breaking the ice

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

Rod B
Angler
Angler

breaking the ice

Post by Rod B » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:47 pm

Well someone had to be first so it might as well be me.
With a bit of luck we can produce a usefull forum regarding surfcasting and the like without massaging ego's. Distance is usefull but not the be all and end all of what goes on in the real world when fishing on the beach.
Rigs, rods, head winds and all the fishing paraphernalia we take with us.
I am investigating an idea to attach an extra set of grip wires to a long tail sinker. Comments are welcome, but be polite, the ends of the wire are sharp :oops:

The blue tack is not part of the idea :lol:

Rod.
Last edited by Rod B on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi Rod,
Extra grip wires or stiffer wires bring about the conundrum of the required line strength to extract them possibly creating more drag . One solution I found was to use braid -I use 20 lb Fireline which gives the drag of .30 mono with an actual strength with good knots of 50lb and thus has no problem extracting the sinker. As a side benefit I was also able to extract a 7 kilo stargazer which would have been impossible with lighter line.

Another alternative would be to use heavier wires such as TIG welding wire at around 2mm dia which I have done successfully. For extreme currents a triangular fluke crimped or otherwise fixed to the wires would convert what is currently a reef anchor into a sand anchor. I haven't tried the last idea but it may be worth playing with.

Rod B
Angler
Angler

more grip

Post by Rod B » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:56 pm

I currently use TIG rods for the tail wire and MIG wire for the grip wires.
The idea of flattening the ends of the grip wires had occured to me, I contemplated just beating the *@%#& out of the ends of the wires to get more grip.
There has to be a minimum of work involved as I take the view that when I cast I am throwing everything on the end of the line away. If I get it back to use again, that's a bonus. The cost of the gear to make end rigs is not that costly per piece, but if one looses a lot of gear then it adds up.
Making our own 'toys' is one cost we can control.
Rod.

soap
Angler
Angler

Post by soap » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:59 pm

Rod I think you would be looking at 10 kilo minimum for that rig, but it interests me for where I fish( south west vic) such a rig would put me into action in the hideous 2 meter ground swells that otherwise expel me from the beach, alot of the time I drive for 1 1/2 hours to my fav beaches, renound for deep gutters, and find although the swell is big the gutters remain open to the sea but move further off shore (150m+) and the old 6oz star sinker just doesn't cut it, these waters hold some BIG sharks like Gummy, school, bronzies and ofcause jewies ect ect and they move into the beaches with the swell to feed. In the past you could catch them on the last coupple of days of a big swell (as it dies off) better rigs mean more opportunity to fish the wild south west . Let me know how it goes :D

Lee

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm

The aluminium sleeves I use to make endloops in 250lb mono flatten out to around 7mm and would squash onto the ends of the trip wires OK. If the end of the wire was given a gentle flogging first the sleeves wouldn't rotate on them. You could cut the sleeves in half as they are fairly long and are pretty cheap anyway. I buy them from Wellsy's at Caloundra.

Ian

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:39 pm

On second thought, rather than flatten the trip wire ends it would be simpler and more effective to bend the tip back on itself, that way the sleeve definitely couldn't rotate or come off.

Ian

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:31 am

Hi Guys,
The link from the main sinker to the plastic sinker needs to be flexible so that the lighter sinker breaks out first.
Here are a some breakout sinkers from my tackle box. Breakaway, Gemini and home made.

I have no trouble in breaking out under normal conditions but when there is a great deal of sand movement on an outer bank even a 90 gram sinker takes a lot of pressure to move - sometimes pressure has to be applied for as long as five minutes before the sinker will break out. At close range I usually use non anchored sinkers. I fish with mono - 0.35 (15 lb) for tailor/jew but 0.28 (9) for dart bream etc. The beaches we fish are clean.
For those interested the sinkers in the pic (L to R) are:- 90 gram short tail Breakaway, 90 gram long tail Breakaway, 150 gram Impact Breakaway,130 gram standard Gemini and a 150 gram flatback Gemini.
The horizontal sinkers are a homemade DCA 4 ounce and a plastic Breakaway. All breakout sinkers are adjustable for tension. BTW plastic tubing over the anchor wires, as on the Gemini's, is a good way to get extra grip. Is that what you mean Ian?
Cheers
John
Last edited by John Softly on Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Yes. Sometimes the sidesweep is too ferocious to hold with a standard breakaway, especially when fishing the outer spits around here. I assumed that was the same problem Rod was seeking to overcome.
Similar to anchoring a boat - I had to join two anchors with a lenght of chain up on the reef a few weeks ago to hold in the wind and current when I wasn't sure of being able to retrieve a reef anchor. Great patch of Red Emperor and Cobia made it worthwhile.

Ian

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Moulds or Sinkers

Post by Roy Watson » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:19 pm

Guys,

Where in Brissie can one buy moulds for casting weights? I have tried to source moulds and weights in Bris. and Melbourne, but can't find anything better than the "Snapper Lead" moulds.

Roy
Roy Watson

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Roy,
DCA of Cardiff went out of business but there is a mould source in the UK for breakout sinkers. Rod Bolton will no doubt give a detailed reply on where to get them when he reads your reply - he has the up to date UK magazines. You could try Veals or Mainwarings.
Cheers
John

LEIGH ROBINSON
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by LEIGH ROBINSON » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:47 pm

Keep an eye on ebay for dca moulds as they do come up ,Leigh

ratherbfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by ratherbfishing » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:43 am

:D hey rod :D

the gemini leads john has shown as you probally know have a screw on head , the yellow pointed nose cones fixed wire kits are really good for holding in strong tides/currents you can choose how you bend them either at right angles or bring them straight back up from were they exit the nose cone to make them a bit more aerodynamic should you need a bit more distance :wink: if you can get the mould then shipping over the heads is not so painfull on the pocket,and there are quite a few different configurations available for you to try,just a thought mate ,hope this helps.

regards

paul :D
living for fishing