Hobie 2nd world Fishing Championships - Texas USA

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

justcrusin
Angler
Angler

Hobie 2nd world Fishing Championships - Texas USA

Post by justcrusin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 am

G’day all,

Got back and caught up on some Z's body clocks still a bit out but its all good. Texas USA geez where so I start, since I started kayak fishing many years ago now it has taken me to so many different places that I would have never gone before and man what a blast.
First a huge thanks to all the Texan's we meet while we were over there an extremely hospitable group of people, if anyone thinks the Australians are the friendliest people in the world I reckon the Texans go close to taking that mantle off us.

Also a huge thanks to my sponsors Austackle who helped out with a lot of great gear to take with me, but we will get on to techniques and stuff in a minute.
Firstly but who can go to the USA without visiting one of the gigantic mega fishing hunting stores they have, there wasn’t a bass pro anywhere near us but the Bupa Cabelas was about a 40 min drive. This place was awesome I would say a Bunning’s sized big boys toys shop but in truth it was four to five times the sizes of anything we have in Australia and this was just one store. A must see for anyone going over.

Now we flew in a day or so early to get over the jet lag so at this point were for the most part the only competitors there, along with Adrian Baguely from Thailand.
I simply couldn’t get a picture that took in the whole store some of the guys had panorama cameras and will have some awesome shots but to start off they have huge displays of stuffed animals in recreated natural environments where you would find them. So the centre of the store is a mountain covered with goats and foxes and of course a trout stream filled with live trout and a huge Moose standing in the water. and of course an aquarium filled with many different types of catfish and huge bass.

then to the toys, now think of everything you ever wanted to look at in a outdoor store and then combine that with the matrix gun rack scene, didn’t matter what fishing rods, compound bows, shotguns, rifles, air rifles, hunting cloths, ATV, camping gear just masses and masses of it.

and of course the food after filling our trolleys with senko worms, frogs, sliding weights, worms hooks, umbrella rigs, casting reels, flukes in tonnes of different shapes sizes and colours. We headed next door to a place recommended by Jackie Smith called cracker barrel and this was to be our second experience of Texan food. It served home cooked style meals but the servings for $12 my plate was overflowing with Meat and then you had a choice of sides on top of that, so far even the mundane was blowing us away.

Another massive dinner that night and a few drinks at the plethora of local restaurants and Scott Baker had organised us a local fishing guide and his mates to take us out on another local lake, lake Travis part of the Colorado river for our first taste of Large mouth Bass fishing. The local legal length is 14" or in metric 35.56 cm now one of the best things about these bass is the fact they love surface fishing and not just in the morning which was difficult to come to terms with but they loved hitting surface all day long :D AWESOME lol

We rounded what afterwoods we believed to be the guides favourite spot on this lake as his demeanor suggested he was going to show us a thing or two here and hook up first cast on a surface chatter bait / propeller style lure and much to his surprise didn’t LOL now don’t get me wrong here he was and absolute top bloke who shared everything he new about bass fishing with us that day, including giving us some of his favourite SP's for the different lakes over the next couple of days and again that Texan hospitality shone through.
So we continued to work the bank round the corner and I was throwing an Austackle Skippy walk the dog surface lure in black chevron at some floating pontoons and got smashed with an almighty explosion of water. If this was a bream it was going to be a metre long with the amount of water that went flying but these fish love the surface and put everything into a strike 8) and I mean everything, one super huge hit was all you got but they rarely missed. It was not the usual surface blooping we do here and wait for the several strikes, it was just BOOOM game on.
Now with all this hype you would thing I had a huge fish but I pulled a just legal (about 37cm) fish into the boat LOL but I was stoked to get my first bass and even more stoked I got him on the surface.

THE COMP DAYS

So the comp days were here and we rolled up to Lake Bastrop just outside Austin Texas for our first two days of comp fishing.

Day one was the prefish day so a chance to try out some different styles of fishing and a lot of different rigs than we were used to and of course meet the fish :twisted:
Hobie split us up into teaching teams for the day with two of the American anglers per team and I was lucky enough to get Jose Chavez and Jackie Smith two top blokes. Jose pulled us asside as we got on the water and gave us a run down on what rigs he would be using that day and what sort of techniques would work. He pointed out a few likely areas and away we went. Myself Merv Lowe from Singapore and Nina Kavo'n from Finland headed off together and fished the first point accross from the start line working up towards the hot water outlet cannel.

Now these fish love worms and I was thinking oh great deadsticking works for four days brillant :shock: but this wasnt to be the case, my worm of choice was a 5" senko worm rigged on a 2/0 gamakatsu worm hook, in a weedless presentation with no weight, the hook itself was enough to give it a slight slow sink rate.
We worked the edges of the reed banks casting the worm as far into the thick duck weed as we could and Merv struck first with a great looking 18" bass

About ten minutes later I was on in the same style. It was very exciting when these fish strike from between the reeds I was using a 8lb fireline crystal with a 10lb FC rock leader on an Austackle Dominator 4-8kg rod. The fight was different to what I was use to these fish love to jump so trying to keep your rod tip low was important but at the same time I was only about 2-3m off the thick reeds and needed to get him to deep water. The blister runs werent there but these fish do fight hard and it took a bit to get them near the boat.

You can see the thick reeds we were fishing in the back ground

this first fish just ticked over 19" or 48.26cm

I worked my way around the lake trying as many different styles as I could but the worms in the reeds seemed to work for me as I came back to it again later in the day and pulled out a nice 16" fish

COMP DAY 1

I headed out from the start to the spots that worked so well the day before and second cast of the worm BOOOM i was on, but with just as quick style the fish had me back in the reeds and cut through my leader :(
From there things slowed dramatically cast after cast into the reeds and nothing was working it ticked over 10 o'clock and with nothing in the well so to speak I was to say the least getting worried with thoughts of donuts heading my way.
The day before I had spied a lot of bait fish that looked similar to small mullet back home so I pulled out an Austackle Destroyer in yellow legend colour and started casting it along the edges of the drop offs, I hit a spot were a small underwater creek line for want of a better discription meet the edge of the drop off and BOOM game on.
I was working the lure on a Austackle dominator 2-4kg rod spooled with 6lb FC sniper straight through mono so there was a bit more a fight this time on the lighter line, but I was also out in open water and able to take my time

Austackle Destroyer in Yellow Legend

I worked this area for a bit and managed to pull my bag in quick succession I started with a 14 then a 16.5 then a 16 and finally a 17 joined me to get that little 14 out of the bag :)

Austackle Destroyer in Yellow Legend

Hobie Provided these great measuring sticks for the event

Coming back in at the end of the Day it was apperent that most people had struggled, while nearly everyone got fish it was a lot tougher than prefish day, so I was stoked to be in the top ten at the end of day one.

COMP DAY 2

Well our first day on lake Fayetteville, this lake was a lot bigger than the day one lake of Bastrop and promised to hold even bigger fish

I decided to head to the left of the start line at Oak Thicket Park (top centre of map) and worked my way around the shore line in similar style to the day before. I had the Destroyer rigged along with a Senko worm, a spinner bait and a vibe done up Custom Lure Art
As I worked the edges it quickly became apprent that this was a very different lake, the hydrilla weed on the edges was solid for one to two meters off the reeds and impossible to get a sinking lure near and then patching out till about 2 -3 meters deep.
I couldn't seem to get any lure to work for me but eventually a nice 20" bass hooked up to the Destroyer and joined me on the deck, I though if I keep working the same way all day I will get the three fish I need but it wasnt to be and a huge bummer seeing me fall way back in the pack with only one fish for the day.

My 20" fish from Day 2

Many beers that night and some disscussions with Richard and Adrian had a new plan for day three.

COMP DAY 3

Well out of contention it was time to redeem myself a bit and see If I could pull back into the top ten. A new planned had formed over beers the day before. I knew the area that held good fish I just needed a better technique for catching them.
Here enters the Frog, this is possibly the most unusual lure I think I have ever used combined with the most exciting stikes from big fish.

I was using a ribbits frog that had paddle tails of both legs an rigged it on a 2/0 gama worm hook, the technique was simple cast the frog into some where you could never get another lure and wind it back in :shock: when I say Never get another lure I mean it casting over the 2 meters of grass thick Hydrilla and into the duck reeds, the weedless presentation would simply wind back through the heavy grass.

On my first drift I am retrieving over the weeds and BOOOM this allmight fish rockets through the thick matted weed into the sky with my frog in its mouth, remember these fish dont miss, there mouth is that big they would have to be a long way off target anyway. LOL
But here is were I stuffed up I counted one two and put in a huge strike ripping the frog fishes mouth BUGGGERR

I resettle and came down from the adreniline and kept working the bank i reached the end of the bay and started working towards the next point and BOOOM the weed beds erupt again this time I dont strike and let the fish do the work the line draws tight and he's on and theres a heap of weight on the Domintar rod this is a good fish. Luckily he runs for open water out of the reed and I am able to play him into the net and a very happy camper to have such a good fish in the bag.

My first 20" fish of Day 3

The first fish had demoplished the frog so after a couple of happy snaps a quick re rig I'm fishing again and not more than five casts later BOOOM the frog goes rocketing in the air with another huge bass on it, this guys heads for open water again an I'm thinking yeah but then he turns and freight trains it back into the thick hydrilla weed.
Now we got problems the Domintor rod is bent way over with the fish and half a weed bed on, so I reel the kayak into the weeds and get up beside the fish who is deep inside around a meter deep of hydrilla but I have him hooked good with one hand keep tension on the rod, the other I grab the net and start digging my way through the weeds, after what seemed like an eternity the with my arm in the air above my head keeping tension on the rod trying not to high stick it, the other digging away I feel the net bump the fish :) I dive the net deep under him and pull the fish along with about 10kg of weed into the yak Number two in the bag and its a big fat bugger, I'm squealing like a school girl at a justin bieber concert and all this before 8 o'clock

My Second 20" fish of day 3

The adrenilin is pumping through me at this point delusions of grandure running through my mind but then things shut down, the next three hours were a slog working my way around the edges of the lake casting frog after frog for nothing. I went into heavily wooded bays of trees in about 3-4m of water letting the worms drift down the trunks but alas nothing.
Reaching my planned cut off point for the day I peddled back to cove were I got the fish that morning and started frogging it up again but only recieved a strike from a very small bass. I continued to frog it up and made the turn into the home bay to see well over half the field fishing out deep in the bay.
With thoughts of drop shooting I was not yet ready to give up on the frog and as I worked down the thick hydrilla again the water erupts for a third time another huge bass has smashed my frog, this bloke runs for deeper water but even with my rod tip low puts on a couple of aieral displays before my third for the day slides in the net.

My third 20" fish of the day

I had managed to pull back a few spots but the only bag of the comp to hit 60" wasnt enough to get back my stuff up from day two and get me into the top ten. I was however stoked to take out Day 3 and complete my world championships on a high.

Finished up 16th over all but had a great time made some awesome new friends and really want to quailify for the next worlds now, that was such a great time. It was also good to see the top ten peppered with people from all around the world not just dominated but US or Aust. It was a true international event and I think one that a lot of people will now be aiming to get there names down for next year.

On the podium for Day three

Cheers Hedgy

aussieweekender
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Hobie 2nd world Fishing Championships - Texas USA

Post by aussieweekender » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:50 pm

That was a really interesting report. Well done on the result and fish you caught.

Natoli59

Post by Natoli59 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Just think no matter where you finished you had a great experince and met some wonderful people. If you put your mind to it you will definately qualify for the next worlds.
Any Day on the Water Fishing is a wonderful Day

justcrusin
Angler
Angler

Post by justcrusin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

cheers for the comments Guys, I felt really privelleged to be there, the level of fishing has risen in the kayaks over the last few years and quailifying last year or again this year was a challenge and I think will be for the forseeable future.

Cheers Hedgy

danh124
Beginner
Beginner

Post by danh124 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Nice write up Dave!

Tweedbass
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tweedbass » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Top report mate & congrats on a super effort!