Baiting hooks

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Baiting hooks

Post by kenmare » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:16 pm

How do you choose the best size hook to pin your bait?

Do you first decide the size of the bait you want to use according to the size of fish you want to catch, and then decide on hook size? Big bait, big fish?

Or do you just use the size of hook for bait that's immediately available?

Or the hook for the biggest bait you're able to cast? How big might that be?

I've missed fish in the past using small hooks and squid as bait -- I reckon there was too much bait on the hook, so I wasn't able to set it. How do you tell by looking at a baited hook if its overloaded with bait?

For pinning flesh baits, are ganged hooks better than one hook with a smaller keeper? What's your preference?

Regards,

Bob

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Re: Baiting hooks

Post by Rod B » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:54 pm

[quote="kenmare"]How do you choose the best size hook to pin your bait?
Do you first decide the size of the bait you want to use according to the size of fish you want to catch, and then decide on hook size? Big bait, big fish?

I, personally use a 4/0 for most fish in the surf unless Dart is the target when a 1/0 or 2/0 would be the choice.

Or do you just use the size of hook for bait that's immediately available?

I use cut bait usually, mullet, bonito, 1/2 pillies. Also pippies, and sometimes squid. The cut bait can be made to fit the hook being used.

Or the hook for the biggest bait you're able to cast? How big might that be?
I've missed fish in the past using small hooks and squid as bait -- I reckon there was too much bait on the hook, so I wasn't able to set it. How do you tell by looking at a baited hook if its overloaded with bait?

IF you can't see the point of the hook, it's overloaded.

For pinning flesh baits, are ganged hooks better than one hook with a smaller keeper? What's your preference?
Regards,
Bob[/quote]

All of the above plus bait elastic. But not the one sold as bait elastic. I find its too fine. I use shirring elastic from somewhere like 'Spotlight' Cotton covered and with a look like a spring when slightly stretched. I find it grips better and easier to handle than elastic with a synthetic cover thread.
Rod.

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi Rod,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Like you I tend to vary my hook size according to the fish I'm targeting, and then choose the size of bait to suit.

I'm a big fan of ganged hooks. As well as, in the distant past, using four ganged 5/0s for fishing sea gar, and more recently three ganged 3/0s for whole pilchards when using my heavy Alvey outfit, I also gang two hooks in the size 2 to 1/0 range for much of my beach fishing with my light Alvey outfit. Two size 3/0s also works well with most flesh baits.

IMHO many of us fishos are overly concerned about hiding the hook or hooks in the bait. When, really, the fish don't think like us (do they think at all?) and just aren't aware of hooks or other terminal tackle. All they focus on is the prey/bait item: whether it attracts them and moves naturally in the water.

A good mate of mine, who I used to do a lot of rockfishing with when we were much younger in the 70s, was expert at catching bream using chucks of tuna as bait. He used to pass the hook through the bait only one, so not only the point, but most of the hook was exposed. And he used to catch heaps.

Regards,

Bob

ken moran
Angler
Angler

Post by ken moran » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Personally I think I have lost a lot of fish to hooks that were too big, I think 2/0 is just too big, or the biggest you would have in the tackle box, to have an each way bet there!

Smaller bits of bait help me stay with a smaller hook or I just make sure the point of the hook is sticking out. I use two half hitches to tie bait on too, it prevents the hook supporting the bait as it is tied to the line. My smallest, barring odd hooks is a 10mm wide gape and 30mm long and the longest has a 7mm wide gape and 40mm long, I have lost the packet so I dont know what size they are. We have some tiny ones somewhere for poddy mullet, catch and release only.

I only fish for frying pan or griller size fish, and those hooks will take a lot of breaking, one of the bigger ones pulled in a decent sting-ray, about 80cm wide and if the little one is too big, that fish was a tiddler anyway!

And I feel I have got rid of the biggest hooks in case I put one on the line and lost a fish because of it!

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:17 am

Hi Ken,

Yes, I agree small hooks have their advantages. Provided you don't get bitten off, it's possible to catch large fish on very small hooks. I remember years ago I once caught a 10 lb school jew. No big deal? I was fishing in the estuary for winter black fish (luderick), using squirt (estuary) worms as bait, a number 6 long shanked hook, 6 lb line on light threadline outfit. Pulled a bit.

But only about two weeks ago, I caught a barely legal size bream fishing using half a salted pillie as bait, when fishing from a local beach with my light beach outfit. I was using two ganged 3/0 hooks. So I reckon, if they're keen, fish can get down a bigger hook than we might expect.

I believe we need to consider the type of bait whe're using when selecting hooks. Fine wire long shank hooks suit my purpose when I'm using soft baits like pippies, worms or nippers for smaller fish like bream and whiting. I use heavier wire or forged hooks when targeting larger fish.

I also reckon it's easier to choke the hook when using tough baits like sal;ted fish, squid and particularly octopus. But when using soft baits like pippies , worms etc, it's not really important if you bury the hook.

Regards,

Bob

ken moran
Angler
Angler

Post by ken moran » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm sure my catch goes up when the hook size is down a bit, too small a hook could go right in and out again, but too big a hook wont go in!

Dont be tricked by a big hook in a small mouth, it may have gone in point first, because of the angle of attack of the fish. They could get the point of a meat hook in the mouth, and then turn on the hook and make it look as if they swallowed it whole.

When all of a hook is deep in the mouth, they have swallowed to whole hook, but if it is just inside the mouth and the point is through the side of the mouth, they may have come down on the point and then turned around on the hook!