Long Rods

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

Roy Watson
Angler
Angler

Long Rods

Post by Roy Watson » Tue May 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi,

Does anyone use European-style 14'-18' Beach rods with eggbeaters and braid?.....

I'd be interested to hear how well this sort of gear works here in Oz.

Regards,
Roy Watson

LEIGH ROBINSON
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by LEIGH ROBINSON » Tue May 30, 2006 8:07 pm

I do for level line comp casting ,4.25 to 5 meter 3 piece high mount spinning reels with 6 to 14 lbs fireline ,2 to 4 ozs weights ,with this style of casting and rods the only braid that you can get max distance with is fireline ,i use 4 mts south african rods with daiwia emblem 550a and 10 lbs fireline for a lot of light spinning from the beach and rocks for fish in the 2 to 5 kg range ,this combo when setup right is hard to beat for a good work stick,regards Leigh

Shikari

Re: Long Rods

Post by Shikari » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Roy Watson wrote:Hi,

Does anyone use European-style 14'-18' Beach rods with eggbeaters and braid?.....

I'd be interested to hear how well this sort of gear works here in Oz.

Regards,
I use the K2 and SPRO rods for this type of shore work (16'8", 18' and 20') using Fireline and fixed-spool. However, you'll need a good shock-leader between the braid and your rig.

Long rods cushion the bait during the cast as opposed to my shorter ones (paired with multipliers)

gippslander
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Long Rods

Post by gippslander » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Mate

Just brought a long rod for the first time with spinning reel.

I deemed the main advantage to be getting the line above the breakers.

I also read that it makes the simple over head cast more effective, efficient. However I read also that these rods should also be loaded with the pendulum/ power casting for maximum result. However I've never done this.

I am though planning to make this rod work for me by practising on an oval using a dog walker/ passing Nevara as a target :lol:

Also you could try and find a casting guru. If you are one and live in gippsland please pm me as I,d love some coaching.