On Board Battery Chargers and Battery Locations

Ask questions, relay stories, tell us about your boat ...

Moderator: Big_unit

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

On Board Battery Chargers and Battery Locations

Post by Bill Jones » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi all.
Wanting to pick your brains. Just bought myself a Minn Kota on board charger and wondering what your thoughts on the best place to mount it. Boat is a 445 Hornet Balance boat and I have one deep cycle battery up under the front hatch just behind the anchor well. Will be putting another battery soon as I have a 24v motor on order. Is it best to move the batteries further back as well?
Thanks
Bill
Proudly sponsored by my own wallet lol

Shannon Watson
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Shannon Watson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi Bill,

I have just bought one of the bigger 2 x 10 amp minn kota chargers for my (correction - my wifes :wink: ) Skeeter. I had a Quintrex previously and think that in your case it will be a matter of experimenting with the weight distribution. I have generally found that when under electric power with an angler on the front deck the hornets go nose down, add two deep cycle batteries, charger etc to this and you may have to re think positioning. I would'nt be inclined to go all the way to the back of the boat, but maybe you could look at building a step up to the front deck which holds a battery either side and the charger in the middle. I think the key would be to get the weight back from the flared Hornet bow section and back to the planing area towards mid/transom area of the boat.

I would also suggest keeping the charger up above the water line in case you get water intrusion from rough/wet weather or leaving the bung out
(Something I havent done personally :oops: :wink: )

I have also mounted my charger on a nylon chopping board (so that there is not a metal on metal contact point), and then onto the desired area. In addition to this I have made sure that it has plenty of air flow for cooling the heat sinks and is in an easy to access position.

Hope this helps.

basserman
Angler
Angler

Post by basserman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:57 pm

is a new hronet with the lined hatches???

my 435 has my 110amp/h mounted in the first hatch in the platform just off center with the charger mounted to the port side of the hatch
all off the bottom all safe but if you going dule that will change things again
Fishing Anywhere Anytime

PJ
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: On Board Battery Chargers and Battery Locations

Post by PJ » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Bill Jones wrote:Hi all.
Is it best to move the batteries further back as well?
Why bother Billyboy.....you'll be in a Skeeter soon and then it don't matter where the batteries go :D :D
PJ

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Re: On Board Battery Chargers and Battery Locations

Post by Bill Jones » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:53 pm

PJ wrote:
Bill Jones wrote:Hi all.
Is it best to move the batteries further back as well?
Why bother Billyboy.....you'll be in a Skeeter soon and then it don't matter where the batteries go :D :D
PJ
If I could get a Skeeter in the garage, then there possible would be one in there.
Ended up mounting the charger on a block of timber then mounting the block of timber on a bulk head just behind the anchor well. In with the 2 batteries.
Shannon, I was thinking about the weight side of things as well, with the livewell pickups at the stern, they sometimes do come out of the water and suck air. May move the batteries back and make a step as you said, which I had already considered. Plus moreroom to carry more crap up the front them. You can never cary too much crap so I've found. LOL
Thanks all.
Just waiting on BLA to get the 80lb Terrova's in which I ordered 6 weeks ago. Still waiting!!!!!!!!
Billyboy
Proudly sponsored by my own wallet lol

strewth
Angler
Angler

Post by strewth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:10 pm

I have a 445 and mounted the onboard charger under the console. Can see the lights easily and keeps it cool (important for longevity).

Two batteries up front may cause porpoising with a 445, as they are prone to this. I needed to shift the livewell intakes as close to the centreline as I could on the back to try and stop them sucking air (think this is now standard on the latest models).

Strewth