$200 fee for 2011

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BREAM fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

stompy
Angler
Angler

$200 fee for 2011

Post by stompy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey,

Just curious about the price jump in 2011? I remember a lot of discussion prior to the begining of 2010 and the feedback was to keep the fees about the same and introduce a Pro pool.

Cheers,

Scalywag
Beginner
Beginner

Re: $200 fee for 2011

Post by Scalywag » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I live in QLD and bought a tourny boat this year I was really looking forward to getting into the boater division, but with only 3 comps close to home (Bribie, GC and Clarence), and two of these being super series events, I don't think there's as much appeal as there once was. I'm just not sure if I can justify $400 for the super series events. As a new angler to the sport, there doesn't seem to be as much incentive to get involved.

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:35 am

Rego, Petrol (also diesel in benny's case), insurance, accomodation etc all go up each year, eventually comp fees have to go up. A $70 increase for a superseries for 2 or hopefully 3 days of fishing sound reasonable(I have not made the 3rd day yet). If the abt keep the entry fees the same while their costs go up it wont be sustainable.

Chris H
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53 am

Gasp, choke choke choke! Thats some very weird justification you got there Chris?????. Prize money has gone down, entry fees have gone up, that's some Irish math in anyones book. Unless you are totally ignorant or just plain stupid, it is clear the majority of profits made by ABT for all events would come from sponsorship resources. Why are the people who are the true promoters of these events getting charged more? Maybe it's a case of weeding out the small guys, so we only have big sponsored anglers in 120kph+ boats, dressed up like sign boards, telling lies about what actual lures there using, or is it that I'm missing the big picture here.

If you speak to anyone who has been doing these events long enough, you realise that there isn't a profit in doing these events for anyone but the communities the events are held in, lure/tackle companies and ABT. I think as anglers we all understand that, so why place extra pressure on the anglers making the sport what it is. I have always had a great time at all the events and have met some wonderful, life long friends over the years, thats why I keep coming back. It's going to be hard to justify to my wife a extra $400 fee on top of everything else to go out fishing for a few days. We aren't fishing in that states for 50K boats each event.

Wake Up!
Drew McGrath

adamward
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adamward » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm wondering why superseries entries keep going up. Last year there was an increase but prizemoney basically stayed the same as normal qualifing rounds. What happened to the old $10000 prize cheque. Are they really worth it with an extra day off work required plus another day if you have to travel. Even with some awesome support from sponsors these events may become a bit out of reach. Don't know how the average guy does it but good luck to them.

AW.
adamward

buddro

Post by buddro » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 pm

yes its getting pretty hard to fish these comps these days with all the price hikes ... will the prize money go up ??????? take a look at the bets comp entry fee went up $10 .. but prize money stayed the same last round they had 79 boats x $250 thats $19,750 and they payed back just over $9000 dollars so that over $ 10.000 profit in 1 day and over six rounds you do the maths were is all the rest of the money going ???????????
Last edited by buddro on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fire blood
Angler
Angler

Post by fire blood » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm

chrisfish wrote:Rego, Petrol (also diesel in benny's case), insurance, accomodation etc all go up each year, eventually comp fees have to go up. A $70 increase for a superseries for 2 or hopefully 3 days of fishing sound reasonable(I have not made the 3rd day yet). If the abt keep the entry fees the same while their costs go up it wont be sustainable.

Chris H
Yeah your right things do go up, fact of life, but not that much and not that fast. Some of you blokes must be on some pretty good coin by the sounds of it.
i do ok but i too have to justify an extra $70 for a super series and another $80 bucks for a qualifier, 400 for a SS? id rather go away for a weekend up the coast with the family.

Has this price rise come to increase prize cheques or will it go to a larger GF prize cheque? i know some people had a sook about the GF prize and if it is due to that serves your selves right its a shame the little bloke has to suffer for it.
Dan Walter

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm confused, 5 years ago the prize was a 40K boat for 1st prize and the fees were a lot less so it couldn't be for that could it?

fishie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fishie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:19 pm

i agrre with you drewey! if the entry fees are going up, then one would assume ( hope ) the payouts will be increased or at least pay further down the entry list.
if you work on a 40 boat field thats 20k for boaters and non boaters just in nomination fees for a super series.im hoping that these increases would be handed down to the peoplewho make the sport what it is, THE ANGLERS. just my 2 cents worth! matt

Finno
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Finno » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Have to agree the jump in entry fees are alot makes you really think if its worth it after all the other expenses. Would be good if Steve or someone from abt could give us a project pay out figure on a full field of 30 and a full field of 50.I do belive that we should have some idea of whats going on before the new season begins.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Guys,

You're all very quick to shoot from the hip without the full story. My apologies for this - our mistake by not getting that information up at the same time as the entry forms.

Of course the extra entry fees roll straight into increased payouts. I'll get Simon to post some modeling spreadsheets, but we are working on 100% for Australian Open, 90% for Super Series and 80% for regular qualifiers. All product prizes are in addition to this. The BREAM Grand will again feature a boat, with a Basscat/Mercury package for the top boater. This is in addition to the Skeeter/Evinrude package that we'll give to the Classic GF winner.

Anyone notice that non boater fees are down? Any boaters realize that because the non boater's fees are included in the prize pool that they've actually been getting a payback of better than 100% on their investment for years and years?

We've also been busy with the Sponsor Bonus deals - there's a trip to Japan, the Skeeter Trip of a Lifetime for the BASS guys and a new Mercury Cup paying extra money to BREAMers. Skeeter owners are fishing for extra cash again this year - up to $4000 extra is winnable by a Skeeter owner in 2011.

For all if the conspiracy theorists out there, it wouldn't matter to ABT financially is the fee/prize structure was this year's, last year's or a deal where we all paid only $50 and fished just for prizes. ABT spends every cent it earns on running events for its members. And apart from a small adjustment when ownership changed nearly a decade ago, not a cent of profit has ever been taken from it.

Let me track down Simon to get you some of this information - we were to release it on Tuesday, but I'll try for earlier.

Cheers,

Steve Morgan.
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

DaveW
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by DaveW » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:03 pm

After a fairly lengthy and amicable conversation with Steve Morgan today there is plenty more to it than initially meets the eye as partially explained above.

In hindsight, I believe the announcement (or lack thereof) of the price increases was premature, and a full explanation of the reasonings should have been offered before release.

There are some fairly impressive things planned in the ABT world next year and while I still believe the price rises will deter some of the average fisho's or guys new to the sport, once everything is announced it comes down to the individual as to whether they want to participate.

My suggestion is to fully assess all aspects of the series and see if it is right for you once all information is available.
DaveW

30m rule be damned - a lure in the head wins everytime..........

Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 pm

I think the point has been completely missed. The prizes is all very nice but the events are now out of reach of most people and the changes and prizes if they happen are simply to smooth over the fuss now. Seems the same every year lots of crap and abt say no its all good and everyone folds. I no I am angry at the moment but I now can't do something I had hoped to do. I hope my pleas to the other organisers to do boater/non boater comps don''t fall on deaf ears.

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm

drew , basically i was saying most costs involved with fishing a comp have gone up and costs involved with running a comp go up as well. Wow , you seem to have read alot into that . chris h
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

flickchick
Angler
Angler

Post by flickchick » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Great news! But a shame and very poor marketing that this information didn't all come out in one hit. I applaud innovation and better returns for anglers good for you ABT ! I like the idea of cheaper fees for non boaters well done again! But I believe the increase will likely make the sport prohibitive for the anglers who would be new to the boater category ie most likely less chance of winning the prizes. What incentive is there for them. We have just invested money in a boat etc getting Trace ready to test this category out and have the chance to develop but the close events she was hoping to compete in GC and Clarence both super series will now likely be out of our reach. Just think this may inhibit the development of some of the new anglers especially when all their local comps are super series events.
Fishing: Where Sport meets Science meets Art meets Zen

Tea Bag
Angler
Angler

Post by Tea Bag » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Steve,
While Simon is doing those spread sheets can he do one on howmany Individual people fish ABT events and how many of those recieved any prize mony lays year, in other words what percentage of the field that fished in comps nationally took home any prize money. It would be a very interesting stat I think.
Andrew Mostert.
Proudly Suported by.
Fishtales Bait & Tackle Pakenham Victoria.
Hornet Custom Rods. Rapala.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Andrew,

Don't need a spreadsheet for that. ABT always pays one in five - for example 10 cheques in a 50-boat field. And we aim for double-the-entry-fee for the last cheque - not always attainable depending on the number of non-boaters.

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Hay mate it wasn't a direct attack on you, if it came across that way I sincerely apologise.
My confusion comes to the ratio involved in the total tournament prize pool vs entry fee and the increased cost in entering. For example if I charged 21.21% more to my client base this year than I did last year and they received less for it I would run out of clients in no time. As anglers are we clients, members, or what are we classed as with our relationship with ABT? I was always under the impression we were clients, but ABT isn't making any profit from running the tournaments my assumption is incorrect.
chrisfish wrote:drew , basically i was saying most costs involved with fishing a comp have gone up and costs involved with running a comp go up as well. Wow , you seem to have read alot into that . chris h

Merry Christmas
Drew McGrath

Ranger
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ranger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Well, I guess I may as well have my say!

ABT first came to my home state (SA) in 2004. Prior to this tournament fishing was pretty much unheard of around these parts.

At the time, and going on memory only I believe we had a field of about 18-21 boats (or thereabouts), and the best boat the field could scrape together was a little Hornet Trophy. Local fishermen who had never before contemplated or heard of tournament fishing also began kitting whatever boat they had with leccy motors, improvised livewells and we looked a bit of a ragtag bunch with ill suited boats.

After this 2004 event a group of local anglers began pushing the tournament barrow, interest grew, new boats were purchased, and a small but dedicated group of SA Bream anglers came to life.

We have done our best to actively promote this sport, and have been there since the beginning. We have encouraged other anglers, taken anglers out on our boats, even organised "Come and Try" days, attempting to generate tournament interest in this state, as ABT does little in the way of advertising events through the local media, and many anglers down this way are still pretty much in the dark as to what tournament fishing really is.

I even went to the extent of lending my boat to a couple of ABT anglers unknown to me (one from Sydney, the other from Singapore) so that they could fish an Adelaide event I could not attend due to work commitments!

I got a real kick in the pants at a briefing session prior to one event, by Simon Goldsmith, who stood up in front of all competing anglers to express his disappointment with SA anglers. He went on to explain that entry numbers are not growing, that ABT cannot justify catering to the numbers here, and that they would not be returning the following year!

I was hurt and appalled! The anglers who had supported ABT since it's conception in this state, the anglers who had done their best to attract interest, and the anglers who have always been there for each ABT event were getting a dressing down and being asked "what is wrong with us" down here!

I was so angry that I almost walked out of the briefing never to return, and the only reason I stayed and fished the event was because as a boater I had two paid up non-boaters relying on ME to be there so that they could get a ride on both tournament days. I did vow though, if an apology for the way us anglers were treated was not forthcoming, I would no longer be back to fish ABT events, and as no apology came, I have stood by that decision since.

I never thought it was my job to promote your events, but both I, and my SA counterparts had been working bl**dy hard season after season, trying to drum up business for you and increase numbers!

Understand from my own perspective! I am an average angler with a family and a mortgage, who does not have the time to commit getting out chasing Bream all the time and having my finger on the pulse. Because of this I do not make podium finishes or take out prizes, and I do not attend interstate events. I fish each local event here when it comes to my home state, looking at my membership and entry fees as simply a donation towards the better anglers, and that I am there only to make up numbers and give a couple of non-boaters a ride.

It costs money, I have no chance at big prizes, and the cost of each tournament along with membership fees already had me scratching my head, as to why I continue to pay to go fishing when instead I could enjoy a day out fishing at my own leisure with no associated fees and no strangers on my boat.

After getting a dressing down from a tournament director, and being told I am to blame for low numbers, it wasn't hard to make a final decision to leave, and now this large increase in tournament fees has just helped to cement the fact that I will not be returning to ABT fishing.

I think you may find that a number of anglers such as myself are also up in arms, as I'm only here posting now because I heard the uproar on the grapevine and was directed to this thread by other anglers.

In future I'll be supporting my own local state based competitions, and I firmly believe this change in fee structure will see numbers drop further, as all the average anglers like myself re-assess their priorities. The non-boaters will not get rides at all if the average boaters pull out, and I expect ABT will turn in to an exclusive "big boys" club for the fast boats, sponsored anglers and big money, and if this eventuates as I envisage, expect tournament fees to continue rising as the field narrows!

Good luck to you and enjoy your tournaments. I'll be fishing budget and social events in future (which ARE getting the numbers, support and good turnouts here in this state), and you can also find some other anglers to dress down for the low numbers in future, coz I wont be wearing it again!

Da BIG MAN
Angler
Angler

Post by Da BIG MAN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 pm

I think this is a great move forward for Ozzy tornament fishing. The sport needs to build and this is exactly the way to do it in my opinion. Good work. I think making it more exspensive you will detir some of the anglers. Those anglers will be back when the prizes catch their eye, dont worrie abot that. $200.00 aint even half a rod, think abot it like that. Hopefully this doesnt detir too many people.

Tea Bag
Angler
Angler

Post by Tea Bag » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Steve, I'm not that stupid. I know that.
Thats not what i'm asking for. EG: if 400 individual anglers fished in the ABT series of 2010 (most would have fished more than one) how many or what percentage of those anglers recieved prizemoney.
Those 10 of 50 may have been the same 10 in 5 tournaments, so only 10 anglers out of say 250 recieved prizemoney, though most likely not that bad a scenario!!
Andrew Mostert.
Proudly Suported by.
Fishtales Bait & Tackle Pakenham Victoria.
Hornet Custom Rods. Rapala.

Lazzylure
Angler
Angler

Post by Lazzylure » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:38 am

I think plenty has been said on this subject, for me raising the fees to $200 has put the ABT out of reach, and after purchasing a boat and spending the last 18 months getting it tournament ready, $200 is a big slug to the wallet when you have a family, mortgage, 2 cars to run and bills etc etc. It simply won't be affordable.

Sure Non boater fees have dropped, only $100, but how do you think things will go when a boater has paid double the NB fee? is a boater who has paid double and has got more on the line going to invite his/her NB up the front to share is his fish :?: hmmmm so I can't see any value as a NB unfortunately
$200.00 aint even half a rod
fair enough, but sometimes its hard to get enough spare cash these days to buy one.

Cheers
LL
Fishing is not a Hobby........A Hobby is something you do in your Spare time....

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Da BIG MAN wrote: $200.00 aint even half a rod, think abot it like that.

It is actually 1 & 1/2 rods for me.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

Da BIG MAN
Angler
Angler

Post by Da BIG MAN » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Unfortunately this is what needs to happen to grow the sport. Personaly I cant wait to see the new weigh in station, the old one was looking pretty shabby and seem like a bit of a hazard. With higher prizes will come more sponsorship and more interest in the sport. In my opinion it will create a more elite group of anglers who put more into practice to give themselves a higher chance of winning. Im sure in the future someone will come along and fill the gap with some more affordable series with lower prize money. Maybe even a regionals or something similar to work your way up before entering the higher entry events. Im not saying that I am anything special, far from it but I think that sort of circut would be awesome. I am excited about the future of tournament fishing in Australia.

chrisf
Angler
Angler

Post by chrisf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:04 pm

The fees represent that they (the A.B.T) and the tournament profile are moving forward (i don't work for the government ) So dropping the fees for non boaters might help them put something in for fuel , i'm not saying all do it but there are a few out there thinking there above the rest ,If thats the case pro up and look after your boater and they will look after you. The cream will rise to the top.
And thats my 2cents worth.
and yes ill be back i the boat this year (theres a new star sign and it's the year of the tinnie)
it's all good :-)