Lack of Queensland Rounds

Information and results for the Hobie BREAM Kayak series can be found on the BREAM (www.bream.com.au) website. Discuss any BREAM Kayak topics here.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Mad Mullet
Beginner
Beginner

Lack of Queensland Rounds

Post by Mad Mullet » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 am

Hi all

Can anyone please shed some light as to why there are so few Queensland rounds again this year?
There appears to be only two, plus a Tweed round which is acutally in NSW isn't it?
I'd love to be able to compete in the series but the lack of opportunity and travel required if you live north of Brisbane makes it difficult?
Are there any plans for a Queensland final in the future as that would at least give us something to aim at.

Cheers
Dave

fire blood
Angler
Angler

Re: Lack of Queensland Rounds

Post by fire blood » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Think of the guys in WA only 1 abt and some classics. At least we have BETS an Gamma rounds.
Tassie only gets 1 round and 3 classics, so really it's not that bad.
Low entries and some other things have attributed to getting 8 rounds of Abt this year.
Just the way it is for now.
Dan Walter

Mad Mullet
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mad Mullet » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for the input.
I hope my post doesn't sound too negative as that isn't the intention. I just figured that if nobody asks the question, then things will probably stay the way they are. I'd just like to see more kayak rounds up here so that the sport gets a chance to grow.

I do sympathise with WA, Tas and other states who get such a limited opportunity when some states seem to have so many.
There's plenty of keen kayak anglers up this way but I guess numbers are chicken and the egg stuff. if people aren't given the opportunity to compete, then they probably won't bother to enter.
I fished all Queensland rounds a couple of years back and they were all big fields and seemed to be very successful, so I'm surprised it's down to a lack of numbers. The non ABT kayak comps up here seem to get plenty of entries too.
It's just a suggestion but next year is there any chance of at least one event north of Bris? What about somewhere on Sunny Coast or even Hervey Bay? Qld is such a big state that it would give central Queensland anglers a chance to get involved. Maybe the Grand Final could head north for a change.

Cheers
Dave

MickR
Angler
Angler

Post by MickR » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Hey mate

Kayak tournaments are in their infancy compared to ABT so once it's up and running there may be a chance of expansion throughout each state.

At the moment the thing that I like is that the few events of 2012 will concentrate all the particpants which will give more significance to the events that do happen, also with the joint weigh-ins and same day events it will lift the profile of pure kayak fishing to a higher level.

Let's see how 2012 goes and it will be re-assessed for 2013.

Mick.