Bream Boat Fitout

Ask questions, relay stories, tell us about your boat ...

Moderator: Big_unit

Bream Boat Fitout

Postby adamnewc » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:06 pm

HI, I am currently fitting out a fibreglass boat that I bought for bream/bass fishing. Can I use form ply to construct casting decks etc or do you specifically need marine ply. What is the best solution in regard to sealing the ply before carpeting. Or do I have to fibreglass each panel as I go. I was told theres a 2 pack available but dont know the name. If anyone knows the product that would be great as I dont want to have to rip it all back up after 6 months.
adamnewc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Fly1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:13 am

Hi Adam,

Any licensed boat builder could give you the current rules, but I doubt if much has changed in the area you are working on,

I have built two yachts over the years, the last one sold in 2002, inspected by a marine surveyor without any problems,

The last yacht was 34ft, I was required to use marine ply of a specified thickness for all bulkheads and any other area that was basically supporting the structural integrity of the hull,

That is, all bunks etc could be made from other material,

Sorry for being so "long winded", but if you changed any part of the structural integrity of the boat and did not get it approved, re-sale and insurance etc may leave you liable should an accident occur in the future

If you are unsure, get a professional to glass everything in place, then you just have to clean-up and finish the job,

I would recommend that you use construction ply, usually the same bonding glue, except that marine ply has been tested,

I have always coated my ply with epoxy, (few tricks here!), I have found that it keeps the water out and just spray it with a 2 pack paint,

A thing to remember, epoxy is claimed to be the best sealer around and I still think it is, but it will break down very quickly when exposed to UV so you must have a final coat of a 2 pack paint to protect it,

I use the West system, most expensive, but it always comes out just right,

Re all of the above, as you can see there are some pitfalls , but if you get some advice from the pros in that field, you can do it, or they can do part of the job and give you the good advice to finish

Regards,

Gary
Fly1
Angler
Angler

Bream Boat Fitout

Postby adamnewc » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:00 am

Thanks Gary,

Some great info there to take on board. I dont mind too much of the extra cost of the right materials as long as the job is done properly.

The "West System" that you mentioned. Is that the epoxy and 2 pack?

I guess any boat/yacht shop would supply?

Thanka Again

ADAM
adamnewc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Fly1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 am

Hi Adam,

The West System is a 2 Pack,

You can buy it in 2 containers that have pumps that measure out the exact amount, eg: one pump from the resin and one pump from the hardener gives you the exact mix,

The mix must be spot on when using epoxy,

There are different types of hardener, one for cold weather and one for hot,

There are also gluing modifiers to thicken and make the bond of timber stronger than the timber itself,

If you haven't "played" with this stuff before, may pay to get some advice from a boat or preferably a yacht builder,

Regards,

Gary
Fly1
Angler
Angler

Postby Tony Zann » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:12 pm

If you're hoping to prevent the ply rotting within a year or so, especially after you've glued moisture-retaining carpet to it, your chances are slim unless you apply a moisture-impervious layer in the form of very durable paint or better still, resin (epoxy or polyester) and glass mat or cloth. Don't use polyester flowcoat, which won't stick to ply because of the waxes in the resin.
I know nothing about epoxy but I reckon your best shot is polyester resin and glass - chopped-strand mat for an inexpensive, level flat job or biaxial or triaxial cloth if you're working it over curves where strength-destroying bubbles might form under the glass.
I'd cut out the ply to fit, then glass the underside and as the mix goes off to 'green' (touch-dry but still slightly flexible), trim the overmatter around the edges to the ply shape with a knife. Repeat on the topsides or better still, run the mat or cloth from the hull sides over your new deck to bond both tegether.
Where your deck joins the hull you'll need to grind off the existing gelcoat or flowcoat on your hull back to 'clean' glass to get a good bond.
Tony Zann
Reporters
Reporters

Postby Bungle » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:34 am

I thought maybe I could add a little advice re glassing ply, coming from the composites industry (ie reinforced plastics...). Our works focus more on the mining and manufacturing industries, however some tips are applicable. When glassing ply it is a good idea to prime the timber. This involves firstly a light sanding to break the fibres of the timber, doing this provides a better key for the resin (soaks into the timber), make sure you remove all dust from the surface before moving on to the next step. OK now your ready to paint on a 'light' (as in not flood) coat of resin which has been thinned with acetone, about five percent will do. This thinning of the resin, combined with the light sand, will allow it to penetrate into the timber fibres for a strong durable bond. Dont worry about the resins structure being compromised by the acetone, at this level the acetone will quickly evaporate out of the mix. OK once the resin has tacked off your ready to galss or kevlar or carbon fibre your lil heart out.

Good luck with your project, ......have a problem with the glassing part just ask.....

Oh yeah, dont piss about, use marine grade ply.....
cheers
The Bungle

Bait......yep!
Beer.....yep!
Bungs...sh!%!
Bungle
Beginner
Beginner

Postby pilchardjones » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:29 pm

hi adam,
i have been doing a similar project boat for a couple of years. my recommendation is to use 15mm structural or CD ply, glassed over with a couple of layers of 600gm matting / polyester resin.
when all the glassing is done, flowcoat the top surface to make it waterproof prior to carpeting. anyway thats what i have done.
hope this helps. i will see if i can post a photo.
steve
pilchardjones

Postby miked » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Nice job Steve, can you tell me what hull you started with?
Mike
miked
Angler
Angler

Nice job

Postby Farrie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:59 pm

Mate it looks very nice and you have a nice layout ,
keep sending pics as it comes together ,others doing the same thing will
appreciate the work that you have done good luck and it looks great so far.
Farrie
Angler
Angler

Postby adamnewc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:49 am

Thanks all for the great info and Cheers Steve for the great photos of your boat. Looks awesome..

Will definately be using marine ply and all the tips for the fibreglassing.

ADAM
adamnewc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby pilchardjones » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:09 pm

thanks guys,
the hull started as a haines 445R.
it is just back from painting now.
steve

pilchardjones

Postby adamnewc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for the updated Pics Steve. The boat is looking great. My hull is basically the same. So its good to see there's light at the end of the tunnel.

What Motor / size are you looking to stick on the back. Im going through the whole 2 stroke v 4 stroke debate now.
adamnewc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby pilchardjones » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:35 pm

adam,
i have a 2nd hand 90 yamaha 2 str for it sitting on a jacking plate.
i personally think the 60 yammie 4 str would be the best motor, but i will have to trade up to that one day.
steve
pilchardjones

Postby snappyone » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:32 pm

Great job pilchardjones
I have just started my boat this week it a cruise craft i hope it turns out as good as yours. Will post same pic next week
snappyone

Return to General Boating Discussion