ABT membership

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BREAM fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

mango
Angler
Angler

ABT membership

Post by mango » Wed May 12, 2010 7:03 pm

I was amazed of the amount of outstanding un-financial members that ABT have on their books. Even if half re-join it's a lot of money oweing, lets face it they run a business and business's need cash flow. I was amazed to see that anglers who took home some bootie at the recent Hawkesbury bream comp are still un-financial. I was just wondering if an angler takes a place at a comp and is un-financial would that fall into the catergory of a BREACH of ABT rules and warrant appropiate action being taken? I was not happy to see my name there but reversed it straight away, if ABT wants my money back just call me.

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Re: ABT membership

Post by UdlMan » Wed May 12, 2010 7:24 pm

I noticed that too. I thought that you had to be financial to enter. Maybe a visual sighting of your membership card at the briefing. No card no fish.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:09 pm

I have to agree with mango on this one.
I have noticed after the taree round there were a number of people who fished the tournament and people who won money who were on that membership list .
Please advise me if I am wrong but abt can not accept a entry if your not a current member let alone fish a tournament .
In my case that's a break of rules am I right?

Tagged

Post by Tagged » Thu May 13, 2010 6:17 am

I haven't fished any comps this year, But I fished all four last year and made the GF, I didn't get a renewal package. I asked the only other member from ABT in my home town and he didn't get one either.
Tagged and Released

karen
Angler
Angler

Post by karen » Thu May 13, 2010 6:49 am

I don't know about everyone else but I was asked to show my 2010 membership card at the Hawkesbury round breifing,

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 am

It's pretty simple isn't it..
If you expect to be able to fish an ABT comp , pay your membership !!

I wouldn't blame ABT at all if they pushed the issue and said that only financial members can fish.
I still hate Flathead

ledge n
Angler
Angler

Post by ledge n » Thu May 13, 2010 8:53 am

quote from ABT rule No1
Pre Entry Requirements
• All anglers participating in BREAM events must be current, financial members of ABT.
Membership or rule enquiries to ABT on (07) 3387 0888 during business hours.

I was asked to show my membership card. was every one else asked????

what if I had no fishing licence, could I fish? I doubt it.

Ledge n

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am

People usually miss the renewal notice - it's on the reverse of the flysheet of the Tournament Angler Guide each year. All memberships expire on the 1st February each year.

They usually are so keen to see the articles inside it gets pushed to the side.

Around this time of year, we re-mail the forms to everyone that may have missed renewal - they'll appear in letter boxes next week. Over half of renewals have been done by this time and it minimises costs of chasing them.

We appreciate everyone's concern, but rest assured, we catch up with them all throughout the year.

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:07 am

Steve,

Its all well and good that ABT is taken thing further to get people to pay there membership.
But the thing is if most people pay there membership at the start of year that makes us allowed to fish ABT Events over the year.
ABT has always said they can no accecpt entry fee unless your a member and it stats in the Rules that you can not fish a ABT event unless your a member.

Now if you run your eyes over the membership list and the people who have fished a ABT event since Feb there is a number of people who were not allowed to fish a tournament.

I am not wanted to carry on about this but I feel alittle bit cheated by ABT were the rules say something on your web site and the list is there for everyone to see but ABT try to dodge a bullet saying its not a problem .
I am not saying in anyway that the Anglers are cheating but the rules are rules.

Fact , My partner for the Classic grand final entry was not accepted until he paid his ABT membership whats the differnce?

mango
Angler
Angler

Post by mango » Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

ABT, I think your missing the point here. As you can see there are a numbers of anglers that feel cheated by the fact that un-financial anglers are fishing your comps, I will admitt that I was one of them untill notified but I put my hand in my pocket and paid asap. What if an angler missed paying his membership from the start of the year, fished a comp and won money at what-ever amount and didn't fish another comp, is that fair on the other anglers and ABT that he took the cash or prizes without his membership in order and don't say that he will not be able to fish the GF as that may not intrest him. It says in the rules about the membership issue and what should be done if someone does not comply with the rules, well will we go on, all I can suggest that in the future if you know any angler that is un-financial and fishing an ABT event and you happen to be from QLD lodge your complaint within 24hrs and they should be DQ......oh thats if we want to play by the RULES.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Mango,

If you feel so strongly about it, please take the moral high-ground and decline your Grand FInal Qualification from when you were a non-financial member.

For the record, we are happy for the Qual. to stand, knowing that we'll get it sorted out in due course. That's why we published the list on the BBs in the first place - as a reminder to all to get it sorted out before we do a mail out.

Scott,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still owe ABT for a tournament shirt delivered in good faith about a year ago. Let's get that sorted out first before we start worrying about others!

Likewise, we're happy for your results to stand with the monies owing.

Appreciate the feedback - we'll be tougher on the sign-in at briefings from now forwards.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

mango
Angler
Angler

Post by mango » Thu May 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Steve, i'm not a lone soldier here, if I qualify again I will be happy not accept my first one :lol: :lol: :lol: but thanks for your support on this matter I was only trying to help ABT here and again you shoot me down, BTW did I tell you I will be glad when you break your typing fingers :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Steve,

Im my reply from before I did not blame other anglers.
The reason why people arent happy for that this is a ABT Rule and not any Rule the Number one rule on the ABT system .

I just find it strange that ABT have set rules and this one has clearly been broken then staight away ABT has played down the whole thing down.

But once again what ever the normal Angler says does not have a impact.

Cya all at the goldie on sunday

:P

Mick
Angler
Angler

Post by Mick » Fri May 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Steve,

In 2002 (from memory) I fished an Abt round on the shoalhaven, I've recently received information that every one who beat me, which I think was the entire field were not financial members at the time. As such could you please forward me the winners prize, which I think was $50 and a packet of sliders. Your assistance in this concerning matter is greatly appreciated.

PS. Dont forget the sliders. 8)

mango
Angler
Angler

Post by mango » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Steve in relation to your comments, I will 'take the moral high ground' and decline my GF qual earned when I was an unfinancial member of ABT as long as you take the "moral high ground' and DQ all other anglers quals for the GF that at the time of each event were also unfinancial. This will have to apply in both bream and bass events as the No 1 rule listed in the 2010 rules for both species reads the same. If your organisation is serious about enforcing rules as they have in recent times this would be the correct action to be taken. There must be a number of anglers that feel cheated that they fell short of a GF qual knowing that they were beaten in these circumstances. Could ABT also explain the paragraph within the current rules that states that events are to be contested by EQUAL NUMBERS of anglers Boaters as Pro's and so on, and the other rule that states anglers are to stay TOGEATHER at all times to validate catches and ensure each others safety. How can this happen with so many spares at events. I'm sure you are aware of the rules, you wrote them. In recent times ABT has shown that they are happy to act on various rules, the ones that affect others and not the ones that affect themselves. Steven your a known wizz with stats, have you sat down and compiled running sheets of the results of the events if they had been run within the rules. Would be interesting and you never know just might upset a few anglers that followed the correct procedure and paid their membership prior to the commencement of the first event, as you know I was not one of them, just one of dozens and dozens and did I say dozens. Under your logo it states that FM Group welcomes the imput from the wider public....please have your say....well thankyou for the opportunity, I just did.

dyno355
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dyno355 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Mango, Great post that surely echos the sentiments of the many anglers that did the right thing and paid up. This is just another of many instances where ABT pick and choose which rules to enforce as they please. :|

Good on you for "taking the moral high ground" and offering to forfeit your g/f invite.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Mango,

Thanks for your input. That must have been a hard-thought four days you've just spent thinking up that reply.

You should have also read the entry form that you fill in before each event.

It says, "ABT has the right to exercise discretion in accordance to the rules."

We use common sense with the rules to get anglers out on the water and fishing. If that means some people get a random spare seat, then we're prepared to do that. If it means that we catch up to anglers after the event to square up their membership, then we're obviously prepared to do that, as well.

Fishing rules - as everyone knows - are very tightly enforced.

Apologies, but I'm not going to go back and retro-analyze results to see what's happen if we didn't use common sense.

Remember, also, that the list published can contain errors and omissions. Some anglers on that list were offered a membership credit for services given during AFC - they may have driven a cameraboat or volunteered their time for a day to help out. We've applied some of those who were awarded them subsequent to the posting of the list.

For instance, when we did a AFTA Trade Show Pro-Am on the Tweed, once, all boaters got a free year membership for their time. You may not have taken some of these things into account in your calculations, because you'd know nothing of them.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Tue May 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Matt,

If you read Mango's response, he actually offers to forefiet everyone's Qualification spot who's in the same situation as he was.

Make up your own mind how altruistic that is.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

dyno355
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dyno355 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Steve Morgan wrote:Matt,

If you read Mango's response, he actually offers to forefiet everyone's Qualification spot who's in the same situation as he was.

Make up your own mind how altruistic that is.

Cheers,

SM
Smoke and mirrors. There's only 2 reasons for owning a business, To make money or avoid taxes. I'm pretty sure ABT is the former.

I think Mango's offer is the right thing to do, I would do the same in his position regardless of whether or not you were going to enforce the rule on others.

And to save anyone else having to get the dictionary out,

al·tru·is·tic
–adjective
unselfishly concerned for or devoted to the welfare of others ( opposed to egoistic).
Animal Behavior . of or pertaining to behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind, often its close relatives.

dizzzy
Angler
Angler

Post by dizzzy » Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm

what is the official decision from ABT on this issue?
or do all anglers have to stand together as one to force a decision?
an official response from ABT would solve the problem and stop all the mud throwing!
rules are rules and should be enforced at all times not left to discretion otherwise it creates uncertainty and could lead to favoritism weather real or perceived.
an official response from ABT would remove any sense that this is a personal attack on either party's account.
the issue is why did ABT allow non-financial members to fish tournament from the 1st of Feb to the 9th of May 2010, when the rules state that you must be a financial member to enter a tournament?
a full and detailed explanation would satisfy the angling community.
a speedy resolution is in the best interests of all party and most of all the sport.

Thanks

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Hey all,

As we all have gathered by now ABT have made the choice not to take futher action on this topic.
I think there have been some strong replys about this topic but ABT have stuck to the guns and now we just have to is go on fishing.
I do have to say tho the way our posts were replyed was pretty poor, ABT is trying to make the sport more professional but the way some peoples posts were replyed was pretty unprofessional.
Take in to consideration that people who had concern with this rule fish almost ever tounament on the calender and people who poor alote of money into this sport and people who work for a company who surport ABT.
I know for a fact on Sunday at the goldie comp people were talking about this topic and said the same thing .
I think next time there is a topic like this abt should address this in a more professional manner not taking shots at people Who strongly surport tounament fishing in a forum .
My two cents :shock:

mango
Angler
Angler

Post by mango » Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Thats where you are wrong again Steve, I am aware what is written on the side of the entry form. The issue to be raised once more is that point, when ABT decides to run their events in accordance to the rules then they may exercise discretion. The horse normally goes before the cart!
Last edited by mango on Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will Lee
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Will Lee » Wed May 19, 2010 8:03 am

Can someone please pass Mango a tissue! Has the GFC got you down big guy? :lol:

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 am

Oh my god I can’t believe this dam thread is still going.

Here’s the short and facts on it.

* ABT has limited resources ($$, staff and time) chasing outstanding m’ship monies is something that gets less priority than things like, processing entries, setting up tents, getting event permits, driving 12 hours to a tournament and generally doing the things that allow you guys to fish.

* ABT M’ship is an income stream for ABT and m’ships that aren’t paid is money that we don’t have to pay bills and run tournaments. If you don’t pay ABT, and of course you, miss out.

In saying all this (and make sure you think about the forgiving attitude we’ve used in the past) if you want us to make an issue out of this and follow all the rules to the letter of the law the anglers will come out of it worse of all. I don’t want to run tight fisted tournaments where I breach every individual that doesn't follow every rule to the letter.

I’m disappointed that I’ve had to resort to replying to a thread where I thought (more likely hoped) more common sense and a grasp for the reality of running events would have been shown.

Now can we let it rest, we've got work to do and i'm sure you've got tournaments to get ready for and fishing to do.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

Buz
Angler
Angler

Post by Buz » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 am

Hey Guys,

I have been made aware of other circumstances relating to this topic that I was unaware of. It appears that it is more complicated than just membership fees and in consideration of those circumstances I withdraw my original uninformed post.

Best Regards

Buz
Last edited by Buz on Wed May 19, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.