Sooty Grunter

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

mattpalmer

Sooty Grunter

Post by mattpalmer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all, First post. I'm a keen bass angler on the sunny coast, and looking to load up the hobie over the easter break and hopefully catch some sooties. I dont want to fish any impoundments, looking for some tight water creeks etc...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Never caught a sooty.

Tagged

Re: Sooty Grunter

Post by Tagged » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Welcome on board Matt, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out.
Tagged and Released

Steve_Moore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve_Moore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Matt,
How far are you willing to travel? I can recommend plenty of creeks up north that would see you catch your first sootie. Any of the major creeks north of Townsville are worth a try especially the ones between Ingham and Cairns. some of the ones that I can recommend are Crystal Creek, Herbert River, Blencoe Creek, Meunga Creek, Russel and Mulgrave rivers and if you really want a guarantee - fish the Tully River. Might want to get some local knowledge after the recent cyclone though. Not sure if you would be kayaking or white water rafting! Most of these spots will also provide the chance of getting Jungle Perch as well. I fished the Blencoe falls area a couple of years back and got 20 fish in the first 100m fished, all on poppers.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

mattpalmer

Post by mattpalmer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling I was going to have to travel further a field. May end up fishing the Calliope River in Gladstone for some Jacks/barra instead. Sounds like a really memorable trip to Blencoe falls. Thanks again for your time.

Willy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Willy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 pm

i got one in a tank . :lol: dont put your finger in the tank they nasty