clip downs

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

clip downs

Post by ste80 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:02 pm

hey guys, im new to australia but i used to fish in italy, sometimes from the beach even if im not an expert of the surfcasting tecnique but im willing to learn!
i saw all the questions about the clip to block the bait near the sinker and make it release after the cast... i know that in italy some ppl use a small line which melt in the water, i think itd resolve the problem no? and itd be very simple to use, u need just to make a knot with this line to tie the bait to the sinker or main line,,,,
what do u think about this?? have u ever hear about this line and can u find it in australian fishing shops?

Andrew Falkner
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Andrew Falkner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:01 pm

That dissolving stuff is PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) which used to only be available as sheets, but is now offered as string or bags. You are correct, it would be excellent for clip down rigs, but would take a little time to dissolve and release the bait. I have never seen it available in Australia.

Cheers, Andrew

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:48 pm

Andrew,
I believe the technique was used by Carp anglers in the UK. The polyvinyl alcohol superceded ice cubes and salt which was used to cast the distance and once the cube and salt had melted the bait sat out there with no weight attached. Sort of still water free-lineing. Using it for clip down rigs could be time consuming and the effect of the cast, flight and impact would need to be ascertained.
Cheers
John

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Avoiding bite-offs

Post by Roy Watson » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:37 pm

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to rig a pillie or strip of bonito or mullet on a clipped-down rig which won't be bitten off by mackerel or tailor?

I'd like to avoid wire, if possible, and find that ganged gooks aren't the best with clipped-down rigs.
Roy Watson

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod B » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 pm

Hi, I have been working on a clipdown rig useing a golf Tee. I have recently had an idea on how to increase the size of hook its possible to clip down. I will post a pic later after cobbling up a proto-type. I would bet money it will work as its just a variation on what I have been using for the last 12-18 months. Trying to clip a ganged rig was the object of the excercise, also a Bonito head on a 8/0 hook. The regular impact shield was found wanting.
Rod.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm

Roy,
I predominately use a pulley rig with pillies and cut bait.
I also use Gemini snood links to attach the hook snood to the rig.
I will post a couple of pix tomorrow.
Cheers
John

John Softly

Pulley Rigs (Pics)

Post by John Softly » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:19 am

Roy,
Here are the tailor rigs I use in conjuntion with the pulley rig.
The hooks themselves are are attached to a small snood (130mm) which in turn attaches to the rig body by a Gemini snood clip. The snood clip can be seen at the top of the pic. Mono is anything from 60lb to 100 lb.

The top rig is the obvious 3 ganged and, unlike Rod, I have no trouble with this rig when using a Breakaway Impact shield/Impact sinker.
The middle rig had a plastic sleeve to avoid cut offs and the top hook is adjustable to accomodate any size bait from gar (bait elastic necessary) to small cut baits.
The bottom rig is basically the same as the middle one but has 75mm of wire.

The Pulley Rig seems to me to be the ideal tailor rig - so much so that I use it all the time now. The Illo comes from an article I did for Saltwater Sport Fishing. The drawing shows the rig without the added swivel and snood clip. When snood clips are used the pulley rig body terminates with a small swivel which the snood clip attaches to.

These were tailor from the last session of the season just past. Big one went 6.2kg and were all caught on the pulley rig with 2 hooks. The joy with the snood clips is that the snood can be removed from the rig and a new one attached when the hooks are difficult to remove. Also usefull for 'double patting' ( a term used by Pommy match fishermen where a spare baited rig is held in readyness to be clipped on when the rig currently fishing is retrieved - saves time in getting another baited hook in the water) The 3.2kg fish (2nd from the top) still has hooks embedded.

I hope all is clear to you.
Cheers
John

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Circle hooks?

Post by Roy Watson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:04 pm

John,

Thanks for the very clear and detailed info. - do you know if it will work with circle hooks?

Regards,

Roy
Roy Watson

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:15 pm

Roy,
Circle hooks work but only use them for the bottom hook.
Whilst I am convinced that circles are superior for single hook snoods I don't think the same applies for multiple hook rigs. If sinkers with anchor wires are used tailor usually hook themselves apart from the times when they pick up the bait and run shorewards. Then slack has to be taken up quickly and a conventional strike used.
Cheers
John

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Circle hooks?

Post by Roy Watson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:34 pm

John,

My primary quarry won't be Tailor - I'm more interested in trying for the more exotic species such as GT, Goldens, Jewfish, Snub-nose Dart (Permit), etc.

At the same time, I don't want to get bite-offs from Macks, Tailor, etc.

Any advice you can give would be most welcome....

Roy
Roy Watson

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 am

Roy,
I have caught the odd jewfish whilst fishing for tailor and there have been instances of fisho's catching bonefish and snub nose dart whilst whiting fishing but really one has to target a specific species. The rigs shown are tailor rigs and they are what I use to target tailor and tailor only. GT's and Goldens are not really a surf proposition although there are places where they can be caught by shore based anglers - inside Fraser for example.
Snub nose dart AFAIK are very rarely fished for exclusively and are usually caught as a bycatch. You certainly wouldn't catch them using rigs with heavy mono or wire in case a member of the razor gang picks up the bait.
In the distance context clipping down baits is a technique adopted from the UK scene and although it works very well for the bread and butter species it is better to use what are considered 'conventional methods' when targetting the more exotic species.
Cheers
John

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:23 am

Hi John,

Just discovered your useful post about breakaway pulley rigs.

I've decided my recent difficulty, casting heavy sinker bait combinations, is probably as much to do with what happens after the cast is on its way, as it is with imparting extra energy to the rig during the cast with a heavier and/or stiffer rod. And solving the problem through better areodynamics is also likely to be much cheaper than buying a new rod.

My quest for better bait and sinker aerodynamics lead me to breakaway and pulley rigs when searching on the Net -- the pommies seem to have developed these rigs almost to an art form.

I decided to search this site after trying unsuccessfully to source the necessary component-- and found your post. I notice, from your diagram, the pulley rig uses a (plastic?) "impact shield": these are an important component in most breakaway rigs?

My local tackle shop doesn't stock such items -- I noticed one breakaway sinker, but it was just a sample left be a tackle company rep.

Is there a supplier in Australia who can supply impact shields, and other components for make breakaway rigs, at a reasonable price? Or is it necessary to find and buy them overseas?

Regards,

Bob

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:35 am

Ken,

You can order the imapct shields directly from Veals on their web site cost works out at approximately $0.80 each if buying in the 20 pack.

regards
Jeremy :D

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:06 pm

Bob,
In my opinion the Breakaway Impact Shield is by far and away the best bait clip ever devised. The baited hook is released, on impact, one hundred per cent and it can be used over and over again.
As Jeremy says Veals would be your best bet. I used to bring them in together will the remainder of the Breakaway catalogue http://breakaway-tackle.co.uk/
but even after advertising there were very few takers. All my stocks have been exhausted except for a few Cannons ($20 includng postage). There is a guy in Gosford who imports the parts for Gemini sinkers and moulds the lead component out here. When ordering from Veals have a look at the Breakaway and Gemini links and clips. The Breakaway Fast Links and the Gemini snood clips are two produts I wouldn't be without.
Cheers
John

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi John,

Thanks to you and Jeremy for directing me to a source of impact shields and other bits. I'll follow this up -- Veals are Breakaway?

Do the shields come with rigging instructions, or is there info about that on this site?

I'm also going to use those multiple hook rigs: is the plastic tube, you use to hold the adjustable top hook in place, a specialty item, or just plastic tube you might source from an electrical supplier, such as Dick Smith. What diameter do you find works best?

Regards,

Bob

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 pm

Bob,
Breakaway is an independent company and Veals is a retailer.
https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/
Yes, the shields come with a length of rubber tubing and instructions but if you get stuck you can always ask questions on this board.
To make the Impact Shield work you will need beads and crimps and also 0.70mm mono for the rig body.
The tube I use for the sliding hook is just ordinary electrical tube with the copper taken out - I have a choice of black, red, green and sometimes green and yellow!!
Cheers
John

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi John,

Thanks, I've been to both companies websites. Purchased the impact shields and other bits you recommended; prices very reasonable . Veals have a nice mail order sevice.

In my part of the world people are sceptical abouts using snaps for attaching lures (although I've never had any fail). Those fast links and tiny snood clips would be under a lot of stress when casting heavy weights, and the snood clips would also have to cope with large fish -- never had them fail?

I was going to ask you about the importance of plastic tube colour, but you've explained it!

Appreciate you help.

Regards,

Bob

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ste80 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:38 pm

hey guys, i just gave a look at veals website and they have a lot of products i wasnt able to find in the shops here in oz.. so thanks for giving the site address!
i read u have made an order bob, how much is the cost of the shipping? i couldnt find if its requiered a minimum expense to make an order...
oh and what about the colour of the plastic tube?

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi ste80,

I purchased rig components costing in total 7.32 GBP. The price I believe included VAT (the UK version of GST).

After they deducted VAT from the price (because I'm not living in the UK and therefore it doesn't apply) and added the necessary postage, 12.10 GBP was charged to my credit card. So, net of VAT postage was 4.78 GBP?

As 12.10 GBP is about $28.72 Australian, I can't buy the bits in Australia, and I've bought sufficient to last me probably forever, I reckon that's not a bad deal. I believe they just charge you the cost of postage necessary to send you the goods.

As for the colour of the tube -- just use whichever colour turns you on, or the colour you believe the fish will like. Take your pick.

Regards,

Bob
Last edited by kenmare on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ste80 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:01 pm

thanks for the answer Bob!
the shipping cost is not high considering they r sending it from overseas... anyway ill need a few sinkers so probably itll be a bit more expensive... i looked even on the breakaway website and they ask 12£ for 1 kg and 15£ for 3 kilos... ill think about what s better..
about the colour.. i like red... heheh

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:29 am

Hi ste80,

I reckon it's best just to purchase very small, light items like impact shields, links and clips: postage and freight charges are usually worked out according to size and weight.

You're probably better off buying large or heavy items, such as sinkers, locally.

Breakway rigs can still be made up with conventional beach sinkers, provided you have impact shields and other necesssary rig components.

Regards,

Bob

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod B » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:35 pm

Guys. there are such things as 'Sinker Moulds' :lol: You could buy the Gemini, Ajusti 4 in 1, or the Ron Thompson 4 in 1 beach bomb mould. Buy or scrounge your lead locally and use the savings to finance the other items that come many more to the kilo.
Rod.

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Mail Order

Post by Roy Watson » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:59 pm

Guys,

Although I have used Veals (and been extremely happy with their service), there is an NZ alternative from whom I have also had good dervice:

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/

Roy
Roy Watson