Lee's Lures

Qld's lure history starts in the estuaries, mostly cast than trolled. Made tough for tough fish, from pioneer Eric Moller to innovative Alan Dolan, check out Qld's history in lure making.

Moderator: Tagged

TonyM
Angler
Angler

Lee's Lures

Post by TonyM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Not 100% sure these are from Queensland, would love to hear if anyone knows.

I'd have to say the small one of these 2 is my all time favourite popper for Barra, have had some awesome sessions with it! Wish I could get some more!

These normally have a round sticker underneath with "Lee's Lures" written on it, if you look closely you can just make it out in the third picture (Barra rash has made it hard to read)

Cheers,
Tony

Tagged

Re: Lee's Lures

Post by Tagged » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 pm

This is a stab in the dark, but could it be Dave Killalea ? The paint looks like his.
Tagged and Released

TonyM
Angler
Angler

Post by TonyM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Tagged wrote:This is a stab in the dark, but could it be Dave Killalea ? The paint looks like his.
You think Dave Killalea might possibly have been the maker of Lee's lures?

I see what you mean about the paint, the eyes are similar to his too... Wonder if there's a way of asking?
Cheers,
Tony

TonyM
Angler
Angler

Post by TonyM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Was just doing a bit of googling and found reference to a Killure "cone" Popper that apparently has similarity to an ice cream cone

Looks very similar to the Lee's ones, although the edge on the "lip" seems sharper on the Killalure than the Lee's - the plot thickens....

Best image I could find of the Killalure one

and the Lee's again

hmmm it could even be the other way around and the Lee's could have been inspiration for Dave Killalea... (just an idea)
Cheers,
Tony

Tagged

Post by Tagged » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 pm

It could have been in the time after he sold Killalures and before he started DK Lures.
It was only a guess, but it looks like it landed close to the mark. Very interesting bit of research there Tony.
Tagged and Released

TonyM
Angler
Angler

Post by TonyM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Tagged wrote:It could have been in the time after he sold Killalures and before he started DK Lures.
It was only a guess, but it looks like it landed close to the mark. Very interesting bit of research there Tony.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it - hopefully this will help solve the puzzle!
Cheers,
Tony