Melting nylon line.

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

Fishcaster
Beginner
Beginner

Melting nylon line.

Post by Fishcaster » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:24 pm

Hello to the board experts.

I have been getting nylon mono line melting onto the rod guides when casting.
There are 7 guides from #50 thru to #12 on a 13ft 6in rod and they all get a coating of nylon deposit which can be scraped off by fingernail.

The rod is a Solaris and the guides look like a lightweight fuji tho the insert is dark brown. I changed the first 3 to grey fuji in the same sizes but with no improvment. The stripper ring is closer to the reel than I like my rods to be but that does not seem to to the main problem when all of them get the melting buildup.

It seems worse on white lines but maybe other coloured lines dont show up so much.

I have photos but cant see any way to include some in this post.

Bit puzzled on this one -- Fishcast.

lee
Angler
Angler

Post by lee » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:36 am

hi fishcaster

To post your photo's got to this place http://imageshack.us/
and upload them to that site, when you have done that they will give you several URL's that you can copy and paste into this thread. You are simply up loading your photo to their data base and they give you the address of where it is, they give you several choices of how big you want it, then simply click the image tag, above where you write your post like this

[img]post%20address%20of%20image%20here[/img] .

Line residue on the guides is common, it can be from cheap line, old guides, big casts or a number of other factors like line slap .

Q1 how far do you cast?

Q2 what brand of line?

Q3 how old are the guides?

Q4 what reel do you use?

Fishcaster
Beginner
Beginner

Melting line

Post by Fishcaster » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi Lee

I think there is a photo coming.

To your questions ---------
Q1. Normally around 100 yards - bit more on good days. All my reels are setup with 110 yd topshot plus 10 yd shockleader. The top line is always a different colour to the line underneath. After casting and taking up the slack I can see if the knot is still on the spool or out past the tipring.

Q2.The white lines such as Mustad and Trilene seem the worst tho green Mustad leaves very little buildup. Suffix is ok and many of the others are alright tho not all. I buy 1/4 lb spools of all brands which vary from $5 to $30 a spool in 20 lb to 50 lb for the mainlines. White line is never used for shockleaders.

Q3.The guides on this rod were about 3 weeks old and the replacments were new stock. I fish 2 rods at a time and I have more than 20 so am able to rotate them every couple of days to mininmise wear.

Q4. The reels in this case are Daiwa Emblem and Regal - Jarvis Walkers - Mitchell 498x and 499 and Penns. The spool lip diameters vary from 61mm to 80mm but in this case size does seem to matter. The problem does not affect the Alveys/Sea martin or overhead reels even with white lines.

Line slap may or may not cause this but I have some rods with 4 guides and others with 9. The Solaris had 7 and now its got 6.

Cheers Fish.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:37 am

The pic is of one of the guides in question supplied by Fishcaster.
I would certainly replace the guides or standardise on a line which leaves no residue. I wouldn't expect too much from a mono which cost $5 for a 1/4 pound spool.
On re-reading the thread I see that there are 6 guides (originally 7) on the rod so one would assume that it is built for an overhead. Small guides with the stripper too close to the reel is yet another cause for the problem.
If there are no problems with the rod when using overheads - don't use it with threadlines!!!
I make a habit that if ringing a hybrid rod I use a 50 for the stripper and never go below a 12 for the top guide and the tip - even then it's a compromise - the guides are going to be on the wrong side of the spine in either threadline or overhead mode.
Cheers
John

Fishcaster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Fishcaster » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 pm

John

Thanks for posting the pic for me.

It is the original #50 stripper from the Solaris rod. When it had seven guides they were #50 - #40 - #30 - #25 - #20 - #16 - #12 and #10 tip. The stripper was about 32 inches from the reel.

Now the reel has been moved to low mount and all the guides removed/replaced still from #50 to #12 and a #12 tip. The first guide is 6 feet from the reel as all my rods are the same setup - low mount and 6 foot to the first guide. I use fix and free spool on the same rods.

The cheap line is used as backing under the main topshot and as a working line for visitors as they ruin a line every time out.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:49 pm

Fishcaster,
Found this snippet in a old QFM file - written when Low Riders first came on the scene. I did buy a set of LR's but didn't wrap a lower size than a #12. The stripping guide is a #20.
Many casters, especially those who grass cast, have been critical about using mono with LR's but I have experienced no problem at all. I do, as a matter of course, use a blob knot to attach the .70mm leader to the .35 main line. It is the smallest leader/main line knot and I have never had one fail. The blob is made with a Bic lighter but make sure that your brand of leader mono will take a blob without breaking (I use Siglon) as some brands do. A grinner knot is a better option to tie the main line around the leader.

FUJI LOW RIDERS
I had a set of Fuji Low Riders, on loan, a few months back which I taped to a Kilwell South African style 4/5 ounce blank and found them impressive over grass. There was no time to fish with them and because, at the time, they were the only set in Australia, I was pensive as to damaging them and consequently didn't put too much pressure on them.
I now have a set bound on the same blank and have had my first fishing session with them.
All I can say is: If you are a threadline user and fish the surf with 13 foot rods you are fishing at a disadvantage unless you are using Low Riders. The guides, 20 to 8 were placed on the blank as per Fuji's instructions and my main worry was the small 8's as guides smaller than 10 can be a problem with leader/main line knots.
The rod has a Fuji plate reel seat (a massive #10) fitted 88 cm's from the butt cap and a Breakaway Cannon fitted. Due to the size of the reel seat the Cannon cannot, in general, be placed far enough back to use reels other than those with long cast spools. A Baitrunner 6500 can be used but the Spinfishers are too small lengthways and even with the spool at the foremost end of it's travel the angle of the line is too great. Reels such as the Daiwa Emblem X5500A, Shimano's Thunnus and Big Baitrunner, Banax's Helicon and the long cast DAM's are ideal.
The Low Rider system is designed, primarily, for GsP but, due to it's diabolical abrasion resistance, I have steered clear of. The problem lies in the leader knot passing through the guides when power casting. No solution has been found to alleviate this wear and the result snap off. The only answer is to use braid with sufficient tensile strength to allow for no leader. This means using 50 pound braid with a 5 ounce sinker and the only reel I have which I can use 50 pound GsP with is the Jack Erskine modified Penn 8500ss which has a drag from a 18S International.
Back to the LC guides. Their performance with 0.35mm mono and a 0.70mm leader was faultless. Absolutely no line slap, even though the reel was a DAM FTS 680 which has a large diameter spool. Not the slightest hint of the blob knot going through the guides and, aerialised high inertia, casts of 110 metres with bait. Once the Cannon trigger is released there is just a steady hum of the line passing through the guides.
The gutter we were fishing was on the small side for 4 anglers and did not afford the luxury of full pendulum or OTG casts.
Nothing spectacular in the way off fish - just a few tailor and bream. The success story of the session were the Low Riders. Has anyone else had hands on experience with the Low Riders and can add to my comments.
Cheers
John

lee
Angler
Angler

Post by lee » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:58 am

This also could be a lubricant added to the product to allow good winding on to the spools. It is used in similar industries.