Surf casting soft bait

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

shinheeyi
Beginner
Beginner

Surf casting soft bait

Post by shinheeyi » Mon May 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Hello

I have bit of Questing.

have anyone here used Soft bait for surf casting on beach.

I hear in many tackle shop in Australia emptied their bait tank since most fisherman now converted to soft bait.

I know they work well in bait but I have never hear good feed back on surf casting.

Share you story if you have tried it

your regard :?
PT

gippslander
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Surf casting soft bait

Post by gippslander » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Mate

To the best of my knowledge these soft baits attract fish largely through; visuals and there sense of touch via vibrations through the water. I know that some come with scent/gravy for want of a better word though this would still be a subsidiary attractant for relatively close range attraction. Hence these baits better described as lures really have been developed for clear water fishing or muddy waters that are relatively calm thus allowing vibrations to travel.

Hence if surf conditions are relatively calm and clear then fine use them as you would blade, spinner for salmon ect.

However, They are next to a shot in the dark if used as replacement for bait in normal static bottom surf fishing as they create limited vibrations which is also drowned out by wave action. Also suspended sand sediment in the surrounding surf waters negates the visual attraction. I think it is widely accepted that fish in such circumstances heavily rely on their smell in finding your hook.

I am though not an authority on such matters as I'm a barman who rarely fishes :oops: :wink: :roll: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: