fishing line

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

ste80
Beginner
Beginner

fishing line

Post by ste80 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:27 am

hey guys, which kind of line do u use in ur reel?? i was wondering if braids, (in particular the berkley fireline) r a good choice when fishing from the beach and u need to cast far away with big sinkers...
if anyone use them, id like to know if its good or give problems.. im worried braids might cut the knot with the shock leader... what do u think? r there negative sides of using braids?

ken moran
Angler
Angler

Post by ken moran » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:32 am

I used 'braid' for a while and I was impressed at first but eventually got rid of it. The stuff is made of 'spectra', but not all 'braid' is braided, as in plaited. Some of it is, or was, just made into line somehow without braiding it. Braid can snap off on overheads if there is a bit of slack in the line that straightens out to fast, it will just snap and let go. It has its own set of problems and if you get a knot in it, it is almost impossible to get it out. I used Berkley, Gorilla, Fusion, (which is not braided, but made of the same stuff) I caught a small jew on the fusion off the beach, the fusion just separated and let go half way between me and the fish. It is glued together with some sh!% that cant take the salt water. I later caught the line and got it in, there was 30 m of line attached to the hook! which I retied onto the the reel but it let go again! Eventually just threw the fusion out. Iron braid was the best, it is actually braided and I got the 30ld stuff so it would have a bit of body about it, and not be hard to handle etc. It was good but one gets a bit annoyed to see it getting knots in it, loosing length and having to be carefull with it etc. I replaced it with a 600m of Iron Flex for $20! I would have braid if it was FAR cheaper, but I think fisho's will tell you you have to have a mon leader to trick the fish.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:55 am

Personally I do not use braid and - Yes - it does have pro's and con's when using it in the surf. It's two advantages are thin diameter to tensile strength and it's low stretch properties. The disadvantages are it's thin diameter when using it on overheads - requiring larger brake blocks, a heavier magnet setting, higher viscosity oil in the bearings or less line on the spool. A minor over-run with mono can be unpicked but it is almost impossible with braid. Its low abrasion resistance and it's magnet like qualties for picking up weed are also reasons for not using it in the surf. Braid, in the distance context, is more suited to threadlines than over heads but it comes into it's own when throwing lures short distances.
I use Sufix mono almost exclusively. Their Tritanium is sold under the Penn 10X label but, like most line sold in Australia, it is sold in 300 and 600 metre spools. Other countries sell line by weight which always seems a better proposition to me. 125 grams of line is 125 grams of line be it 0.20mm or 5mm diameter. The quantity of product is the same and therefore the price should be the same.
Cheers
John

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod B » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:26 pm

I bought 2 s/h 6000 size reels at Cashies a while back. Each came with the previous owners last lot of tangled braid still on the spool :oops:

I only use mono on overheads.
Rod.

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Hi Stephano

I fish mostly with mono, but have experimented a bit with the newer "super lines".

I agree with most comments made.

It's best to look upon super lines, whether braided or fused, as special purpose lines.

I've only ever used Berkley Fireline, which is a fused type, but found it useful for lure fishing with light and medium sized threadlines.

As Fireline doesn't stretch, it's possible to feel through the line whether your lure is working correctly (or no longer working, because it's fouled by weed).

You can also detect bites from fish very well for the same reason.

And as Fireline is much thinner than mono of equivalent breaking strain (20 lb Fireline is about the same diameter as 8 lb mono), it's less affected by wave action in the surf.

Because Fireline floats and doesn't sink like mono, you can sometimes even detect when a fish has take a lightly weighted bait or lure (such as a soft plastic) when the line moves in the water, particularly if you use the very visible fluoro green colour I favour.

But when you have a fish on, the lack of line stretch can work against you: unless you're careful, you'll pull the hook out of the fish's mouth.

You can overcome this problem, to some extent, by using a couple of metres of heavy mono as a leader, to act as a shock absorber. This also makes for more pleasant casting, as the mono is much easier on your index finger than the thin diameter Fireline.

To join superlines to mono you have to use special knots or adjust your usual knots (I use an improved albright), as superlines are very slippery. They're also very tough, so you'll need a special pair of scissors to cut them.

I've recently spooled my ABU 5600C multiplier with 20lb Fireline for trolling lures and jigging soft plastics for flathead etc, when fishing from my boat. It seems to cast OK and without drama for that purpose, but "power casting" might not work nearly as well of course.

Super lines are usually more expensive than bulk mono (although not affected by UV and therefore much more durable), so it's usual to "top shot" with 120 metres or so of super line on top of mono backing.

I've recently read some surf anglers, who use small multipliers with limited line capacity for distance casting to large fish, have increased the line capacity of their reels by spooling mostly with thin diameter and durable super line, but then "top shotting" with mono -- that they then regularly replace as it wears. An interesting approach that might be worth trying.

Regards,

Bob