device to cast bait and sinker just like casting

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

neyund

device to cast bait and sinker just like casting

Post by neyund » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:18 am

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and first of all I'd like to say what a great forum this is. My old man and I love tailor fishing but he's got a bad shoulder so it makes it very difficult for him to cast. When we go fishing, I would cast his rod out then hand it over to him. It gets quite tiring if there's a good run on (casting for him and then mine). So I have been searching on the internet for a device that would launch the bait and sinker out to sea for him and save us some time and me the double effort.

Has anyone come across any device to do this? If so I would be very grateful to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
dan

cyberfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by cyberfish » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:29 am

Dan, welcome to the site :D I have seen a spring loaded mortar type device where you dropped the sinker down the tube and spring fired bait and sinker into the surf but I can't find it on the web right now. I'll get back to you if I find it.

Andrew

cyberfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by cyberfish » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 am

http://wwweng.uwyo.edu/electrical/facul ... ranger.pdf

This is a different type and looks complicated!

neyund

Post by neyund » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 am

HI Andrew,
yes I had something like the spring loaded mortar device but I too have not been able to find it on the web. I also came across the link you listed and yes it is a lot more complicated and expensive.

I am still looking too. I reckon it makes surf fishing just that bit easier for me old man. And I might use it too cos after 2 hours of fishing, the cast doesn't seem to go very far. I'd prefer to say my energy to wind in the fish.

Cheers,
dan

Nogster
Beginner
Beginner

Rocket launcher

Post by Nogster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:18 am

Many moons ago when I lived in Victoria, we built a mortar out of 1m length of 70mm PVC pipe. Glue a butt cap on one end, install a flap valve half way up the tube, and install a bike valve. From memory I think we put in some wire mesh just above the flap valve so that the bait and wouldn't interfere with the valve. We used compressed air cans to build up the pressure in the bottom. Insert bait and sinker and release. Probably highly dangerous in this day and age, but we certainly got a good distance with a squid and whitebait rig.

Cheers
Norm.

If you are really interested, try some Victorian forum, I'm sure they'll give you more detail
There is no gravity; the earth just sucks

ken moran
Angler
Angler

Scaler

Post by ken moran » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Maybe it time he manned the scaler?

I heard of people using a shangia? (rubber band slingshot) for getting out there, but I sure it wont cast a pilchard or any rig other than a sinker running to the hook