Whats happening to G LOOMIS

Discuss with people in the know your tackle related questions

Moderator: John Softly

megabass1973
Beginner
Beginner

Whats happening to G LOOMIS

Post by megabass1973 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi guys i was wondering if some one can enlighten me to what is going on with SHIMANO taking over G LOOMIS, i was told that SHIMANO Australia was taking over importing in to Aus but i was also told that SHIMANO has bought all the rights to G LOOMIS. Up until recently i only fished with loomis rods, when i went to purchase a new rod i was disappointed by their range and ended up going custom built which has far exceeded any G LOOMIS glx rods that i have, which i thought was the ducks nuts. It seems the build quality has dropped on G LOOMIS rods.
Any thoughts

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Whats happening to G LOOMIS

Post by vinnie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Shimano have owned G Loomis for longer than most people realise. I think from memory about 10 years.
Nothing has changed in there build quality or range, except that the range has expanded, greater stock levels are being held, and warranty and advertising is great.
The price has been reduced across the range, and even though expediter is now 50% of retail price, its still in some cases cheaper than before.

For those that need to know, I'm a retailer and have no other affiliation with Shimano or G Loomis other than stocking there product in my store.

Regards
Vinnie
Suffolks Sports Store, Lismore

megabass1973
Beginner
Beginner

Post by megabass1973 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks Vinnie, So was the change around the same time the rods like spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc were released? My first Loomis was a gl3 pr8400 it was a nice rod then i bought a spinnerbait rod of similar class and it was not a patch on the other rod, as in finish( epoxy drip around bindings gaps in bindings) or am i just looking into the rods with to high expectations?
MILLERODS XF - 32cm Bream
MILLERODS UFLC-
G LOOMIS SR 842-2 GLX - 35cm Bream
G LOOMIS CR721 IMX - 49.5 cm Bass

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 am

They certainly arn't a Megabass Rod :D

CHUNQX
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CHUNQX » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 pm

megabass1973 wrote:Hi guys i was wondering if some one can enlighten me to what is going on with SHIMANO taking over G LOOMIS, i was told that SHIMANO Australia was taking over importing in to Aus but i was also told that SHIMANO has bought all the rights to G LOOMIS. Up until recently i only fished with loomis rods, when i went to purchase a new rod i was disappointed by their range and ended up going custom built which has far exceeded any G LOOMIS glx rods that i have, which i thought was the ducks nuts. It seems the build quality has dropped on G LOOMIS rods.
Any thoughts
Out of curiousity, what blank did you go with your custom build? I've always thought that the GLX blank was amongst the best out there and although their finish is not great, the blank is really the important part of the rod and I was willing to live with the no-bling finish. I've since got a couple of megabasses and I have to say their blank would have to be as good as or slightly better than the GLX with a much nicer finish.