Where to find Sand grabbers

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

The Truth

Where to find Sand grabbers

Post by The Truth » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey guys

Can anyone tell me where i can find some sand grabbers/grip/breakaway sinkers in Brisbane? You can get them anywhere in NZ and they are online but postage is a pain in the ass. I reckon these are the best surf sinkers ever so if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

John Softly

Re: Where to find Sand grabbers

Post by John Softly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Sand grabbers or Breakaway Sinkers (after the firn which originally invented them) are available from Breakaway and Gemini - both UK companies and postage is prohibative. I have seen 2 and 3 ounce anchor sinkers in Brisbane tackle shops which were marked Surecatch and would have been wholesaled by Wilsons.
My fellow fishing mates and I use these sinkers and we all make our own from moulds purchased from the UK. I use DCA in 3,4,5 and 6 ounce and Namix in 4 ounce (actually 4.25 ounce). UK hooks also do moulds and your best bet is Ebay, for DCA moulds which are no longer manufactured, UK Hooks and others. Veals in Bristol from whom I purchase all my tackle also sell moulds
https://www.veals.co.uk
There is a thread on the subject on this forum way back on Dec 30th 2005 - check it out.
Cheers
John

The Truth

Post by The Truth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for your help mate.
Cheers

tima
Angler
Angler

Post by tima » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Truth

John and I saw then at the tackle shop at Carseldine service station a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Tim