Beefing up your drag

Discuss with people in the know your tackle related questions

Moderator: John Softly

stapo

Beefing up your drag

Post by stapo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Has anyone DIY'd there drag wasters by removing the felt/fibre washers and replacing them with greased carbon fibre washers? If so, was it a success.

Also, in Sydney where can you buy a suitable wad or gasket punch set to cut new carbon fibre washers.

needy1
Angler
Angler

Re: Beefing up your drag

Post by needy1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

you can find a lot of information on the forums about this kind of topic. its very easy to do... and you will generally get a little bit for drag out of it compared to the standard washers. But the biggest gain you will get is at high drag pressures, the drag will be noticeably smooth and not "jerkY"

regards

ratbags
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ratbags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm

There are sets in fleabay to get you going or try a local industrial bearing wholesaler.

lukereneeseth
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lukereneeseth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

not really a worth while "upgrade". Especially if you plan on going over what the reel is originally claimed to take. Even reels that are rated say 8kg wont last all that long if your constantly loading 7/8kg of drag on it. If drag is a problem then its not being used for what it was intended for an you should really just go up a size. Carbon washers are however slightly smoother.

toygtr
Beginner
Beginner

Post by toygtr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 pm

I have upgraded all my reels with bearings and carbon fibre washers and it makes a massive difference.
I run all shimano reels (prob 14 of them) and the drags are so much smoother with them fitted with a very light greasing of cal drag grease.