skeeter with 90 etec or nitro with 90 optimax

Ask questions, relay stories, tell us about your boat ...

Moderator: Big_unit

TheSaint
Angler
Angler

Re: skeeter with 90 etec or nitro with 90 optimax

Post by TheSaint » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:28 pm

scott19 wrote:I find the 640 is the best size of boat for my style of bream fishing and it handles the rough water really good , (just ask Darren love and Simon Saint :lol: )
Hahaha Scotty that is true about rough water we had to slow down in the skeeter & you punched straight thru it with the nitro! Just to add my 2 cents into this.. I've found the Nitro's to be a great rough water boat & IMO best riding bass boat on the market but that in my opinion tho..

adamward
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adamward » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Guys,
Have been following this post for a bit now and instead of bagging someone elses product on a public forum , I thought I might throw a different angle at this. Obviously the majority of glass boat owners think that their current brand is the best and this is rightly so as most of us were suckers to throw $40 to $60 grand at a boat to chase bream and bass. Each one has a benefit over the other in one way or another and all are a big step up from our Hornets and other tinnies. I am a proud Skeeter owner and wouldn't change for anything so obviously my post will be biased towards Skeeters. Perhaps to make this guys choice of brands a little easier could we take off our so called blinkers and look at Skeeters from this point of view. Skeeter and Josh Batterson are the biggest supporters of ABT Bream and Bass events by far compared to any other manufacturer. They sponsor the Bass grand final with the Trip Of A Lifetime to the States, contribute massivly to the Bream Teams grand final prize of a boat, trailer and motor package, offer a $500 prize bonus to the winner of a tournament using their product, continually support ABT events throughout the year and are the only boat sponsor of the new Berkley/Evinrude teams series. The Skeeter Owners Tournament is another yearly event that is probably one of my personal favourites on the callender. Skeeter boats are also the choice of boats for the countrys biggest tackle suppliers with Shimano, Pure Fishing (Berkley & Plfuger) and Gammakatsu ( Frogleys Offshore ) all on board. Their back up service is second to none and nothing is ever a problem to Josh who is there 24/7. So without trying to up set anyone prehaps when considering which brand of boat to buy we should make supporting the guys who support us an important consideration. It goes way past who is the fastest on the water and who catches the most fish.

Thanks, Adam.
adamward

DaveW
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by DaveW » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:54 pm

adamward wrote:Guys,
Have been following this post for a bit now and instead of bagging someone elses product on a public forum , I thought I might throw a different angle at this. Obviously the majority of glass boat owners think that their current brand is the best and this is rightly so as most of us were suckers to throw $40 to $60 grand at a boat to chase bream and bass. Each one has a benefit over the other in one way or another and all are a big step up from our Hornets and other tinnies. I am a proud Skeeter owner and wouldn't change for anything so obviously my post will be biased towards Skeeters. Perhaps to make this guys choice of brands a little easier could we take off our so called blinkers and look at Skeeters from this point of view. Skeeter and Josh Batterson are the biggest supporters of ABT Bream and Bass events by far compared to any other manufacturer. They sponsor the Bass grand final with the Trip Of A Lifetime to the States, contribute massivly to the Bream Teams grand final prize of a boat, trailer and motor package, offer a $500 prize bonus to the winner of a tournament using their product, continually support ABT events throughout the year and are the only boat sponsor of the new Berkley/Evinrude teams series. The Skeeter Owners Tournament is another yearly event that is probably one of my personal favourites on the callender. Skeeter boats are also the choice of boats for the countrys biggest tackle suppliers with Shimano, Pure Fishing (Berkley & Plfuger) and Gammakatsu ( Frogleys Offshore ) all on board. Their back up service is second to none and nothing is ever a problem to Josh who is there 24/7. So without trying to up set anyone prehaps when considering which brand of boat to buy we should make supporting the guys who support us an important consideration. It goes way past who is the fastest on the water and who catches the most fish.

Thanks, Adam.

Very well said Wardy.
DaveW

30m rule be damned - a lure in the head wins everytime..........

leelee
Angler
Angler

Post by leelee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Dave I love the new signature :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Lee
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

nabs12
Angler
Angler

Post by nabs12 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:48 pm

I was gona say the exact same thing. That KICKS ASS!
Best signature EVER.

Nguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Nguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:57 am

Well i hope the fish are bitting this well tonight, sorry if i have upset any one i was just having a sh!% stir, as Adam said consider the boats that look after the comps if your into doing them, if you would like to know anything about the Nitro 640 with the 90 opti you can send a PM as i have owned one, there are lots of good boats for sale at the momment and what ever you buy you will be happy with i am sure, one thing you should consider is the trailer if you are going to use it in salt water, most of the trailers from the US are not gal, and will rust very fast, and are not made for our environment, all the skeeters come with Australian made trailers that you can readly get parts for any where.

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:29 am

Nguy wrote:one thing you should consider is the trailer if you are going to use it in salt water, most of the trailers from the US are not gal, and will rust very fast, and are not made for our environment, all the skeeters come with Australian made trailers that you can readly get parts for any where.
Fact....
All Nitro Trailers and most other brands from late 90s have come standard Gal , they also have a System call Gal Protection Witch is a System were the trailer is Gal and its has a special Marine paint over the top as well.
http://www.nitro.com/about/custom-boat-trailers.cfm
What you will find is most Bass boat dealers do put new Dunbier Axel , discs brake kit and coupling on .
My Nitro Trailer has been used 2 Days a week for over 2 and half years in Salt Water and I have out lasted most Aus Trailer products around.
The new Triton we have arriving will be on new Dunbier trailers , Possible on a new Alloy Skid trailer the first in OZ. 8)

I have to Agree what Adam said, All us fisherman are passonate people and what ever we own is the best product around ,
When buying a new boat it does come down to what you like and what you want in a boat , Some people want to be like everyone else and have the same boat as my mate and etc but then there a people who do the research and see what boat will be right for them and maybe stand out from the crowd
I think everyone would agree that Josh from Skeeter has done a great job within the ABT and we all hope that he does keep surporting the ABT.

Grimace_

Post by Grimace_ » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 pm

contribute massivly to the Bream Teams grand final prize of a boat, trailer and motor package
Skeeter does support the Bream, Bass and Barra scene, more so than any other boat manufacturer. Correct me if i'm wrong though, but I believe ABT pay for the Boat, motor and trailer, no doubt at a discounted rate, but the statement above reads to me that it is donated which I am pretty sure it isn't.

leelee
Angler
Angler

Post by leelee » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm

burnzie wrote:Looking at buying either skeeter with 90 etec or nitro with 90 optimax at the beginning of next year for some bream comps and was wondering which boat or motor people would recommend. any other boats people recommend would be a great help.
Thanks burnzie
Mate since you have limited your budget to only include a 90hp then on that basis alone I would suggest the nitro 640. Only because 90hp is its max hp.

The comparable boats you are looking at is the Nitro 640 v the Skeeter sx170. The sx170 is max hp rated to 115 and have seen a few with 90hp on them and almost all the owners wished they had upgraded to 115.

The issue you will have here is most anglers will tell you how good their boats are, but do not reveal all the truths. Most of the people that have replied here do not own the model you are after. Most own sx180, sx190 and other larger models. Just because it comes from the same factory does not mean they all handle and perform the same. It like trying to compare an SS Commodore to a base level commodore. Might look the same but are to different beasts.

The bigger the boat you go the better it will handle the not ideal conditions.

You also need to factor in more then just hp on your boat. Look at deck layout, storage, front and rear deck space, rod storage etc more importantly try to find a boat that suits what you want. No point having a 21 footer with 250 on the back if you like to fish hard timber in impoundments because half the time the boats will not fit.

Have a good think about what you want in a boat, what you fish for, where you fish and more importantly what suits your budget. Pretty sure most guys would be quite happy to take you out for a spin in their ride and then you can compare.

I have a Nitro NX750 and for comparison stakes its equivalent is the fits somewhere between the SX170 and SX180, but not the 640 as the 750 is much bigger and a totally different hull.

I would never choose a boat just because they sponsor the said events I choose to fish as sponsorship does not define a better boat, just a better marketing strategy and just because industry sponsors use their product, once again the original purchase price of the hull would be a definate factor in which hull they choose to use. If memory serves me correctly Shimano used to run all Pro Strikes, even when Skeeter was around. The best deal can land industry sponsors so do not always let marketing define your choice.

If say Ranger boats gave Shimano 3 x 188VX's with 175's for free do you really think that Shimano or any other industry sponsor would be using them for any other reason then the fact they were free?

The best boat is the one you are happy with, end of story.

As for motors well I wont even get into that because it will cause a more issues then what it is worth.

Cheers

Lee
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Saying all this I might be having my Nitro 640 up for sale. 8) Let me know burnzie I take ya for a run .

ICS
Angler
Angler

Post by ICS » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:08 pm

scott19 wrote: Possible on a new Alloy Skid trailer the first in OZ. 8)
Sorry Scott, there are already full aluminium trailers in Australia. I have a US built Magic Tilt trailer under my Stratos.

ICS

Awoonga
Angler
Angler

Post by Awoonga » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 am

Ok my turn l have a SX170 with a 115 HO...Goes quite well. l did have the 115 and upgraded.. best thing l ever did .As far as Boats go happy with the SX170. The only thing missing is the hatch in front of the drivers console .But saying that the more room you have the more stuff you carry.

DaveW
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by DaveW » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 am

leelee wrote:Dave I love the new signature :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Lee
Ta mate - I'm trying to take out the 'Signature of the year' Award - might even get a patch :lol: :lol:
DaveW

30m rule be damned - a lure in the head wins everytime..........

roosterman
Beginner
Beginner

Post by roosterman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:31 pm

ahh dave if only you could put a wrap on that yellow boat

ledge n
Angler
Angler

Post by ledge n » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 am

very intersting thread.
I am in the process of buying a 2007 Nitro 640 with a 90 EFI merc with low hours on it.
the reason I decided on the Nitro was many, A) i like 4strokes. B) the price was right (very important), C) size / power / weight ratio suit me, specialy when unloading / loading boat by my self. D) storage of boat had to fit in small place at home. E) could my car tow it with ease and F) wife and kids liked the colour :lol:

I also had a look at a new 2007 zx170 skeeter (ex show room display) never been in water 90 yammie, a 2005 ranger and a 2002 triton.

I cant fault any of these other boats I just went with my reaserch results and gut feeling in the long run.

Burnzie, at the end of the day as long as your happy, that is all that matters. dont be swayed by bias opinions. do your own research.
google is a great tool.

I also agree thou Josh from Skeeter does a great job and has a good product,

anyway, cant wait for Malacoota when i unveil my new(2nd hand) Nitro.

Tony

Baden
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Baden » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 pm

I have noticed noone has spoken about the stratos 176xt with 75optimax, or 186xt with 115 optimax, maybe another option?
I have a 176xt, and find the 75hp to be more than worthy in most cases.
Although I fish inland mostly at the moment, I feel the 65kph I get out of it to be enough.
I don't think a 90 on my boat would make much difference as the final drive is the same as the 75 and the (std) prop speed can't go any faster than redline.

Just food for thought, if it doesn't help please disregard.
Cheers
Pround owner of a Stratos 176xt with 75 optimax........3 years of saved overtime.

burnzie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by burnzie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:04 pm

thanks to everyone for there posts, it will all help when its time to buy
cheers Burnzie

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 pm

Burnzie
I am heading down to the tweed for a fish in the next few weeks so if your free and wanna go for a run in a nitro happy to take ya.

Pm or call me if your keen

burnzie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by burnzie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:43 pm

sorry Scott im out of the country till the end of January..
thanks burnzie