Proposed trip to Weipa

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

Tarrega8
Beginner
Beginner

Proposed trip to Weipa

Post by Tarrega8 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:44 pm

I am intending to tow a 4.35 quintrex with 50 Honda to Weipa .Any help and information about towing to Weipa especially regarding 2011 road conditions ( those of 2004/2005 sound horrendous!!) would be much appreciated. Perhaps the road has improved since then. Once there information re fishing locations for fly and lure and whether a boat of this size is suitable to get to suitable locations particularly in relation to safety.Many thanks t8

cody1
Angler
Angler

Re: Proposed trip to Weipa

Post by cody1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey mate, I did a trip to Weipa in May with the same hornet and the road was pretty good. On the way up we were one of the first through and it wasn't to bad, some had been graded. There were some pot holes but if you take your time you shouldn't have a drama. I lifted my trailer up about 5 inches from stock standed before I left and that made clearance in all the creek crossings fine. On the way back all the road had been recently graded and was a breeze. Still took 3 days to get back to brissie though.

It is well worth the trip and the fishing is great. Depending on weather you can go all the way down the coast and catch all manner of fish. Mission River is probably best for barra. We caught 3 over 1 metre and plenty of other stuff. Fish under Mission River bridge at night and it will blow your mind. Blue salmon all over the shop and some big barra. Offshore from hey and embley plenty of Spanish, doggies, LT's and queenies. Fish the last creek on your left as you go out the mouth on the last half of the outgoing and you will have some insane action on massive queenies on poppers.

Is a pretty special place and definitely recommend it. The roads are fine, take your time and all will be good.

Cody

Tarrega8
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tarrega8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Thx Cody really has put my mind at rest and will go ahead and book for trip. Great to hear that you were able to get around easily with the 4.35 boat.? is it safe with regards to crocodiles to fish from any of the beaches as I am a keen flyfisher .

cody1
Angler
Angler

Post by cody1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey mate. The fishing is awesome you will love it. There are plenty of beaches and rocky outcrops you can use your fly. Just stand a couple of meters back and you will be safe from the crocs. If you fell out of the boat or where in the water the sharks will get you before the crocs.

If you take the boat to the mouth of hey and embley and fish the beach you will kill it. I fished fly of this beach 3 years ago and got queenies and a nice barra. Also some really good golden trevs and doggie mackerel around. You can also fish the beach down the coast, it's usually nice and clear so you will be right with crocs. Some good blue salmon that move along the beach. Also saw a massive school of permit along the beach in May. The queenies ate everywhere so you will have a ball on fly and poppers. Good luck and look forward to seeing the results when you get back.

Cody

Tarrega8
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tarrega8 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Thx Cody trip is 12 mths away but wi;ll get back to you then

Regards

wombat72
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wombat72 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Mate I also towed a boat there in May of this year. No worries really, it's a pretty good road. Send a pm if you would like to discuss

jayh121

Post by jayh121 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Did the trip go ahead guys? Or has it been rescheduled?

Thanks in advance.