question about stainless props

Ask questions, relay stories, tell us about your boat ...

Moderator: Big_unit

robbo999
Angler
Angler

question about stainless props

Post by robbo999 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 pm

hi all,
i'm looking at getting a stainless prop for my stacer bass elite 4 mtr.I have a yamaha 40 3cyl 2 stroke. was just wondering if any one has any suggestions for what size and pitch. any info would be much appreciated.
cheers
robbo

chick_magnet_0001
Angler
Angler

Post by chick_magnet_0001 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 pm

hey mate ive also got the same motor hanging off a 4.2 mangrove jack mines topping out at around 5200rpm at full tilt with 2 up 53kmh with the stock standard prop yamaha gives ya. since some recent prop polishing on some rocks ive had to file the prop back a lil to give it a curve again, soo im also looking for a responce to this post btw what rpm's you looking at when at WOT

aussiebasser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Guys,

With outfits like your's, it's very difficult to predict the required prop pitch. Little things like placement of batteries and number of batteries can make a huge difference. To get the best performance, you need to trial different props to find one that works. Most reputable prop suppliers will let you try different pitch propsal.

I've had a couple of Hornets, and did a bit of experimenting with props on both of them. My 420 with a 30HP 3 cyl Yammy ran best with a 10p Stainless Solas prop. My 435 with 50 EFI Merc ran very quickly in the Tweed with a 14p S/S Vengeance prop, but when I got it to Somerset it wouldn't get onto the plane. I ran a mixture of 12p small blade super cup and 11p large blade depending on the load and area fishing.
Dale

Proud to be associated with Red Wine!!
Hmmmmmmm, Red Wine.

Red Wine sponsor urgently required.
Interested Wineries (Preferably Brown Brothers) please call 1800 BASSER

Duffy1
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Duffy1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Robbo
I own a Stacer bass elite 400 with a tweeked 3 cylinder 40hp Merc. I got onto Solas and got a New Saturn 13 pitch Stainless prop which I got recupped to a 14 pitch which they did for free as part of there customer satisfaction service. It is a top bit of gear. When I had my boat set up as tiller steer I got 62kph on my GPS at 5800 rpm trimmed out. I have done a lot of mod's to it now (Extended front casting deck, side console, flow rite system etc.) which nocked a bit of pace of it. Fully loaded livewell, 40ltrs of fuel and my fishing partner with his gear it will still pull 56kph. The one thing I noticed with the prop is the ability to handle loads better than the standard prop. I smashed the prop up really bad last year at Port Macquarie. Curled blades backwards and took chunks out of it plus bending the propshaft. I sent it up to Solas and they repaired it for $100. I got it back and was blown away. It looked brand new. Fully mirror polished and no sign of the damage that I did to it.
If you give the boys a ring at Solas Propeller Warehouse they will help you out. It only takes 1 to 2 days to get one to you. There service is excellent.
Hope this helps.
Duffy

Bungle
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Bungle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Sounds like some one finally got their hands on the boat. How long did it take for delivery in the end Mr magnet?
chick_magnet_0001 wrote: since some recent prop polishing on some rocks ive had to file the prop back a lil to give it a curve again, soo im also looking for a responce to this post btw what rpm's you looking at when at WOT
Had an oops huh, no matter it happens to every one eventually no matter how careful..........
cheers
The Bungle

Bait......yep!
Beer.....yep!
Bungs...sh!%!

chick_magnet_0001
Angler
Angler

Post by chick_magnet_0001 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:07 am

hahahah yep was out recently with all this fresh the water was a bit dirty( yep blame the water) sounder said 2.4m just about to get onto the plane and yep a coral bommie oh and the wait, think it was 8 weeks