pilchards/mullet fillet

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

pilchards/mullet fillet

Post by ste80 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:03 pm

hey guys, i'd like to know how u hook that 2 baits, in particular the mullet fillet in relation to fishing for jewfish.. do u use 1 or more hooks? do u wrap the fillet around the hook and fix it with bait elastic?
and do u use the whole pilchard on 3 hooks or maybe u just use 1 half of the pilchard on 1 big hook?
thanks for ur help...!

Stefano

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:29 am

Hi Stefano,

There are two popular ways of rigging pilchards and fish fillets. Ganging and snelling.

The most common way is to "gang" a series of hooks.

This involves opening the eye of the lower hook (or hooks) on the rig -- I sometimes use wire cutters for this purpose on my old Mustad hooks -- and then inserting the point of the upper hook, before closing the hook eye with pliars. These days you can buy hooks with eyes already slightly open (such as the Mustad 4202).

It's also usual to bend the shank of the lower hook near the eye at a slight downward angle, so the hooks will lie straight along the bait. I bend my old Mustads with pliars, but it's possible to buy hooks intended for ganging that are both open eye and bent down.

I leave the upper hook shank straight and, as I'm a sidecast user, insert a small swivel, for attaching line, in the opened eye of the hook before closing with pliars. This eliminates line twist.

If you visit your local tackle store and ask about hooks for ganging they will probably have a wide selection of Mustad and other brands for you to choose from. I find three size 3/0 about right for rigging whole pilchards. If using half pilchards gang two hooks, possibly of a slightly smaller size.

If you're using half pilchards, try salting them -- toughens them up, so they stay on the hook much better.

The other way to rig larger baits is to snell a series of hooks to heavy mono leader. For this you need to master the snell knot.

If you very interested in rigs, a good book is Geoff Wilson' Complete Book of Fishing Knots and Rigs, published by Australian Fishing Network. Mine cost me $9.95 when I bought it. Most of the larger book shops should have the book.

Regards,

Bob

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:21 pm

Stefano
I prefer to use a one or two hook rig when jew fishing. At times they will pick up the bait without hesitation but at other times they will play with a cut or dead fish bait and reject it if it's sus! The less hooks the better but the bait has to look natural .

These are tailor rigs but with a lighter snood line they make good jew rigs. You can make the rig with a movable top hook and the top hook can be a small 'keeper' hook which hooks in the top of a cut bait to stop in falling down to the gape and masking the point. A two hook rig for pillies is, once again, similar to the middle rig pictured. You don't need the plastic tube because you aren't goin to get bitten off and the top sliding hook can be slipped up the trace to go in the baits eye and the bottom one through the wrist ot the tail. Bait elastic would be mandatory with this rig.
Cheers
John

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ste80 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:50 pm

thanks for the advice guys!!

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:08 pm

Hi Stephano,

If you're using pilchards, or half pilchards, then ganged hooks around 3/0 are about right.

But if you are going to use mullet slabs, whole fillets or squid when trying for jew, then you might want to use a larger size hook.

Whilst 3/0 might be OK for school jew, it's more usual to use hooks in the 5/0 to 7/0 size range when using single or double hooks. Some people use hooks as large 10/0, but I reckon that's a bit overkill.

Regards,

Bob.