Spool adjustment ABU 6500 C3 CT Sports Rocket MK II

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Spool adjustment ABU 6500 C3 CT Sports Rocket MK II

Post by kenmare » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:47 pm

I use an ABU 6500 C3 CT with a light 10'4" rod for spinning the surf with 40 gram lures; picked the reel up for $135 in a tackle sale about 8 years ago, and still can't believe such quality engineering could cost so little.

I've been an overhead reel user for more than 35 years, so I understand the basics of spool adjustment and tuning for casting.

But I've never understood why my 6500 C3 CT has spool tension adjustment knobs on both sides of the reel. I just use the one on the side opposite the handle, and keep the handle-side one fully wound tight, not knowing what else to do.

I notice my old ABU 7000 has a similar spool adjustment set-up, with 2 tension adjustment knobs. Yet the two small ABU baitcasters I also use only have one -- on the same side as the handle.

Why do larger ABU overheads have tension adjustment on both sides of the reel -- and how do you correctly adjust the reel for casting?

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:38 pm

Two types of Abu Ambasadeur. The classic which has two spool adjustment knobs and the palming model which has one. Classics are the flagship Ambssadeur's and were made across the whole range of sizes. The left hand knob on the classic and the one knob on the palming is generally used as a casting control but in surfcasting the only purpose the spool adjustment knobs serve is to centre the spool and adjust it so there is slight lateral play on the spool (a slight knock should be felt when moving the spool back and forth). Tuning the reel is essential to enable maximum distance casts without resorting to thumbing the spool. The only time the thumb should contact the spool is when the sinker hits the water (After dark the actual impact can be felt) - go to http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/softly/reeltuning.html
hope this helps.
Cheers
John

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:30 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your explanation.

I'll look at the reel tuning article.

Regards,

Bob