rod biulding eqiupment

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

glen
Beginner
Beginner

rod biulding eqiupment

Post by glen » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:10 pm

hi guys wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to set up rollers racks etc to biuld rods on .
i am new to the art of biulding rods have only biult 2 ..ive made up a motor out of a old wiper motor to turn rod through drying process works ok but only have some small wheels stuck into some blocks of wood for my rollers i find when biulding the 12 ft blank they dont stay in the rollers well ...was thinking about trying to biuld something where a third roller slides down onto the blank to hold the rod in place a bit like the ones u see in the rod biulding mags ...any ideas ....or where do u get the proper rod wrappers from and how much....my next project is a kilwell pendulum 1 and i dont want to stuff it up ....what do you guys use.....cheers glen :?:
snapper man

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Glen,
There are (or were) stand alone rollers on a stand and a rotisserie which were all the same height . I purchased three sets of rollers and the rotisserie about 25 years ago and they have helped build about 50 rods.
The rollers are big (about 50mm) and had a base which could be clammped to a table - I have never had problems with the blank jumping out. Most blanks I build are 13 feet (5' butt and 8' tip) and three sets of rollers are quite adequate. The rotisserie is only used whilst the epoxy is drying. Unforotunately I can't photograph them as they are on loan to a fishing mate.
Cheers
John

glen
Beginner
Beginner

rod biulding

Post by glen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 pm

hi john thanks for that i know the set up u are talking about rollers are about 30 bucks each and motor is 50 i just saw them at my local tackle shop only thing they dont have is a video on the subject.
i know their was one put out by ian miller and rod harrison but cant get hold of it anymore ..but i do have the magazine australian rod crafter by ian miller will keep my eyes open for a video to ..cheers glen.
snapper man

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Glen,

Have a look on the Mudhole webb site as it is the biggest regarding rod building.

Regards :D

glen
Beginner
Beginner

rod biulding

Post by glen » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:49 pm

thanks jeremy ill check it out
snapper man

Tony Zann
Reporters
Reporters

Post by Tony Zann » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:18 am

All this gear, including DVDs on rod building, should be available at your local tackle shop, distributed in Aust by Frogleys offshore. Aussie-made DVD is inexpensive and covers all the basics, it's been out for around a year now but still doesn't appear on the Frogley website at www.fujitackle.com.au but there is a heap of other stuff there.
I've built > 50 rods in the past 30 years just using a few rests made from bits of T & G flooring pine. Cut a 15-20cm length, saw a V into it about 50mm wide and 50mm deep, sand and glue a bit of felt to the V. Hack off another similar length of plank to act as the base and bang a few nails through it to secure the rest at 90° - voila! Make up 3-4 of these and you can turn anything from a 4wt fly rod or 1kg spin stick to a 13' surf rod freely enough to bind yet when you let go of the blank it'll just sit there on the felt. Turns well in a cheap battery-powered rotissierie, too. Save your money for the guud stuff like guides, blanks, corks and thread.

noisy

Post by noisy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm

glen... a small trick taught to me by IAN MILLER..put rubber bands over the top and wrap some cello tape over the bands...something to hold the rod down..and something slippery for the rod to turn under....bob

ken moran
Angler
Angler

info

Post by ken moran » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:58 pm

I tried to bind some rods a few years ago, I took them to a local tackle shop to get them epoxied. It will cost about the same as doing it yourself but less mucking about and they will tell you if the binding will look good, or if you have to do it again.

I have seen a special binding method in one of the fishing books that is worth practicing, it invovles prewinding the last few turns on, but sort of reverse to the normal binding, so when you are finishing off the binding
these reverse windings automatically finish off the whipping, I could not possibly explain it any better than that but I think it was in the big blue fishing book that everyone has a copy of.

I thought about a vertical rod lathe for a while, but I dont think it is what you want........... :shock:

Can I suggest to bind them a few times for practice A LOT before you epoxy them, epoxy is hard to get off !