what fish can i expect to catch and where.

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

martyn

what fish can i expect to catch and where.

Post by martyn » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:27 pm

I would like to know some good spots for sufcasting or rock fishing around Clontarf queensland. As i am new to the area.Also what types of fish am i likely to catch.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:41 pm

Martin,
You do not mention where you came from - Queensland, Victoria, NSW???
It's been many years since I fished the Redcliffe peninsular but as far as I know the areas I used to fish still hold the same species. Whiting at Margate, bream from the old Hornibrook bridge, flathead from the flats on the Clontarf side of the bridge, and good yellowtail pike and garfish (for bait) off the Shorncliffe jetty. There was a time when chopper tailor were in plague proportions off the jetty too.
Of course this is more estuary fishing than surfcasting. You really have to travel north for surf and I suppose Kawana or possibly Caloundra would be the start of the surf proper. Main Beach would be the start when going south with the northern NSW beaches producing quality fish.
No doubt there will be contributions to this thread from people who habitually fish the Redcliffe peninsular so you won't have to rely on my information which is out of date by 20 years.
Cheers
John