boofing on the pine

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

jaylay
Angler
Angler

boofing on the pine

Post by jaylay » Sun May 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Was out last night getting some prawns from the shore several kms up in the Pine River when I noticed there was a massive amount of surface activity. Bait would literally shower across the surface fleeing an unknown predator. It actually sounded like rain. At these times the net would fill with boney bream. I have been cast netting in this area for many years and have never seen a boney bream here. In fact the bait was so thick that as I left, the boney bream followed my car lights and stranded themselves on the shore.

While casting I heard some of the biggest boofing noises on the surface I have ever heard. Not having a rod with me, I was wondering if anyone has any clue as to what would be feeding in this manner. It gave me a serious fright when the noise happened only 3 metres from me. The first sounded like a bucket being pulled under.

Many thanks for the info

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Re: boofing on the pine

Post by UdlMan » Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Barra.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Mon May 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Are you serious about Barra? I have heard of them being caught this far south but was thinking maybe jew or threadies. I wasn't sure if these species boofed on the surface.

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 pm

They have bee caught in the Brisbane, Logan, Coomera and Nerang rivers more than once.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Post by Fender67 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Along time ago when I used to go down to deep water bend there used to be a heap of sharks that would jump up out of the water do the twist thing then slap back down ??

jaylay
Angler
Angler

Post by jaylay » Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm

It was definitely a boofing sound although the thought of sharks swimming around me in waist deep water at night will stay with me for a while thanks Fender!

grave41
Beginner
Beginner

Post by grave41 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Jewies definatley.
Graham

Carnrat

Post by Carnrat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 am

I just read this post. As a Caboolture resident I would just like to add to this thread (even though a month late) If you are ever going to catch Jew in the local creeks and river here in the south east MAY is the month to do it. From my experience the school jew seem to congregate around this time. A really good place to catch one if you have never, is the mouth of Breakfast Creek in Brisbane. I grew up in Windsor and we allways got a bunch there while growing up in the area. Never forget the look on a couples face when i pulled in about a 20lb'r on a gold bomer lure from under breaky creek bridge. :shock: