FINALLY - some assistance for getting boats to/from TAS

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BREAM fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

FINALLY - some assistance for getting boats to/from TAS

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Breamers,

Thanks to a tip from of of the Tasmanian competitors this year, ABT has researched the Tasmanian Freight Equalisation Scheme and as it happens, there's provision in the scheme to assist sports persons who fish for prize money.

I've been through the situation for ABT boaters (both from the mainland and from Tassie), and I have confirmation that ABT boaters qualify for the scheme.

This is good news for anyone who had taken a boat to/from Tassie in the last 24 months. The boat-only component of your trip on the Spirit is eligible for assistance. I'm unsure of the amount, but I assume that it would make the price nearly pro-rata of what a vehicle costs.

If you've traveled to Tassie for the Qualifier round/s or from Tassie to the Grand Finals in the past 24 months, please email me and I'll forward you the forms you need to fill out.

I'll post what the Scheme refunds my trips and it will give you a good idea of the nett costs of future trips if you want to get to Tassie to do an ABT qualifier next year.

So....email s.morgan@fishingmonthly.com.au if you fit the following criteria and want the forms and email chain.

• Have traveled with your boat to/from TAS for an ABT event in the last 24 months.
• Competed as a boater.
• Still have your receipts for each leg of the journey.
• Are happy to complete a pile of forms to get the subsidy.

Note that the fares must be paid by you or your entity and you then have to apply for this subsidy. It doesn't get applied at the time of booking like the car fares on the Spirit.

Yes, you can all buy me a beer! And to the person who gave me the heads-up about the scheme in the Lindisfarne MYC, I owe you one (not that I can remember who it was....).

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Re: FINALLY - some assistance for getting boats to/from TAS

Post by tomdeer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am

Steve was right about the paperwork. Mine is all sent off and will let you know how I go.

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Post by tomdeer » Sat May 12, 2012 9:43 pm

good news. I got back $154 for my one trip.

ledge n
Angler
Angler

Post by ledge n » Sat May 12, 2012 9:49 pm

curious Tom, how much was the one way trip?

Ledge n

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Post by tomdeer » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

That trip was a year ago and I think round trip was about $1200, so $600 one way. That was for a total vehicle and trailer length of 11.5 metres but included a discount because I am in the Motor Home Assoc of Aust. (disc was around 10 or 15%)

Quoted this year about $1400 round trip.

ledge n
Angler
Angler

Post by ledge n » Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks Tom,

still a dear trip and out of reach for al ot of main landers i feel.

i appreciate your feed back mate.

Ledge n

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Post by tomdeer » Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am

The cost was the main reason that I didn't go this year. For example, its possible for me to drive to Mallacoota from Adelaide 3 times for three events at a similar cost. This, coupled with my GF aspirations and the fact that there was only one ABT event in Tas. made the decision not to go quite logical. However, next year my situation might change and if I can find a non-boater willing to travel and split costs then I'll be there.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Mon May 14, 2012 10:07 am

I claimed the last 2 x trips and got around $350 per return trip back.

The trips on the Spirit averaged $1900 return, which was an overnight sailing with private accommodation each way. Day sailings are a fair bit cheaper.

For those who claim it, it just turns up in your account as a Centrelink payment with no advice that it's been paid. Stumped my office girls for a while!

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Post by tomdeer » Mon May 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Thats pretty good Steve, I guess bigger rig equals more money back.

Anything helps and it might just be enough to tip me over.