Mary River Mega Bass

Been fishing recently? .... Post the results of your latest trip.

Moderator: Big_unit

Big_unit

Re: Mary River Mega Bass

Post by Big_unit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Thats a cracker, well done.

Thinking of putting in at Petrie Park and going for a run myself shortly, anyone feel like being a deckie for the day ?

Cheers
James

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Tiaro

TonyM
Angler
Angler

Post by TonyM » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Nice fish there Tagged, you did better than I did on the Barra yesterday! :lol:

Great to see such a thriving fishery on our doorstep!
Cheers,
Tony

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:36 am

Thriving because so many people have no clue that it exists.

Im looking forward to getting out there and having a look around, its been a while.

Cheers
James

Rupe
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rupe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 pm

I may be wrong but isnt it still closed season for Bass???

Rupe

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Australian bass

A closed season applies to Australian bass throughout Queensland from 1 June to 31 August except in and from waterways upstream of Baroon Pocket, Bjelke-Petersen, Boondooma, Borumba, Cania, Cressbrook, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Gordonbrook, Hinze, Lenthalls, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset, Wuruma and Wivenhoe dams; Claude Wharton and Jones weirs; Isis Balancing Storage (Lake Gregory) and Clarendon, Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam) and MacDonald lakes.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/h ... A_HTML.htm

Cheers
James

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Rupe wrote:I may be wrong but isnt it still closed season for Bass???

Rupe
Good point mate, lucky I booked in our trip to the Mary River for early September.

Cheers
James

Rupe
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rupe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Not having a shot Craig, just jealous thats all...i've got a timer counting down til I start chasing them...
I've heard lots of stories of people starting to catch big bass in big numbers but just dont want to risk being caught! theres not a lot of other species to 'target' in the waters i lurk in...

Rupe

paulf
Angler
Angler

Post by paulf » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 pm

As a member of the Lake Macdonald stocking group we try to hold a social club comp every now and then below the spillway to try to catch some of the fish that have gone over the wall. We recently tried to have one of these comps using a permit to fish the exclusion zone ( the stocking group has this ) and was told because it was a closed season on BASS even thou we have this permit we were not permitted to fish the area and that if we went ahead with comp we could be fined and the permit ripped up. The fisheries guys regularly visit the area just below the spillway and have fined a number of people in the last 6 months for fishing the exclusion zone and also for fishing during the closed season !!
Paul
Still Trying

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Tagged wrote:And as a result all the fish below the wall die. They quickly chew up all the food and then become food for the Cod. Same happened at the bottom Lenthals at the salt water. I've lost 40 cm Bass to Cod in the Six Mile.
Introducing 100 000 Bass to a small creek like the Six Mile when it overflows has a huge impact on the environment.
I heard that 2500 Bass were removed from below Borumba Dam when they did the work on the wall.
Here is the full story about the bass at Lenthalls you are referring too.

Lake Lenthall flows into Number 2 weir which flows into Number 1 weir which flows into the salt water of the Burrum river.

Number 1 Weir has a fish passage that was built years ago and due to lack of experience & knowledge is only suited to salmonoids. This type of fishway has proven to be a barrier to Australian natives as far as I am aware.

Consultations into a new fish passageway have been done by Wide Bay Water Corporation in consultation with relevant government authorities and some community groups. Tenders were sought and they are currently going through the approvals process. I believe that Wide Bay Water has allocated a significant amount towards its design, development and construction. Some funding is available through state and federal governments as I understand it.

Its great that Wide Bay Water Corp have seen that there is a problem and have acted accordingly.

FYI - There were a number of dead bass in the saltwater section and I had the job of removing the rotting carcasses from the water to ensure water quality was not compromised. This happened around the same time as the large croc was supposedly lurking in the same section of river. Made the job a little more interesting.

Cheers
James

Big_unit

Post by Big_unit » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah some have been very unpleasant and removing dead fish was one of the better jobs on that list, dealing with complete and utter morons ( and thats putting it very nicely ) was definetely the worst of the bad jobs.

Cheers
James

flat rock
Angler
Angler

Post by flat rock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:15 am

thats a thumper well done

DylanW
Angler
Angler