jewies

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

goat
Angler
Angler

jewies

Post by goat » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:32 pm

can anyone please tell me the best moon phases to fish for jewies off the beach/rocks in s.e.q.
cheers

Blue13
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Blue13 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:46 pm

Jewies have big eyes allowing a lot of light to be absorbed making them see well in the dark. Try fishing when the moon is new or out during the day.

goat
Angler
Angler

Post by goat » Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am

thanks for that; will save me a lot of time.
cheers

Mr_Willy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mr_Willy » Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 pm

I dont think anything can save you time when fishing for big mulloway.

YOU NEED TO PUT IN A LOT OF TIME!

neil

Jew fishing

Post by neil » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:56 am

If you are on rocks look for an area that has plenty of wash happening, around sunup/down. When the tide has stopped - high or low - doesn't matter.

Off the beach look for good gutters with good wash.

In a river (boat) find deep holes, fish the bottom of the holes. The further upriver you go the smaller the fish. Say 10 to 20 kg in the mouth and schoolies to 5 kg further up rivers. They will travel much further up river than most people think - even up some side creeks - looking for mullet etc.

Use live or very recently dead bait - yellowtail/yakka, slimies, legal size whiting even dart will do it - not to leave out mullet. Slabs/fillets or whole live poddy mullet. Any oily, bloody fresh slab bait can also work.

Allow probably ten trips to the same place for ONE fish. If you keep moving to new places the odds will get worse. Develop the technique, and as you get into it the pickup rate will pickup.

When you get really serious try lures.

neil

Something I forgot

Post by neil » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:00 pm

The main condition you wll have to consider is how many leave passes the boss will hand out for you to get the trip numbers up, in order to develop your technique.

It requires a very reasonably understanding 'she who must be obeyed' to let you out with the regularity and at the times required to catch these great fish.

Oh yeh - fish light its much more fun.

nigelr

Post by nigelr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:37 am

Squid is another excellent bait for surf jew.
Fresh is best, fresh frozen is also fine if you buy it fresh from your local co-op and then freeze it yourself ASAP.
Live mullet/tailor are also a prime bait, although more difficult to fish with in the dark.
Also not to be forgotten are live or 'metho'd' beachworms.
Personally I prefer the first and last quarters of the moon, as I fish the neap lows for mulloway.
Cheers and enjoy!