Rigs/tips for casting yakka’s …

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

Rigs/tips for casting yakka’s …

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:53 pm

G’Day Board,

I have recently discovered the wonderful world of using ‘livies’ (yakka’s in particular) when fishing off my local rock platforms. Problem is I never seem to be able to get a good long cast going. More often than not I’ll end up with the yakka swimming around just below my feet – not the 20 or 30 meters out which it needs to be in order to work my favourite reef/channel.

I suppose what I’m really after is some sagely advice on some other rigs/tips/tricks/techniques …. anything - to help improve the distance of my casts when throwing the ‘livies’ off the stones

For sake of the argument the rig I have been using is just a garden variety “livie float rig” (braid > bimini double > 2mtr flurocarbon leader w/ the float[weighted] running on leader between 2x float stops) as I have been trying to fish the top of the water column.

Any ideas, thoughts etc. are greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines,
Mothy

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:48 pm

If you put the hook well towards the tail on the top side the yakka will cast head first quite a bit further and will then usually swimm away from the trailing line which means offshore. Sometimes you get one that just can,t be trained and insists on swimming back in, often because there's toothy critters out there too. These ones make good butterflied baits to float in the wash at yourfeet for a jew while waiting for the pelagics.

Ian

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:09 pm

Welcome Mothy,
My experience with rock fishing is pretty limited but I did do some serious land based game back in the late 70's. This was off Kirra rock when there was very deep water on the north side. Kingies were the target, live yakkas and butter bream the bait. Fairly light floats with the yakka hooked just aft of the dorsal. They used to swim out away from the rock for 20 to 40 metres but the mono had to be greased so that it floated and didn't belly. In six months we only landed two fish - over 30 pounds if memory serves me correctly but on every trip the three of us all had hook ups. Lost a lot of gear. They built a sand retaining groyne to the north of Kirra rock, everything silted up and the kingies left. I am sure that someone will post a more positive post than me - waiting, waiting, waiting.
Cheers
John

Roy

Livies

Post by Roy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi,

When the wind is offshore, a partially-inflated balloon works well - inflate just as much as necessary to get the bait out there. Tie it on with cotton, and it will break free when you nget a strike.

Garfish are often better than yakkas in that they seem to swim out rather than hug the shore, especially when hooked near the tail.

Good luck!

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:22 pm

I grew up on the Jervis Bay headlands chasing and catching game fish on overheads both spinning and livebaiting ( totally wore out 3 seascapes and wrecked a high speed ABU 9000 on BIG kings - 6foot ). Started livebaiting along with everyone else on a 4/0 senator and graduated through a procession of gold reels. I've had just as much fun and lost more skin catching tuna off the north NSW headlands the local way. Get a 7" alvey, preferably no drag model fill it up with 50lb and a gutsy 10' rod and if you hook your livebait near the tail you will throw it an amazing distance and the follwing battle will really feel like you've earned you fish. I've got Longtail tuna over 50lb and it's a blast. Same gear and bait doubles up for jew, just drop the float and either free swim or anchor the bait. If anchoring make sure you hook the livie underneath behind the anal fin or they don't live long trying to stay upright on the bottom. Use a big sinker and a 5 ft trace. Don't overlook big livebaits either, tailor blackfish and tarwine are all great but bream a last resort - too spiky and they try and hide under rocks and snags result.

manly_moth
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you all for all your sugestions

Post by manly_moth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:21 am

Thank you all for all your sugestions - I've given the tail hooking a try (both above and below the lateral line) AND IT WORKS A TREAT !!!

Thankyou again to those considerate enough to help a newbie

I only hope that more people get off the fence help the next generation progress in this great sport we all love

tight lines

Mothy

emaze
Beginner
Beginner

Post by emaze » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:17 pm

Ian. Not sure how far back you are going, but when you mention Seascapes it somehow seems to slot into my era.
I started surf fishing on the Vic. 90 mile beach in the mid 50's, and by the late 50's was fishing all along the E. Gipps. and southern NSW coast with the old wharf at Merimbula being a favorite spot. Used live yakkas for those bloody blue torpedoes, (tuna) and the dirty fighting kingfish. Yep, a few burnt out reels too! If you could get a decent squid bait out to the gravel patch some good snapper came from there also.
In 1965 I (we) spent a week of our honeymoon camped on Bournda Hd. - didnt see another soul. Caught snapper to 10lbs. Its all a massive residential estate today. :cry:
We used Seascapes, Surfmaster Avoca, Pflueger sea-king, Penn squidder and Graeme supreme. Still have all except Seascape and Graeme. In the early 60's the Slazenger 12' hollow glass blanks became the go (which I still use). I also still have a 12' 3 piece split cane Wm. Southem rod in good fighting order!
Thanks for a few memories :)
emaze
still doing what I was doing - and enjoying it

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:57 pm

Emaze
Late 60s before I started but went through all those reels and the slazengers - still have a couple somewhere. Graduated through to ABU 9000 and fast taper Hardy blanks for snapper at Durras NSW. Spoilt for rods now but it was amazing how far those old slow tapers would throw.Trouble with most of those reels was the lack of retrieve speed to pull in over rough ground after chucking out 100m plus with 32lb line which was needed to control the big reds (to 23lb) and groper ( to 42lb ), still used to get smashed up regularly and the 42lb came in on 100lb line on a 9" centrepin.
Ian