Tweed River Stuff

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

Stephen Booth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tweed River Stuff

Post by Stephen Booth » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:21 pm

On a very windy Easter Tuesday (yep we had it off), Trent Butler and I headed down to the Tweed to chase some bream in howling 30 knot south easters as the tuna playing field was running at 3 metres and I am partial to spewing my guts out in such conditions.
We launched at Kennedy Dve and nicked into the canal system immediately next to the boat ramp and started catching bream straight away. We got about 30 between us with some flatties and a monster sand whiting thrown on for a good mix. A lot of the bream came off the sand between pontoons as there aren't many in that canal and a lot were good fish too (>28cm fork). We used an Ecogear Mini-Tank and a new soft plastic crawfish imitation (sorry don't know the name) that was about an inch long and ideal. We got them from the Anglers Warehouse when we bought our fishing licences.
We then headed out to the Tweed proper and fished some rock walls. Drifitng with the wind was interesting and we upsized everything and both used 3" Ecogear ParaMaxs. They worked well in the fast drift and outgoing tide with the bream smacking them as hard as any bream I've ever fished at. We moved right down to the mouth and had a quick fish with Trent catching a luderick on a ParaMax and then we headed to a lee rock wall back towards Terranora Inlet. The tide was running out and the drift over shallow oyster rocks has to go down as some of the best breaming I have done. I used a pink ParaMax and Trent a white one and if you cast the lure into the shallow rocks and hopped it out with the tide the bream were lining up to smash 'em - and so too were the blow fish (which really really really love pink ParaMaxs). After losing about 15 tails to blow fish I changed to a PrawnStar Shrimp and continued to catch fish after fish, with Trent just bettering me with the palstics. All of these fish pulled as hard as any bream I have hooked which was probably from shallow water and fast tide, with many of them going over 30cm fork - awesome.
At day's end we had scored a heap of fish including bream (about 50 bream would sound about right but it was probably more), flathead, whiting, blow fish, luderick, some weird rock fish and a big stingray I couldn't help but hook to see how good my drag was.
Great day in very ordinary weather and great to go somewhere other than the Nerang. The Tweed fished every bit as good (probably better) than the Nerang has been lately for me.
Cheers
Stephen Booth
QFM

Chilli Willi

Tweed River @ Easter

Post by Chilli Willi » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:38 am

We had a group that went to the Tweed for Easter. I would like to know your secrets because the only thing we caught all weekend was a just on size Bream and a couple of small Whiting. We are from Toowoomba, QLD, so we don't know the area well. We set off from the boat ramp under the Tweed ByPass Bridge and fished around the Anchorage Islands up to the enterance to the Tweed River and around to the Sand Banks off the Golf Club.

We love the area and would love to catch some fish there so any local help would be appreciated.

Chilli Willi
Toowoomba, QLD

Stephen Booth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stephen Booth » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:52 am

Chilli

You're best off having a chat or chartering Mangrove Jack's Sportfishing proprietor Gary Prerost. Spent years guiding and fishing the system and has even taken me to a thrilling six love defeat against jacks one day. Losing fish is every bit as much fun as landing them too.

Gary's contacts are 0412 626 947

Cheers
Stephen Booth
QFM

Jesse Lomas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jesse Lomas » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:05 pm

It's a shame that doesn't apply to longtails hey booth?

Stephen Booth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stephen Booth » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:07 pm

Piss off smart arse or I'll ban you from the Gold Coast round.

Seriously though the Tweed is a great fishery and Gary knows it inside and out.

Cheers to everyone bar Jessie (and yes I spelt it wrong on purpose)
Stephen Booth
QFM

Jesse Lomas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jesse Lomas » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:07 pm

:lol:

Booth, since you seem to be struggling to pay me out, I'll give you a few pointers.

a). I have never caught a longtail.

b). Check out the Bass Classic scores and see who positioned above me. :(

Just a few tips, use 'em wisely :wink:

J

Chilli Willi

Post by Chilli Willi » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:41 pm

Thanks Boothy.

I will have to look him up next time I am down that way. I am heading up the Caloundra this weekend. Know of any good spots up there?

samdurn
Angler
Angler

Re: Tweed River Stuff

Post by samdurn » Sat May 01, 2010 9:43 am

charters are the best way to go mate

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Thu May 06, 2010 6:12 am

Wow what a blast from the past, bet Boothy remembers that day back in 2003 :-)
Cheers Tony

marcel_krieger
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by marcel_krieger » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 am

I also read this and thought how times have changed. Boothy going bream fishing over flathead and barra. haha
Cheers,

Marcel Krieger

ABT 07 3387 0888