Virgin Aust baggage warning

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BREAM fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Virgin Aust baggage warning

Post by tomdeer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

Thought that I would get it out there that Virgin Aust have changed their baggage allowances. Flying back from Sydney after the lake Mac ABT I was told that I would have to pay an additional $40 for my rods as they constituted a second piece of luggage and my fare regulations said an allowance of one piece. This change is irrespective of baggage weight. So just be warned when looking for cheap fares, all is not what it seems.

When I flew into Sydney on Jestsar there was no problem with my rods, guess I will be flying Jetsar more often in future.

ducks
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Virgin Aust baggage warning

Post by ducks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 am

Just FYI - I've been stung by Jetstar as well.
I booked normal baggage, and the particular desk attendant decided it should be booked as oversized 'sporting equipment' to account for the tube length. Despite my protests that it was my 4th or 5th flight under those same booking conditions.
I think it is ultimately luck of the draw, depending who takes your check-in and how bad a day they've had.

Edit: ps I also think (in general) the staff are stricter at the Sydney end than any of the other domestic airports anyway.

lastcast
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by lastcast » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes its a problem that keeps rearing its head i have always had problems with jetstar usually virgin have been good. One scam they have is to let you fly to your destination and when you go to return they will get you then,because they know you have to get your gear home. Usually they have an allowance for sporting goods you need to check before you travel.
Tom they would be able to check your last flight and see what you traveled with. So its just a moneymaking scam just looks like virgin are now in on it

shane dyason
Beginner
Beginner

Post by shane dyason » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Ducks and Lastcast,

I fly a lot to fish different locations, especially up in the tropics, so I'm fairly well up to speed with whats happening with this issue!

Tom is correct, Virgin have changed their baggage policy from being able to carry multiple pieces of baggage (including rod tubes) to accumulate your weight allowance, to only 1 piece of baggage in which you can carry up to 23kg in that 1 bag!
Virgin have been my preffered airline for years, because you could take multiple bags, plus they would allow you to take longer rod tubes than Jetstar, which was ideal if you had 1 piece rods.
Now if you want to take a rod tube, it will cost you $12 each way if you pre-book on the net, or it will cost you $40 if you just roll up to the airport. It will also cost you another $20 for a second bag if you pre-book or $60 if you have a tackle bag with you, and you just roll up to the airport with it. In total, they will hit you $100 for two additional pieces at the airport.
In other words, you have to pre-pay any additional baggage with Virgin now, otherwise they will smash you at the airport.

Jetstar is now the better option if you want to take mutiple bags, but they do have a length limit on the rod tubes. No problem if you have two piece rods, but if they are one piece, your tube will most likely go longer than their allowance and you will have to pay a bit extra.

Hope this help guy's....
Cheers
Bunga.