Feedback on the Tweed Experiment

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BREAM fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Britto
Angler
Angler

Feedback on the Tweed Experiment

Post by Britto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:01 pm

After initially favouring retaining fork length, I was turned around on the week-end. The change in measurement length and method(which effectively maintained fork length at 23cm – although I had 1 fish under 23cm that still achieved 26cm overall) definitely had a big impact on the number of fish weighed in. What was a tough week-end would have been turned into a nightmare for many if you had the fork length at say 24 cm. The numbers definitely would have dropped away.

From the perspective of growing the sport, I think if you can settle on a benchmark that maximises the number of fish weighed, this can only be a good thing – for the average punter to keep going in the sport, we need them weighing fish, because the outlays/investment become hard to justify with a string of donuts or low numbers – more fish weighed should incentivise the punters and new to sport to either keep going or develop further into the stalwarts of the future.

Thumbs up on the idea, and I would consider adopting across the board, with the measurement set at 1cm above legal length.

Cheers

Britto

nabs12
Angler
Angler

Re: Feedback on the Tweed Experiment

Post by nabs12 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:12 pm

I also like the new measuring system. I initially thought the fork length way would be better, but I guess thats just because its what I was used to.

Having the bags disqualified if the fish are under 25cm is also a great idea. Im sure there were a lot of people double checking their fish.

I had 1 fish each day that were a bit over the 26cm mark and found that when I measured one of my day 1 fish with Mick Torley it just made the 26 mark and when Simon measured it it went about 26.5cm. Either Micks been modifying his rulers to avoid Marcels ruler wrath, or im liking the ABT ruler :lol:

Definitely a thumbs up for me with the new system!

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Gotta agree with Chris, I didn't hear any concerns with the new system on the weekend and would also like to see all comps adopt the tip measure plus 1 cm of state limit.
I still hate Flathead

Will Lee
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Will Lee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I agree with Chris 100% on the matter. I'd like to see this system adopted in all bream events! More fish = More happy anglers and happy anglers come back to fish tournaments time and time again.

Will Lee

Tea Bag
Angler
Angler

Post by Tea Bag » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:16 pm

It sounds like the Tweed experiment very well and I too think that this will produce many more happy anglers that are wieghing in fish and they will be more likely to return for another comp. All good for the future of our sport I believe. 8) 8) 8)
Andrew Mostert.
Proudly Suported by.
Fishtales Bait & Tackle Pakenham Victoria.
Hornet Custom Rods. Rapala.

ledge n
Angler
Angler

Post by ledge n » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

count me in, liked the concept.
also liked how Simon checked fish prior to going on stage. saved the wrath of Marcel :lol: . and save an on stage knock back,

keep up the new initatives.

Tony

Finno
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Finno » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Have always favored fork measurements but all in all the Tweed experiment was pretty good. As britto did i also got one under 23 fork but also had one fish that did have its tail chewed and was under size, it was a small fish and proberly would not have made it anyway but the tail was affected. Would like to know what Simon thoughts are after measuresing all those small fish!!!!!

Would have to be a thumbs up from me too.

Duffy1
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Duffy1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Fishing the Tweed as a non boater I found the pinched tail measuring system to be quite easy and fast to do on the fish that I did manage to catch. It was suprising to see some borderline 23cm fork bream easly clear the 26cm to the tip minimum length that would have been in some cases a definate throw back.
Originaly I was all for the fork length to stay and even said to move it up to 24cm to the fork as well. With the Tweed having another tough bite, this system did reduce the amount of donuts that in the other cases would have littered the score board.
It has changed my way of thinking for measuring bream and for our local catch and release club I believe it could be something for us to discuss and look at in the not to distant future.

On another note I would like to thank Browny and Dizzy for their help on sunday at the Tweed when our boats battery died, (won't mention who's) 3k's from home. Seeing other ABT members sacrifice fishing time to help others in trouble made me proud to be associated with them. Cheers boys.

Duffy

mick horn

Post by mick horn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:01 am

Yeah i thought the measuring system was easy to understand and measusre and it also gives you confidence when you put a couple in the well on tough systems like the tweed ,well thats until you have a barry crocker and chuck them over the side before weighing them "what a dinger"
Also as duffy said a huge thanks to dizzy and browny for towing me back and sacrificing fishing time as they stopped to help so very greatful for that boys that was awesome
As well thanks to duffy and finney for hanging around to help at the ramp cheers boys
Mick Horn

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 am

From an organisers point of view the 26cm tip-length was easy to use, and resulted in more anglers weighing fish. Happy customers that are weighing fish is a good thing.

From a measurement point of view a just legal 26cm tip-length fish measured about 23 1/4 cm fork length. So as you can see if we used a 25cm fork length measurement there would have been plenty of fish that didn't make the cut.

Will we use it at the other QLD events, more than likely. We'll keep you posted.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:24 am

Also, I've always said that it wouldn't change the winning result, and it didn't. All the fish I weighed in were between 25 and 29 fork length, so my bags would have been the same 23 FL, 25 FL or 26TL.

Cheers,

SM

PS ... In case you didn't understand Hick Horne's post, he managed to drop two of his three fish overboard when swapping boats to get to the weigh-in. Then he chucked his third away in disgust. Only cost him about a grand!!
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889