Saegake Hama Special

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

strewth
Angler
Angler

Saegake Hama Special

Post by strewth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Just broke my Saegake Hama Special (groan) and was wondering if there is anything similar to it on the market. Really like the action, the reel seat with the screw-down foregrip (I hate holding on to plastic thread), and the handle length. Anyone have one they want to sell?

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Re: Saegake Hama Special

Post by cuckoo4caca » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:04 am

Hey

Search the forums you may pick up the "Au spec Saegake" with alconite guides second hand. "HLZ Saegake 6101MLFS" is still available in Japan, but its the original silicone guided version and you will be looking at around 58000JPY.
Charltons or Fishead Store at Redland Bay in QLD can order you one of these and has in stock "HL Ryuron Spinning 6102MLFS-07" for $775.00. And will also, in the future have the new PE Performance "Saegake 762LFS-10" which is about 63000JPY. Most of the new Heartlands are as expensive, if not more than Steez, they are just not marketed here in Australia.
Depending on your budget, hope this helps.

Cheers,

strewth
Angler
Angler

Post by strewth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for the update. I wondered what the diff was between the Jap spec and Aus spec versions - are the guides still chrome-framed on the Jap spec version?

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 am

On the Saegake and HLZ models post -1999, most are titanium famed with silicone inserts. That is what the "Ti ver" written on some of HLZ blanks stands for "titanium version". On the Saegake, i think its "Svf Ver" which is the type of graphite - which you prob already know...... But most said "Ti Ver"!
I had 2 HLZ Midge Directions 682LFS - 03, one with alconites and one with silicones and could not feel much difference, but the Ti Ver are apparently lighter.
Most of the new HL spinning rods - Ryuron, Shin Zan, New Saegake 76 etc, are titled Pe Performance and have new LBD guides and K- guides specically designed for tangle free casting with PE-lines. Pretty cool.
There is no other HL that is as crisp or as fast actioned as the Saegake 6'10- its one of a kind.
In my experience the closest you will get for power rating, weight and length would be Ryuron spinning 6'10 or the original Hama Spinning special 6'10.
I could crap on all day about these rods..... but I'll spare you the pain. Ha Ha.

Cheers,

strewth
Angler
Angler

Post by strewth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks again for the update. With my (broken) Aus spec Daiwa Heartland Z 6101MLFS-SV I never had dramas with tangles and I love the action. I run it with Gekkabijin 2004 reel from Japan and it works a treat.

The new braid-friendly guides look the goods - surprised it has taken so long for someone to figure it out....

My guides do not look to have titanium frames though. I will check again when I get home.

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 am

Yeah, your Aus spec model will have chrome-framed alconite guides like most Saegakes,Midge Directions, Plug Snipers and Solid Power Slim Spinning series specials in Austrailia.

Cheers,

strewth
Angler
Angler

Post by strewth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 pm

I wonder why Daiwa stopped importing the Aus spec version? Seemed to be a popular rod....

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

I dont think the alconite versions are made anymore?????? and were only bought to Australia because they could be sold cheaper, at around the $350 mark. I am told Daiwa Aus only import the JDM heartlands in bulk when offered at a "special price" from Daiwaseiko.... like in 1999/2000 when a load of JDM Heartland CX's hit our shores and sold for only 200bucks with sic guides.......Sadly, last run of this occurring was in 2005/2006 with HLZs Shiro-Hayate-04, Longcast Finese-02 and THE CHEETAH-02 - these were all Ti Sic versions, hence the price range from $450 - $500. Which was still pretty good considering the JPY retail on all 3 rods was from $43000 to $44800.
Keep your eyes on the forums, a few Saegakes come up every year.
Good Luck with it!