Breakaway Cannon

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

John Softly

Breakaway Cannon

Post by John Softly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:10 pm

The Breakaway Cannon, which is available from UK mail order tackle shops, comes with instructions how to use it but there are a few tips on getting the best out of this great little gizzmo.
It doesn't come with means to attach it to the rod and the two obvious choices are tape or electrical ties. Tape cannot be wound tight enough and a strip of inner tyre, wrapped under tension, is a better option. The end is simply tucked under a previous wrap!

Prior to opening the bail arm
Inner tyre strip wound around at lock up tension
Electrical ties are good to fit a Cannon permanently fixture for the Cannon and the pic shows two rods fitted with Fuji plate reel seats and Cannon's with both the seats and the Cannon secured with electrical ties. The reels are a 6500 Shimano Baitrunner and a big DAM threadline.

Possibly the best tip for Cannon users came from the USA.
When using the device conventionally the line is placed over the capstan and is trapped there by the finger lever. To avoid line slip the drag has to be locked at the cast and slackened off once the bait is in the water. This causes un-necessary wear on the drag and is time consuming getting the right strike drag after every cast.
The answer is to take the line around the capstan a couple of times (three times if you are power casting) and you can leave the drag as loose as you want it. The line will not slip from the spool at the cast.

This great little device is ideal for those threadline users who want the extra distance or or the lure caster who has to stop casting due to a sore index finger
Cheers
John

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod B » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Seeing as John has broached the subject here is a pic of one of my Alvey's that I have fitted a Cannon to. (Someone told me it could not be done :lol: )

Well it can, and it works. The reel can be also used as originally intended with no problems. The modification involves dismantling the turntable, making and fitting a custom part.

The Cannon shown has always been held on with tape, but not electrical tape. This one I got from a sports supplies and is usually used to tape down the rubber grips on cricket bat handles.
Rod.
Last edited by Rod B on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by cyberfish » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:42 pm

Nice one Rod! :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks good!