Crab-free rigs

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Crab-free rigs

Post by kenmare » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

Has anyone had experience using "crab-free" rigs.

I saw a digram in a recent fishing article which described these.

The general idea seems to be to make the hook and bait bouyant, so it floats above the sea-floor way from crabs, rays and other undesirable bait filchers and can be more easily located by desirable fish species.

Close-cell foam secured with cotton was used as a trace float in the diagram, but I've also seen rigs which use "float balls" which you thread on the line.

Do these rigs work?

Regards,

Bob

soap
Angler
Angler

Post by soap » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:23 am

Hi Kenmare

I have had some good results from using a clear bubble float (trout style) on the leader before the bait but in any kind of current or wash (as in the surf ) they can cause some fantastic looking embroidery :shock: :lol: in still water they are good. I use them some times to combat sea lice.

cheers

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:04 am

Bob,
This rig was explained to me by a guy from Hastings Point who had great sucess with it when fishing on rough, rocky bottoms.

Not necessarilly a rig to avoid robbing crabs but as it raises the bait in the water column it would achieve the result you are looking for. There are many variables - weight of the hooks - size of the float - length of snood (if it's a clip down rig with a long snood, say a metre, then it would have to be an 'up and over' rig). I keep a couple of these in my rig wallet - just in case - but haven't fished rocks of late. Trouble is that the float is fragile and if it's tailor you're after chances are that it will be 1 fish 1 rig.
The small keeper hook stops the strip bait from slipping down to the gape of the circle and masking the point.
Cheers
John

ausyowie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ausyowie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, but saw this post and thought I'd add a simple solution that I learnt over 20 years ago.

My suggestion came from a book that I read back then, it simply involves a wine cork (or more than one for bigger baits). All you do is slit the wine cork half way through from end to end. Use a sharp knife, but be careful not to cut yourself, or to cut the cork all the way through. Holding your line above the hook taut, you slip it into the slit. This way the cork sits on the line lengthways. If the slit is nice and tight it will not slip, unless you forcibly slide it along the line, and you can place it as far above the bait as you like. If using a big bait, use more corks. I've found that there is bugger all difference between the natural corks and the synthetic ones and keep a few in my tackle box. If the conditions change when fishing the cork only has to be slipped off the line without adjusting the rig. I've also use half a cork at times.

And Bob, yes, these sorts of rigs can work really well in the right conditions.

P.S. An after thought that I haven't yet tried; a lick of white, water resistant paint on the cork would probably work really well on salmon as a teaser. A little bit like a surf popper.

Has anybody else use this, or a similar technique? :?:

Cheers, David.

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:26 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the cork idea.

Actually, I've devised a similar one: rather than use a cork, I've tightly bound four small 5 cm long pieces of sleeping mat foam (as used for camping) to the line, just above the hook, using strong sawing thread.

I've yet to try the rig, but tests in the laundry sink look promising -- the foam floats a 6/0 double strength limerick and 2/0 keeper hook, and I judge it'd suspend a large bait.

The foam is a bright orange, tied with red thread, and its position can be adjusted on the line, so I reckon it also has attractor potential.

Regards,

Bob

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:07 am

Bob ,

a very simple way of having the bait float clear of the crabs and not impact on the rig to much is to insert a piece of foam into the stomach cavity and then bind it up with Knitting elastic.

This works realy well with fish bait like pilchards and mackeral etc. When using squid I insert the foam into the mantle of the smaller full squid or in the case of stip bait fold ot around the shaped foam.

It is a little more work than the float on the line but presents the baits better in my opinion.

Regards
Jeremy :D

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Floats

Post by Roy Watson » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Bob,

The following site has suitable floatd/attractors for sale, and a few good tips etc.

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/Floats.html

I've purchased gear from them and found them to be speedy and reliable.

They also have an interseting message board.

Regards,
Roy Watson

st.elmo

crab free

Post by st.elmo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:53 pm

the styl of rig is a pop up bait uk coaese angliner use them to suspend baits of the silt i ues a lot of coarse fishing metherds in my sea and estery fishing shuld have a look at some uk sites for some idears :lol:

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Re: Floats

Post by kenmare » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:30 am

Roy Watson wrote:Bob,

The following site has suitable floatd/attractors for sale, and a few good tips etc.

http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/Floats.html

I've purchased gear from them and found them to be speedy and reliable.

They also have an interseting message board.

Regards,
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the site reference. Looks interesting.

There are several float types to choose from.

Have you used any of these floats yourself?

Regards,

Bob

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Floats

Post by Roy Watson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:51 pm

Bob,

No, haven't used these 'cos crabs don't seem to be a huge problem where I fish now.

Regards,

Roy
Roy Watson

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Floats

Post by Roy Watson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:41 pm

Bob,

Here is any Aussie endorsement of float rigs (on an NZ board!)

http://members5.boardhost.com/surfcasti ... 84887.html

Regards,

Roy
Roy Watson

gethooked

Floated Baits and Rigs

Post by gethooked » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:02 pm

For the interest of the readers, there are more offerings available for crab resistance using floats.
Check out www.fishhotshotz.co.nz and under the heading "Wriggle Rigs", soon to be changed to "Special Rigs", there are some new options.
The floats are closed cell foam, made in NZ and are predrilled for convenience when rigging.
The highly bouyant floats of 40mm length, are capable of floating a whole Pilchard to the top.
Assorted sizes are available in packet form and about 8 to 10 are in each packet.
My preference when surf fishing is the Top Float Strayliner as this presents the bait above the bottom where other "float" rigs only add bottom drift or lateral movement.
The Top Float Surf Boss enables shore based anglers to fish their rigs vertically above the sinker, like it would appear below a boat angler.

Unless the bait is fully suspended, crabs can still grab and attack the baits, The baits can also be fouled by silting etc when lying on the bottom.
Floated baits stay fresh longer and look the most natural.
While any movement is better than none, it is better to float the bait.
It is a quite simple alternative offering a huge advantage that is well proven in NZ.
Fish friendly Tackle? You bet!

Cal

Post by Cal » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 am

Another thing that I have used with success, is to push a small ball float with a hole drilled through the middle , up into one of those plastic squid[white , pink or silver] .
Thread it onto the line above your top hook on the gang, then over the head of your pillie, gar, whatever.
Works two fold, keeps your bait away from the crabs, and up off the bottom waving around makes the bait very attractive, almost a surf popper effect.
Salmon love it, no doubt so will tailor and jew.
Cheers 8)