Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

paulymassy

Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)

Post by paulymassy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Hey all Fishing Monthly Members,

I am going to a remote destination on Wednesday the 17th of June called Camp Island,
The resort is more commonly known as Silver Shoals Fishing Lodge.
I was wondering if anyone has had any past experiences or information they would like to share about the island
as at the moment i am a bit unsure of what to expect.

Cheers in advance
Pauly

Bassifier
Angler
Angler

Re: Silver Shoals Lodge (Camp Island)

Post by Bassifier » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 pm

I'd be seriously wary of a place called "Camp" island!
:lol:

Steve_Moore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve_Moore » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 am

Great spot. it is off the mouth of the Elliot River, also great fishing. you will encounter evrything from big spanish macks and GT's to coral trout and other reef species. not to mention the abundance of mud crabs. i was up at the elliot at easter. caught 80 fish the first day just on poppers. enjoy your stay.

paulymassy

Post by paulymassy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:06 pm

thanks steve mate 80 fish on the first day all on poppers!!!!! what species and how big!
any hints on spots or what rigs to use around the place gear etc
cheers

Steve_Moore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve_Moore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm

I fished the river and got whiting up to 38cms, jacks, flathead, bream, trevally, barra, it is all on offer up there. i lived in Bowen for 6 years and it was some of the best fishing of my life and the elliot was my favourite hotspot. there are some great bommies and shallow reefs around the island to throw plastics, poppers, hardbodies and metal slugs. the tuna and macks can go crazy up there at times.
let me know how you go.

paulymassy

Post by paulymassy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

thats aweosome mate.
have you ever done any heavy popping for the BIG GT's up there?? i hear they are good at the coal loading jetty and the national park headlands. i will definately let you know mate thanks for the help! great to know some stuff about there as i have virtually no idea what to expect haha!

cheers pauly.

Steve_Moore
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve_Moore » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:53 pm

yes i have - Abbot point jetty is crazy. huge GT's, good luck stopping them. last time i visited i broke a rod and went through a whole tray of lures but it was worth every dollar lost. vertical jig raiders or hop 5" plastics and you will meet them. may get a big spanish as well. best i got went 33 kgs but have seen a 45 kg model from there. Big tiger sharks - stay in the boat. if you hook something that feels like a submarine it will be the groper that live there. about 300lbs of freight train. can't stop them on 100lb gear - we've tried and i still don't think it knew it was hooked. some big fingermark around the pylons. squid at night will get them. phillip's reef not too far from there - good coral trout spot.
yes there are big gt's at camp. the guides will get you onto them if you ask.
this is making me want to move back there! enjoy your slice of fishing paradise and send some pics.
cheers, steve.

devocean

Post by devocean » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey Paul

I live just down the road from this place and I have stayed there myself. The place has some awesome fishing on offer and has plenty of divesity. The loading jetty is running hot with big spanish at the moment and the GTs are plentiful as well, though the pylons are making them hard to top. I gt a few up there the other day at around the 15 to 20 kg mark.

Camp Island has an excellent reef sysem only a couple of kiolmetres off the Ilsand which is loaded with excellent bombies. Awesome for trout and blue spot tuskies as well as the usual reef species. If you get a chance head north up arund Cape Upstart which is also firing with big macks and the rest as well at the moment. The creeks are pretty good to but tidal and there are plenty of jacks around as well. The best spot for creek fishing is north of Camp just at the base of the Cape. Check it out on Google earth.

I am sure Bill and Brian will look after you very well.

jimm1909

Post by jimm1909 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:29 am

devocean wrote:Hey Paul

I live just down the road from this place and I have stayed there myself. The place has some awesome fishing on offer and has plenty of divesity. The loading jetty is running hot with big spanish at the moment and the GTs are plentiful as well, though the pylons are making them hard to top. I gt a few up there the other day at around the 15 to 20 kg mark.

Camp Island has an excellent reef sysem only a couple of kiolmetres off the Ilsand which is loaded with excellent bombies. Awesome for trout and blue spot tuskies as well as the usual reef species. If you get a chance head north up arund Cape Upstart which is also firing with big macks and the rest as well at the moment. The creeks are pretty good to but tidal and there are plenty of jacks around as well. The best spot for creek fishing is north of Camp just at the base of the Cape. Check it out on Google earth. You can also see a great image of The Hotels Lake Tahoe on Google Earth.

I am sure Bill and Brian will look after you very well.
Thanks for the great description, I am heading there myself real soon.

-Jim

straighte180

Post by straighte180 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm

I have been there several times and can easily add to how awesome the fishing is. Its cyclone season so watch out for the next few weeks (late Jan 2011)!

Along with the fishing, camp island or silver shoals lodge is a gorgeous place to stay. It has a tennis court, pool, beautiful grounds, resident kangaroos and the architecture of the main house and bungalows won awards.

I just had a look at their site and it looks like the resort is up for sale now - but they are still accepting holiday rentals and organised packages by the looks of it. http://www.silvershoalslodge.com.au/

Happy fishing, Ian

cyncyn

Post by cyncyn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am

straighte180 wrote:I have been there several times and can easily add to how awesome the fishing is. Its cyclone season so watch out for the next few weeks (late Jan 2011)!
Along with the fishing, camp island or silver shoals lodge is a gorgeous place to stay. It has a tennis court, pool, beautiful grounds, resident kangaroos and the architecture of the main house and bungalows won awards.
I just had a look at their site and it looks like the resort is up for sale now - but they are still accepting holiday rentals and organised packages by the looks of it. http://www.silvershoalslodge.com.au/
Happy fishing, Ian
________
Does anyone have any recent info on this property? Wondering if the change of ownership enhanced it or not???
Would love to head on up but would like to find out a little more info before I book.
Many thanks!

Cynthia