Attaching baited ganged hooks to impact shield breakaway rig

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Attaching baited ganged hooks to impact shield breakaway rig

Post by kenmare » Sun May 14, 2006 9:37 am

Hi guys,

I'm probably asking a silly question, but here goes anyway.

I've been having some difficulty getting the baited hooks to release consistently on impact when using a breakaway shield. This might be due to the way I attach the hooks to the impact shield.

Is it best to hook the lower of the ganged hooks on to the impact shield? Or one of the other hooks in the gang?

When using two ganged hooks and half salted pillie, I find the baited hooks difficult to hook-on to the impact shield, as the point and bend of the hook are masked by the bait.

Is everything normal here, or am I missing the "obvious" better way?

Regards,

Bob

ratherbfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by ratherbfishing » Tue May 16, 2006 10:15 pm

:D hey mate,

I also use both impact shields and impact leads for both cut baits and pillies,and i always set the rig up so that the last hook in the gang (the bottom one) fits into the clip and have not had a problem with release at all so if you are doing the same,then i can only think that it may be caused by the snood tension being to great ( which i think is unlikely) or possibly they are tangling on the retrieve which is making you think they have not released? i have had the other problem you mention though and i solved this by using bigger hook sizes for the gang so that the barb and point was not masked at all or i have in the past opened the bottom hook gape up slightly if it was not to far miss matched.

hope this helps

regards

paul
living for fishing

kenmare
Angler
Angler

Post by kenmare » Sat May 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for providing the necessary insight.

That's exactly what I was looking for and needed to know.

Regards,

Bob
:lol: