Breakout/wire grip sinkers - tangles?

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

Hodad

Breakout/wire grip sinkers - tangles?

Post by Hodad » Wed May 24, 2006 7:29 am

Gday all, greetings from tropical victoria. Great site by the way, been looking for a forum like this for a while.

I just have a question about these sinkers - I've used them a few times and found upon reeling in, that my rig has gotten tangled up in them, the wires seem to grab my leader and coil it up. Has any-one else had this happen? Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Some of these tangles have been very messy, particularly with lighter leaders.

I normally use a paternoster rig (12 to 40lb, depending on what I'm after), mostly with a couple of twisted dropper loops. I make sure the droppers can neither meet eachother or the swivel and snap clip I use to join leader to sinker.

Cheers.

Rod B
Angler
Angler

Post by Rod B » Wed May 24, 2006 7:00 pm

I have been useing them for a few years now with no major problems. Generally the hook snood is not long enough for the hooks to touch the sinker if the line is 'tight' from the sinker to the rod tip. When using non clipped down rigs the snoods are short, 15cm or so, but again high enough up the rig not to be able to reach the sinker.
I do get the odd/occasional tangle but only from winding in through the white water shore break close to the beach.

I use an 80lb line for the rig and shock leader with lighter line for the snoods.
Rod.

Hodad

Post by Hodad » Sun May 28, 2006 9:23 am

Hey thanks Rod. I'll give'em anther go.

Cheers

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Sun May 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Hodad,
Try using a swivel trapped between two beads for your paternoster snoods. The snood line can then twist on two planes without tangling.

Cheers
John

Hodad

Post by Hodad » Mon May 29, 2006 9:39 am

Nice idea - thank god making rigs in front of the tv is infinitely superior to actually watching it. Thanks John.