useful tool when the fishing can seem tough.

Cheers

Kev

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback Kev.

Haven't been out in two months which is driving me nuts but will be back on the water over Christmas and am keen to see what is around. Had my best ever year on the reef with at least a good feed of fish coming home. I bagged out on snaps twice and had a pb of 62cm so am very keen to see if I can beat it.
The sounder made a world of difference but I am still getting used to it. My problem has been that the fishing in my main spot has been so good I rarely ventured out from it. I will certainly be heading out soon to sound some good spots.
Really appreciate the feedback.
Best wishes for the new year!

Jase