braid

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

goat
Angler
Angler

braid

Post by goat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:42 pm

hello
anyone out there use braid on an over-head reel? can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of using braid on an over-head with a mono leader.
thanks in advance.
goat.

craftycarp
Angler
Angler

Post by craftycarp » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:43 am

Actually I am interested in this also. particularly as it applies to distance casting.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 pm

On an overhead - forget it. I use 150 metres of mono (half a 300 m spool for economy reasons) and braid as a backing. Braid is much more managable on threadlines. As far as I'm concerned the detrimental low abrasion properties of braid far out weighs it's percieved sensitivity properties - We are talking surf here and no other modes of fishing.
Cheers
John

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:54 am

braid has its place on an over head reel but it all depends on the type of fishing you do.

goat
Angler
Angler

Post by goat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:02 pm

casting off the beach/rocks

goat
Angler
Angler

Post by goat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:01 pm

lively old forum this.

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:14 am

Goat ,

What I have found when using braids on the overheads is that if you are trying to get maximum distance the braid has a bad habbit of cutting in on itself and snapping , even when using a reasonably long shock leader.

When I use braid for the surf and want to use an overhead I use my 6500 CS's or 5500 CS reals with the level wind system.
I do not try for maxiumum distance and have to use a slighjtly softer tipped rod to reduce the suden load due to the non stretch nature of brain.
Also I limit it to the lighter weights so that also helps on reducing the pressure and therefore the habbit of burying into itself.

Hope that is a little bit of help.

Regards :D

craftycarp
Angler
Angler

Post by craftycarp » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:04 pm

Goat this fishingmonthly forum is a little slow but the info is worth it :)

goat
Angler
Angler

Post by goat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:09 am

i'll be patient.

ken moran
Angler
Angler

Post by ken moran » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:12 pm

I used braid for a while and got sick of it, due to feeling even the sinker rolling around in the surf, getting knots in it which you wont be able to get out, being expensive and not wanting to see all that expensive line damaged. However I am thinking of using it again out of a boat, by my mate tells me he doesnt like it cause it wears in rough condition. Maybe using a leader of braid just long enough for your needs, then you get more refills out of a spool.

Gorilla braid had a bad habit of snapping silently on an overhead due to it being sticky, Fusion falls apart in the surf due to the ''fusion'' being glue of some sort, Iron braid was good, but it was the last brand I had.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Guy's,
As far as I'm concerned my post of March 2007 still holds true. Stick to mono when power casting - the sensivity and thin diameter of braid is more than offset by it's negative characteristics - low abrasion resistance and bird nesting not to mention the high cost. There are many branches of the sport where braid reigns supreme - surf casting ain't one of them.
Cheers
John

craftycarp
Angler
Angler

Post by craftycarp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 am

The main problem I find with overheads and braid is the braid biting in during the cast therfore you get lots of bust offs. Like someone said use 150 meters of mono then braid backing. Its amazing how much you can fit on a 525 if you use braid as backing.

John Softly

Post by John Softly » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Crafty Carp,
I use the same method on small reels where I need increased capacity.
On an Abu 5500 I use 150 metres of .28 mono and about 600 metres of 6 kg b/s braid. On larger reels I still use 150 metres of mono but also use a fluro mono the same diameter as the main line as a backing. Purely an economic solution as 2 x 150 metres = 300 metres therefore you get 2 top ups from a 300 metre spool.
Cheers
John

Sandgroper
Angler
Angler

Braid:

Post by Sandgroper » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 am

I have read with interest the various comments on the use of 'braid' for fishing/casting and the 'lack of abrasion resistance' for braid, etc etc.

Please consider the following ramblings. :?

Lets be a little analytical here, and think about what we are using.

As a 'general' statement, most mono lines of .30 mm diametre are around the 15 lb breaking strain (give or take a smidgin). Now, what is the diametre of 15 lb braid :?:

From what I am using, its diametre is closer to .13 to .15mm. :!: That is only about half the amount of material needed to chafe away before it breaks.

Now to my way of thinking, if I wanted to have similar abrasion resistance to .30 mono, it makes sense to me to use .30 braid. After all, they are then of similar physical dimensions and would react similarly to any scrapings on sharp objects. :idea:

That people categorically state braid is NOT as good at abrasion resistance as what mono is, is to my way of thinking flawed. :x

Why do international casting competitions specify line diametre for specific weights and minimal line diametre for leaders? In their rules there are no line ratings mentioned at all. Are they onto something with these specifications? :shock:

I have used braid on my Daiwa SL30-SHV, SL40-SHV, SL50-SHA, Shimano Bantam 10X, Penn 525 knobby, and a various assortment of other threadlines and multipliers. Yep, every so often I get a birds nest, but that is generally my fault in my casting technique or I just stuff the cast. Its gonna happen. :evil:

I have played around with various braids and have found that for the way I cast, with the reels I use, I simply cannot go past Suffix Performance Braid. For 'big fish' fishing, .40 braid(65 lb) simply doesn't snap. Not casting, not abrading on rocks, not any way except when I cut it. It pulls hunks of coral out of the reef with a 'straight pull' (ie: wrap the line around the butt and walk backwards if you can without bending the rod) or straightens the hooks. If anything, one of the knots is generally first to give way.

So, if you want to compare mono and braid for abrasion tests, at least use same diametre lines for equity. You may be suprised with the results you can get. :lol:

Sandgroper
http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/collections ... ropers.asp

Ian Cameron
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian Cameron » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I find braid indispensable when beach fishing for tailor with cut bait, wire and breakaway sinkers. There is no benefit unfortunately to using overhead reels for most of the previously mentioned reasons except the abrasion theory which I dispute. I use 20lb fireline on a penn 850 with a 2metre 50lb mono leader to avoid tangles and a bandaid on my index finger to avoid blood loss [ mine ] . It throws at least as far as mono, you feel every touch, the eggbeater is fast enough to catch up to the fish when they inevitably pick up the bait and run at you, unlike the tournament size overheads that are less than half the retrieve speed, and the fireline breaks around 50lb which means I can safely pull out a well buried sinker or get stuck into the occasional jew or shovelly. I pulled a 7kg stargazer out of the sand with this gear and with mono it would have just been another "snag" on a clean beach. With a baby overhead it would have buried again as soon as you budged it the first time.

Using appropriate gear and techniques is what it is about not theories and whilst I have been using overheads for 44 years this is one place the big eggbeaters perform better. The other thing about BIG tailor is you get a lot more fish holding the rod as by the time you get it out of the rod holder too many of them are gone.

I use circles for many types of fishing but fish like tailor, mackeral etc that snap at the bait are better actively fished with J hooks.

My 3 bobs worth. Ian

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Ian ,

As a matter of interest a number of people have indicated that the Penns don't lay the braid on the spool for good distance casting. I understand that the newer Long spool reels will do a bettter job , but what sort of distances would you expect from the Penn in comparison ?

I have the Penn 9500SS and am considering loading it up with braid to compliment my Daiwa Emblem Pro.

What are your thoughts ?

Regards :D

adman

Re: braid

Post by adman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Ian how does the braid lay on the Emblem Pro is it the 550 model if so what size braid and how much do you need to load it cheers Adam.

LEIGH ROBINSON
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by LEIGH ROBINSON » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 pm

braid lays very well on the emblem ,as i said before its only about 5% behind full tournament style spinning reels ,

one day you will all understand for the average fisherman to achieve extreme fishing distance you need to use

technology with tenquice and you will buy big distance ,

braid dia to mono dia braid has far better abrasion quietly

tima
Angler
Angler

Post by tima » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:19 pm

Ian

What knot do you use to join the Fireline to the mono?

Tim