Fishing from Mordialloc Pier (Melbourne)

Have your say, share ideas, tell the tales .....

Moderator: Big_unit

Fishing from Mordialloc Pier (Melbourne)

Postby smcc » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi

I am just getting back into fishing after many years break, I live near Mordialloc pier and would like to know from people who fish there the type of rigs, hook size, bait and what are the best times to go etc.

I have been told to use size 6 hooks for flathead, Salmon and whiting and a larger 1/0 hook for pinkies. The recommended bait was baby bottle squid for most types of fish.

I would like to start off targeting whiting, flathead and salmon, any advice to get me started would be appreciated.

What other piers or locations close to Mordialloc are good?

Thanks

Sean
smcc

Postby Dodgyback » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi Sean

It's been years since I heard any one mention good old Mordy pier.

I used to hire boats from Mordy creek to catch Flatties when I was an apprentice.

I think you best bet will be to have a chat to the local tackle shop at Mordy I'm sure there are still a few there and see what they have to say.

But if you fish from the bank go and give Patterson creek a go for the Bream.

When I lived in Melb 20 years ago Rex Hunt always said it was a great place to fish , so give that ago.

Also the piers from Franston to Mordy should be good for night fishing, with luck you might even pick up a snapper

Good luck

MICK
Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Postby Jeremy Schrader » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Smcc ,

There are a lot of mullet to be caught in the creak as well as next to the pier as well as Bream and Silver Trevally. If you get there in the mornings tha bay trout and Salmon turn up from time to time.

Baits for the mullet can be as simple as Chicken fillet , Maggots or sandworm. For the Bream try cayching some of the shrimp that are located in the reeds in the upper part of the creek.

For the Salmon , Tevally etc try whitebat or small fillets if Pilchard.

Bet fishing is done with a float but light patternoster rig also can be successful.

Fish with a light a weight as possible and light lines and you will have better chance of picking up a fish.

regards
:D
Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Return to General Fishing Discussion