Surf spinning

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

lapulapu

Surf spinning

Post by lapulapu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi all,
Am looking at a new surf spinning outfit. Has to be as light as possible yet still able to make acceptable cast distances. Looking at a Nitro Surf Sniper 10' 3-6kg to spin with 40g lures all day long! What size reel should i be looking to pair with this? Looking at a Daiwa Exist 3000 or Daiwa Certate Hyer 4000. I notice some coupling 10 foot rods with 3000 size reels. ie Branzino gear etc. Is this a tad small for surf spinning? Should i roll with the 4000 or what? Any feed back from experienced anglers in this style of fishing would be greatly appreciated. Targeting salmon, tailor etc from down south surf locations. Any other rod recommendations etc appreciated. Thanks guys.

fish33
Angler
Angler

Post by fish33 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi Mate,

I have a Nitro Snipper. Great light surf or bay fishing rod for bream, whiting, salmon and taylor. You can hold it all day, I use it with a 4000 or 5000 size shimano and 6 to 8lb fireline, and its well balanced.

I find the Snipper is best with 20 gram lures and have got a lot of salmon and taylor to 4 kilos on the beach and rocks with it no problems, just take care and wash the fish up the rocks and dont try lifting the fish with it. It will cast 40 gram lures but not much further than 20 grams.
The snipper is also good at working larger soft plastics.

For 40 to 60 gram lures I use my Nitro Messiah. The Meshiah will hit 40 to 60 grams a long way. here is a bit of poor quality video of the Messiah casting a 2 ounce snapper lead, the best cast was 153 meters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaF0Jm_UlOo

cheers Gary

LEIGH ROBINSON
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by LEIGH ROBINSON » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:08 pm

I spin a lot of the beach for salmon , tailor, tuna ,and jews .The gear i use is set up for max distance with luers up to 85 grams ,Daiwa emblem pro 5500.4 meter blue marlin no 4 .and 10 or 8 lbs fierline , The rod comes in at 380 grams ,

crazyfish
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Surf spinning

Post by crazyfish » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Have a look at the rods from Kingfisher. They are South African made and are good distance casting rods. I have the Poseidon Bantam which is 13'6 and comes with 3 different tip sections. It is probably too heavy for you as the lightest tip casts 4-5 oz easily but I'm sure that they have a lighter version. I use this to plug poppers for tailor and salmon as the sun sets and then change to a heavier tip to set some fillet baits when it gets dark. Saves me from carrying 2 or 3 outfits.

Have a look at the link under the surf casting section.

http://www.kingfisher.co.za/Rods.asp

Happy spinning
CrazyF

adman

Post by adman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:29 am

Leigh how do you find the Emblem 5500.Also how does the 10lb fireline cast with the heavier raiders and what backing do you use on it cheers Adam.

LEIGH ROBINSON
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by LEIGH ROBINSON » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm

they are a good reel ,in distance they are only around 5% behind my comp reels ,no backing just straight 10 lbs fireline ,when you say heaver raiders ,i don't cast many over 85 grams on this set up ,40 and 65 go far enough for most spots ,

adman

Post by adman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Leigh 85grms is as heavy as i go i am currently using an old shakespear sigma long cast it is about 20 year old still going strong but i feel the need for an upgrade soon and an Emblem has popped up at a good price.I assume you use a 300m spool of 10lb fireline to load it or do you need more.Does the braid lay even on the Enblem as it does not on my Shakespear or TSS4 so i run platnium and low stretch pink on them cheers Adam.