Livewell

Information and results for the Hobie BREAM Kayak series can be found on the BREAM (www.bream.com.au) website. Discuss any BREAM Kayak topics here.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

lostoutatsea
Beginner
Beginner

Livewell

Post by lostoutatsea » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm

i'm thinking of building a livewell.
would anyone have any suggestions on where to start.
i'm thinking of getting maybe a 25L storage container but would that effect the fish as it is clear and sitting in the sun the whole time during the comp. or should i op for a 26L esky that is insolated reducing heatting of the water and is dark on the inside.

Jon

flyrot
Angler
Angler

Post by flyrot » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:20 pm

G'day Lost,

The ABT boating rules require insulated livewells, so in the Fishes best interest you would be best going this way.

I'm looking at adapting a 25l insulated esky, with an aerator and a litre sized cup to change the water. Possibly a mesh inner cover so the hard earned Breambos don't jump out when changing water.

Make sure the lid is attached to the esky, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of extra paddling chasing it!

It all sounds good in theory but the reality of setting up and accessing a livewell behind my seat is another matter!!!

Good luck

Angus
If it's not in the water, it's not catching fish!!

lostoutatsea
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lostoutatsea » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:26 pm

thanks fly

I guess the esky it is.
has anyone found a good aerator that doesn't make to much noise or vibrations as the one i have is really noisy. i was thinking of using a bilge pump or something similar to pump water in everyfew mintues to refresh the water.

Jon

Dell
Angler
Angler

Post by Dell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:37 pm

I was browsing the AKFF and found this set up pretty interesting.
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10076

Occulator

Hello from the Occulator

Post by Occulator » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm new to this site, but have been a member of AKFF for quite some time. Those of you who frequent that site will know who I am.

I made up this unit about 12 months ago, in the hope we would eventually get some kayak bream tournaments going. I can confirm it works (will keep a couple of breambo's alive for more than 6 hours), so with the upcoming Sydney round of this competition it will be put to good use. All I've gotta do now is catch some decent bream. Easier said than done eh. :wink: :wink:

If anyone wants some advice or assistance with something like this don't hesitate to contact me.

justcrusin
Angler
Angler

Post by justcrusin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm sure your following me around Paul. :wink: :lol:

Occy's esky is a good allround design lost, me I'm lazy an going to cough up the dough for a hobie livewell.

Cheers Dave

Occulator

Post by Occulator » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:55 am

Sell ya mine for half the cost dave. :P :wink:

bigtez
Angler
Angler

Re: Livewell

Post by bigtez » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 am

Does the livewell have to be able to hold 25L of water? or would a 25L esky that is plumbed with overflow outlets (won't hold 25L but would be fairly close to it) and an aerator that pumps in freshwater every few minutes be sufficient?

Greg Lewis
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Greg Lewis » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:51 pm

I used an esky last year for the Hobie series.
It was nothing flash - just your regular Willow esky, with a 15 buck JW areator clipped to the handle, and a small tub to fill the thing up.
I had no drama's at all with keeping the 2 fish alive for any of the comps (even the hot rounds up in qld) - so I personally wouldn't bother spending time and money on pumps, and in/out pipes - especially if you're only going to be using it for a couple of comps.
I did 'refresh' the water during the comp by taking out 2 or 3 scoops and replacing them with some fresh - but that was more for peice of mind, than the fish looking a bit crook.
I'm now using a Hobie tank though - and love it.
Regards,
Greg
Proud member of the Hobie Factory Fishing Team (NSW)
Product sponsorship by Millerods
Hobiefishing.com.au

Tagged

Post by Tagged » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:55 am

Does anyone have the factory Hobie live well and if so are they good and value for money ?
Tagged and Released

kraley

Post by kraley » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 pm

The Hobie Livewell is a nice, self contained complete solution. Its a bit pricey. Lots of us just use a cheap esky with a simple aerator.

Are they value for money? If you needed a livewell for bait preservation and were fishing lots of tournaments - I can see how you might want one.

kraley

Post by kraley » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Tagged wrote:Does anyone have the factory Hobie live well and if so are they good and value for money ?
I have used the Hobie Livewell and it is a good, complete solution. It is pricey.

Lots of us use simple esky's with aerators. That is a cheaper alternative - but requires lots of manual water replacement.

Whether its good value for money would be determined if you use it lots. Do you often get live bait? Is it just for tournaments?

hurley
Angler
Angler

Post by hurley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:30 pm

do the hobie ivewells fit on any other yak,
or does anybody make a simular product that is more universal, i have a moken 10 lite
thanks gh

lostscale
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lostscale » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am

The factory livewell is a good unit but I have made some small changes to it.I made the intake tube longer as the factory one is a touch to short for a PA and the outlet pipe I put a 30cm length of the same tube as the inlet inside the existing outlet pipe.This makes the well alot quieter as the water is discharged under the yak and not in a hollow scupper tube and gives me more water capacity as I can raise the outlet hight (good for our 4 fish comp's). The only downside is when you get a keg'r bream the fit through the lid is a little tight.
It's easy to catch fish from the lounge or a barstool.