Shock Leader

Discuss surfcasting and and all other things related to surf fishing here.

Moderator: John Softly

longline

Shock Leader

Post by longline » Wed May 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi,new to surf fishing, I use 12 foot glass rod with a solid tip,Daiwa emcast advanced 6000,spooled with 15 kg braid. I use a running sinker rig,easy clip I think thay are called
then about 4 foot of 60 ib trace size 7 or 8 Circle hook, start with fillet of eel,till I catch fresh bait on my small rod,then change to fresh bait.
I seem to be having trouble casting,the braid cuts into my finger,I have tried sticking plaster plus finger out of leather glove to save my finger tip.
Was told by a guy fishing near me to use a 60 ib shock leader.he said long enough to make about 4 turns around the reel.I did this went to footy oval to try out,for some reason I cant cast as far now ??? I think at times the join in the two lines sort of sticks just for a spilt second on top runner,I have used a double uni knot.
Now I am not sure what to do ? go back to sticking plaster,or keep shock leader?
Can anyone give me some idea how they fish in the surf.thanks in advance.I think this is a great site I am a new member here.
Longline

gra
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Shock Leader

Post by gra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 pm

hi there

i use to use a finger stoll so not to get finger ripped when casting.
do you have the shock leader all the way thru the eyes with at least 4 turns around the spool?

gra

John Softly

Re: Shock Leader

Post by John Softly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:03 am

Somewhat late on this one but it's the main line (.35mm) to leader (.70mm) connection I have been using for the past 10 years and it has never failed me once. There have been occasions where I have had to break out and the main line snaps just above the knot but it has never given way in normal surfcasting.
The answer to tying this succesfully lies in the brand of leader used. The blob, created with a Bic lighter or similar, can, in some brands of line, be brittle and after the uni knot is tightened up snap off. I am using Siglon tournament line (37kg - .70mm) but Penn leader works OK and in lighter leaders Penn 10x will hold a blob as well. You need to experiment and the excercise is well worth it as it is, by far, the smallest leader knot.
Cheers
John