Daiwa SMF250 on a Kilwell Pendulum 1?

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

ausyowie
Beginner
Beginner

Daiwa SMF250 on a Kilwell Pendulum 1?

Post by ausyowie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:18 am

John,

This question is probably aimed mostly in your direction, but I'm open to advice from anyone.

I have an old Daiwa Sealine Magforce 250 reel that is in near perfect condition. I want to set up with a compatible rod for beach, breakwall and rock fishing for snapper, mullas and bities at the small to medium end of the scale.

Obviously big baits are the order of the day, and big sinkers in some conditions. I've read a lot of posts on various forums extolling the virtues of Killwell's Pendulum 1 blanks. They sound like they woud fit the bill.

:?: IYO do you think that this would be a suitable rod and reel combination?

:?: Are these blanks still readily available?

:?: Are they available in a ready made arrangement? My rod making skills are average to middling.

I also have an Abu 7000C3 and an old Butterworth Coastline Wavebreaker that is 4.45 m long and rated up to 110g casting weight. With either reel I am casting a bit over 100 m with only a few over runs and little practice. I hope to improve with practice and perhaps a better rod as I find the big Butterwerth a little soft for the task.

Looking forward to your feedback,

David.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:57 pm

David,
I have a Daiwa Procast Magforce, which is about a 7000 size, but I am not aware of the specs of a Daiwa Sealine Magforce 250. What is the capacity? Star or lever drag?
The original Kilwell Pendulum blank is available from Wilson's in Brisbane via your local tackle dealer but only in blank form. It casts 4 to 6 ounces (125 to 170 grams).
The ideal combination for power casting the Kilwell Pendulum rod would be a 5 ounce (150 gram) sinker, 0.70mm leader, 0.35mm main line on a 6000 size reel or alternatively 0.40mm line on a 7000 size reel.
Cheers
John

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:36 pm

David ,

If you are interested in having a look and cast with the Pendulum 1 send me a pm as I will be practicing for our upcoming comp in Sale this Sunday.

I will be down in Altona on Wednesday practicing and would be happy to bring it down for you to have a cast or two.

P.S I have been able to achieve 200 meters OTG with it and 150 gram sinker. I also use it for Jewfishing in the Yarra nad find it excellent for that role.

Regards
Jeremy :D

ausyowie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ausyowie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:03 am

John,

The Daiwa Sealine Magforce 250 is a bigger reel that the 7000 and has a line capacity of 350 metres of 0.50 mm line and a star drag. It was made back in the 80's and is an excellent reel for heavy beach/breakwall/rock fishing. It is obviously too big for optimum casting distance, but that's a tradeoff for the bigger line capacity and drag when chasing bigger fish such as sharks, kingies etc.

FYI Daiwa also made a 170 model of the same reel. It is comparable with the 7000 in size/capacity, but I've never used one.

As I said, I haven't had any tuition or much practice. My Butterworth isn't ideal for power casting either, as the reel seat is a bit low (500mm) and although it has heaps of guts, it is a very big soft fibreglass rod at 14 1/2 feet. Even though it is rated to 110 grams, I find that it can comfortably cast 140 grams OTG if I load up slowly, for 100 - 120 metres.

I may end up leaving the 250 on the Butterworth and concentrating on getting betting better distance casting with the 7000, when I procure a better rod for the task. I think that I still have some practice to do before I cross that bridge.

Thanks for the reply,

David.

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Jewfish

Post by Roy Watson » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:49 pm

Jeremy

Although not srictly a surfcasting subject, I am curious to hear about your Jewfish angling in the Yarra.

Do you have any tips or techiques that you would care to pass on that my be applicable to other venues such as the Gold Coast Seaway, or the Tweed or Brisbane Rivers?

Regards,
Roy Watson

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:25 am

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I'd also be interested in reading about how Yarra jewfish are caught.

One good jewie's worth a year's pan-sized fish, so far as I'm concerned.

Technical aspects of tackle are fine, but they can't compare to a solid fish on the line.

Regards,

Bob

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:04 pm

Ken & Roy ,

I will start to target the Jewfish at the end of February and will concentrate on them for the next 3 months. Peak period is in autum when the mullet are running in the river.

Last year I didn't land any of the bigger fish and had to be happy with them up to 12 kg. I lost 8 that would have gone considerably higher than this.

Once I have some photo's of the rigs that I use I will post them on this site.

Regards
Jeremy :D

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Started targeting the Jewfish in the Yarra scores to Date are as follows

Five strips .
2. Hook ups
1. Big Bust up
1. 80 cm Mulloway landed.
6 Hits

For the 5 trips we have landed a total of 4 Mulloway between the three of us fishing and lost 4 due to the pylons.

The larger mullet will start their run into the river shortly so we should start to see a few more big fish being hooked. But given previous strike ratio the odds are heavily in favour of the Jewfish.

It has been pouring rain down here which will close down the stretch of river that we are currently fishing so that coupled with work will impact on the number of trips over the next week.

Next target dates will be Friday and the weekend.

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Jewfish

Post by Roy Watson » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Look forward to hearing more (with rig details if you can post photos).

Well done and Good Luck!
Roy Watson

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:05 pm

Roy ,

Based on tides and my work commitments I will be hitting the Jew's on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and will get some photo's of rigs and method of baiting up.

Regards :D